Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Pulling a 5'er with a Short Bed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling a 5'er with a Short Bed?

Diesel Gods,<br> I noticed alot of guys pulling a 5'er with a short bed. I thought a short bed might cause problems. Obviously, a long bed or a dually will give you better stability. What are the pros and cons of pulling a 5'er with a short bed? Either way, pulling with the Cummins is awsome! ;D 8)
Old 02-07-2003, 08:00 AM

Re:Pulling a 5'er with a Short Bed?

I use to tow with a short box. Not really too much of an issue. Just be sure and get a hitch that can slide back to give you that extra room if you need it backing in. Also, you won't be able to make as sharp of turns w/out crunching the cab... ;D<br><br>Tony
Old 02-07-2003, 10:59 AM

I tow with a short bed. Purchased a sliding hitch when I bought the 5th wheel at the advise of the camper salesman. I have been in some very tight spots and have never had to use it. You can also get an extended pin box on your 5th wheel, but there are pros and cons associated with this. In terms of stability, my truck has single rear wheels and I tow a 29' 5th wheel. This setup feels much more stable than my old setup of a 1/2 ton truck with a pull behind camper. I am very happy with the whole package. My smile will be even bigger this Spring when I add an edge ez ;D ;D
Old 02-07-2003, 11:32 AM

Jones,<br><br>I pull a 32 Ft Holiday Rambler with a short bed and have had no problems. I put a slider hitch in, but like Diesel Dave, I have never had to use it. The advantages of the short bed come into play when you are not towing, and need the vehicle to be the family car.<br><br>Regards, <br><br>Bill
Old 02-07-2003, 07:12 PM

I tow a 34' 5er with my short bed QC and the rig feels entirely stable. I also have the slider and have used it in tight spots especially turning the rig around in my driveway. As long as the rig is level I have minimal clearance between the trailer and cab with the hitch not slid back. But due to eneven ground in most campgrounds the slider makes cranking this thing around much less worrysome and &quot;takes the worry out of being close&quot;. We just towed the rig to the FL Keys from NEPA, about a 3200 mile round trip, and the truck pulled and handled like a dream.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:09 PM

I use to pull with a short bed truck. It can be done I did it for several years. You will get very good at watching where the trailer is in relation to the cab when backing into tight spots. You also have to watch it and not make any tight turns while going forward also.<br> I still to this day catch myself worrying about clearence while backing my longbed truck and trailer. <br> I use to consider my rig stable pulling with the shortbed. After pulling with a longbed dually, I have changed my mind about that.<br> I had a slider hitch in mine. I had to use it one time and it sucked. It was at night and I pulled into a camp site and did not have room to turn around.<br> I remember another time in Yosimite I got in that situation and I had to unhook the truck and trailer, turn the truck around and hook the trailer back up. That was at night also, I think there is a pattern there.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:54 PM

Look at the Pullrite Superglide hitch. Price and weight a fair amount but it slides back automatically as you turn so you never have to worry about forgetting to slide the hitch back and damaging the truck or trailer. It doesn't take a lot of damage to cover the price of a Superglide and if you have a 2003 they are a completely no drill application. FWIW<br><br>Casey
Old 02-08-2003, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RattlinRam pulls a big 5'er with a short bed two wheel drive and it does very well. Drop him a PM and see if he has any advice or comments. (tell him DD4X4 said to ask him about Bat Turns) ;D
Old 02-08-2003, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Try clicking on this link, it should take you right to Dennis's album to see the little truck pull a real big camper.<br><br>http://www.dodge-diesel.org/yabbse/g...s.php?album=87
Old 02-09-2003, 12:22 AM

;D I also pull a 32 ft. 5er with a short bed and have had no problems turning or backing. And it is stable in handling it.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Very nice set up there bsummit.<br>Have you started a photo album yet?<br>Let me know if you need some help if not.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:08 AM

Pulled a 31.5 5ver with a short bed for a little over 1 year. Ended up putting a slider attachment on my drawtite 16k. it is a little finicky about being flat when sliding back and forth but overall works well. Sort of like a pistol: When you need a slider, you REALLY need a slider. Didn't use it 90% of the time. New dodge is LWB so I will probably get rid of the slider attachment. Plan on towing the 5ver with the dodge and the jeeps with the ford as soon as I get my gooseneck.<br><br>Mark
Old 02-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking rig bsummit,
Before I bought the Ram, I had an 86 F-150 shortbed and 26' Nomad 5er which I had bought as a package deal. The previous owner had installed an extended pin box on the Nomad after taking out the back window on the truck. The pin box was 7&quot; longer and gave it a lot more room. When I bought the Ram and installed the RBW hitch out of the F-150, I found that if I adjusted the hitch to its most rearward position, I could do away with the 7&quot; extension. I still had to be careful when backing.
Then we bought the Cougar and it works out just great. In the 6 years of towing 2 different 5ers with 2 different trucks, I have had NO problems. Granted,,, you have to pay attention when backing, but I've never failed to put the rig where I want to and I've never had the truck or 5er touch.
Here is my way of thinking,,,,,,,,, If I need to get the truck and 5er in a 90* angle,,,, I'm doing something wrong. I feel like putting my rig in that kind of a bind is putting way too much stress on the hitch,,, the 5er pin box,,, and the suspension on the 5er because you're trying to drag one set of wheels sideways. This is just my opinion, but if I had to do it over again,,,, I would still go with a shortbed for my use. ;D

Dennis
Old 02-09-2003, 12:56 PM
Chapter President

I dont have a short bed...mines a long bed and I still get into troubles even with that...very offen I need to 90* the trailer and it gets spooky doing that....and I have hit my in bed tool box by turning and on a upgrade at the same time...I think with a short bed an extended pin box on the trailer would be helpfull too along with a slider<br><br>Ive had so many close calls that anything short of a road tractor without a bed for me is the idea vehicle ;D :'( ;D :'(
Old 02-09-2003, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Dennis, you forgot to tell him about Bat Turns.

Quick Reply: Pulling a 5'er with a Short Bed?