Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Pulling Gooseneck with short bed

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 06:23 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJC
It's not just the weight distribution on the front or rear axle that is the reason for the ball placement. If the ball is behind the rear axle, a side force applied to the truck by the trailer will try to jack knife the rig using the rear truck tires as a pivot point to rotate the truck. If the ball is ahead of the rear axle, the vector force will push both the rear and (to a much lesser extent) the front of the truck in the same direction.

Rusty
That is almost exactly what I was going to say.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJC
It's not just the weight distribution on the front or rear axle that is the reason for the ball placement. If the ball is behind the rear axle, a side force applied to the truck by the trailer will try to jack knife the rig using the rear truck tires as a pivot point to rotate the truck. If the ball is ahead of the rear axle, the vector force will push both the rear and (to a much lesser extent) the front of the truck in the same direction.
Thanks Rusty. I'm not convinced yet. That vector force you mention being applied to the front wheels is also negligible (to a much lesser extent - your words) for a ball mounted inches ahead of the rear axle - for the same reason as the weight distribution.

I looked at a number of commercial tractor-trailers this morning on the commute into DC (18 wheelers and single rear axle city tractors) and every one of them had the pin between the axles or over the axle.

This topic interests me because I plan to purchase a toy hauler or horse trailer with a large dressing room/LQ to haul my motorcycles and bikes on camping trips and want to make sure I understand the dynamics of a 5ver or GN.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by bulabula
Thanks Rusty. I'm not convinced yet. That vector force you mention being applied to the front wheels is also negligible (to a much lesser extent - your words) for a ball mounted inches ahead of the rear axle - for the same reason as the weight distribution.

I looked at a number of commercial tractor-trailers this morning on the commute into DC (18 wheelers and single rear axle city tractors) and every one of them had the pin between the axles or over the axle.

This topic interests me because I plan to purchase a toy hauler or horse trailer with a large dressing room/LQ to haul my motorcycles and bikes on camping trips and want to make sure I understand the dynamics of a 5ver or GN.

The horse trailer I have is a 93 model so the nose is a full nose which is causing part of my problem. I talked with a person that was hauling a horse trailer with a truck like mine he had to put the ball 34" from the front of the bed to the center of the ball, which put it directly over the axle, he then also put airbags on his truck to help with stability. His trialier has a tappered nose on it which helps with the turning.

He did tell me that the first time he hooked his truck up to his trailer after have his B&W installed, in front of the axle, he busted his back glass. That is why he had to move the ball back.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:57 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
You can pull trailers with the half-length nose compartment, as it will swing clear of the cab.

Also, many trailers have no nose compartment.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:34 AM

i had the same problem you have now. i have a b&w which sits the ball about 4 in forward. i got a popup hitch to get nine more inches and i also have a 4 inch ball extender. I would of rather moved the ball back but it is already done. i have pulled many mile slike this and have had no problems. look at my pics to see my rig and of the setup
Old 05-07-2006, 02:18 AM

Does this mean that all Megacab vehicles (like my 3500 Dually) will need some sort of modification to pull a GN or 5th trailer assuming that the trailer is of uniform 102" width?
Old 05-07-2006, 11:31 PM

On my 02 shortbed i placed the ball 4inches behind the rear axle. Because of my horse trailers wide nose.I have pulled up to 20k with a 2500 with no problems. Regardless of wear your ball is located within about 6inches of the axle center it makes no difference. The truck weighs more than what your rear tongue weight is or should be. Only applications this would be a doubt about is if you were hauling extreme amounts of weight. like over 20k. Then you better get some airbags.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by bulabula
Next question: Where do OTR trucks try and put the pin? I've never looked real closely, but it seems that the pin is "usually" centered between the drive axles, but I've seen them a little forward of center too.
I drive a tractor-trailer for a living and the 5th wheels on most rigs are slide fore and aft to distribute weight evenly amongst all 5 axles. The steer axle should carry less weight, obviously. Sometimes if the load is light enough, the 5th wheel will get slid to it rearmost position to allow for greater clearance between the under carriage & dolly legs, particularly on drop decks and low boys. Doing so will however allow the steer tires to slide more easily in slippery conditions.

"Usually" the 5th wheel is positioned slightly forward of the centerline of the 2 drive axles.