Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Pulling a fiver to Florida question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 04:48 AM
Lest we forget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling a fiver to Florida question

Am going to Florida in a few wk's. Was wondering if anybody, pulling a 7500 to 8000 lb 5th wh. ever took interstate #24 from Nashville to Chattanooga? The reason for asking is, it's mountian driving and I don't have an exhuast brake on my dodge. My last dodge was a gasser and had some back pressure. Have gone that way to Florida several times, but this will be my first time in my diesel. Brakes are good on the truck and trailer. I'am just not used to [what I call free wheeling] when you let up on the throttle. Was just wondering about the safety factor. If anybody took this route an could give me some pointers it would be helpful.<br> <br> Thanks<br> Waam Holland, Mich.
Old 02-08-2003, 05:25 AM
Chapter President

Re:Pulling a fiver to Florida question

You shouldn't have any problems on I24 you'll come over mtn eagle as all interstates are ez to travel they have grades but are engineered to be safe...unlike some back roads Ive been on
Old 02-08-2003, 06:50 AM

waam,<br>I was over the road til last summer and now deliver rv's. The best advice I ever got was go slow,you can go down a million times to slow,but only part way once to fast. As for Monteagle, I hope you have a clear day. Good scenery.<br>Don't top a hill to fast,go slow. Be safe and enjoy. Be going that way myself in a few hrs.Take care.<br>Shafe<br>
Old 02-08-2003, 10:53 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Waam,

Your stats do not say whether you are auto or stick. Stick is no problem - - just select the right gear. If auto, just remember the little button on the end of your shift lever and understand how to pull down on the lever to get a lower gear when you need to get more braking. Had some pretty good sized rigs over that stretch of road.

Be sure you come to the pretty side of Florida - - west coast. (Let's see if the Hog is awake this morning. :P )

Bob
Old 02-08-2003, 12:24 PM
Lest we forget

Fiver Bob Truck is a automatic trans. Little button I assume you mean is overdrive. I don't pull to much in O.D. cause I have a 3.55 gear in my pumpkin. By pulling shift lever I guess you meant D-2 or D-1. Our first wk. will be in Brooksville and then on to La Belle on route 80 N.E. of Fort Myers. I never had a Hog, but drove Kawasaki and Honda's for 30 yr's. Not no more, got to old. Thanks to all, for the info. <br> waam Holland,Mich
Old 02-08-2003, 02:04 PM

Waam,<br><br>There is a great little restaurant in &quot;downtown&quot; (whatever you want to call it) LaBelle that has the best pecan pie you ever ate. We make it a point to stop there when we are going thru in the boat on our way to the east coast thru the locks and the big pond. Have you ever stayed at the camp sites at the locks? Sure some pretty yachts come thru there. <br><br>The Hog I was referring to was a certain member of this forum who lives on the east coast - - just wanted to see if he was awake yet today. ;D ;D I am sure the Hog would have something to say about the west coast being the pretty coast. :P Enjoy your stay. <br>
Old 02-08-2003, 05:43 PM
Lest we forget

Fiverbob<br> We are staying at Ortona Lock and Dam for five nights. You don't have a e-mail address on the fourm so I'm answering you here. I'm a Army vet. 53 to 55 so we've been eating at the Legion in La Belle, also a nice enough place. Will also ask about Pecan pie place when we get their. Thanks<br> <br> Waam Holland, Mich.<br> 23 degrees at 6:45 Diesel 1.58 to 1.69<br> <br><br><br>
Old 02-10-2003, 09:11 AM

Just be sure to tank up in Georgia before heading into Florida. Diesel is cheaper north of the border.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:57 AM

[quote author=redramnc link=board=11;threadid=10690;start=0#102861 date=1044889904]<br>Just be sure to tank up in Georgia before heading into Florida. Diesel is cheaper north of the border.<br>[/quote]<br><br>That's a big 10-4. Almost pay for an aux tank just to be able to fill up before crossing. <br><br>BrokeBuyingFuelBob