Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

PTO on a NV5600?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PTO on a NV5600?

Anyone use the PTO on the NV5600? Where can I buy the attachments for it? I would like to use the PTO on the trans to pump waste vegetable oil... Any ideas?
Old 09-20-2005, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pretty much a pto is a pto, not different from vehicle to vehicle. I single speed pto is not too expensive and can be obtained from a junk yard or purchased new from a big truck distributer.

The pto is not designed to be in operation on the road. Would be best money wise to use a single speed, a shaft, and a pump. A lever into the cab or a cable will operate it. That way you can pick the pump you want and a square shaft with two U joinst will hook it up.

A bit more expensive, pumps can be obtained that bolt direct to the pto hole. I have a unit here from a small fire truck application. Will operate a 1 1/2 fire hose at 100 pounds, used to have it on a brush truck.

Wondering what your purpose is. If it is pumping it out of the tank at the restaurant, best to use a closed tank, pull a vacuum on it, open the valve and slurp, its in. Just like a bigger cesspool truck. An air compressor tank would do fine. I used to build them. Just a pto vacuum pump with a line to the tank, check valve is good, drive with it on a bit and pull a vacuum. Open a ball valve with the hose in the wvo and slurp.

Could install a heater in the tank to warm it for free running back out. Same slurp hose can be used to drain it.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
pretty much a pto is a pto, not different from vehicle to vehicle. I single speed pto is not too expensive and can be obtained from a junk yard or purchased new from a big truck distributer.

The pto is not designed to be in operation on the road. Would be best money wise to use a single speed, a shaft, and a pump. A lever into the cab or a cable will operate it. That way you can pick the pump you want and a square shaft with two U joinst will hook it up.

A bit more expensive, pumps can be obtained that bolt direct to the pto hole. I have a unit here from a small fire truck application. Will operate a 1 1/2 fire hose at 100 pounds, used to have it on a brush truck.

Wondering what your purpose is. If it is pumping it out of the tank at the restaurant, best to use a closed tank, pull a vacuum on it, open the valve and slurp, its in. Just like a bigger cesspool truck. An air compressor tank would do fine. I used to build them. Just a pto vacuum pump with a line to the tank, check valve is good, drive with it on a bit and pull a vacuum. Open a ball valve with the hose in the wvo and slurp.

Could install a heater in the tank to warm it for free running back out. Same slurp hose can be used to drain it.
Thanks for the reply-- Yup the idea would be to pick up some waste veg oil from restaurants. Trying to venture into making some biodiesel for myself and the first thing on the list is collecting the oil. I've never used a PTO so not too sure what the attachments are like. Would the pump hook directly up to the SAE 6 bolt panel on the transmission or...

I would most likely being doing very small amounts at a time (5-10 gallons) so if its going to be a procedure to set it up with a driveshaft, crawling under the truck, etc., I wonder if I'd be better off with a different type of pump...
Old 09-20-2005, 04:12 PM

the pto port is SAE, standard for vehicles, as is the gear inside. Any power train company can set you up with the necessary attachments. The pto that I have came off an International five speed, and will fit my nv5600, or the 241hd hole.

Using the transfer case mount allows you to use the gears int he trans for speed selection, the trans hole is direct ratio to the engine.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool---is that the same for my np205?
Old 09-20-2005, 07:42 PM

If it has the power take off hole, it should fit.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
. If it is pumping it out of the tank at the restaurant, best to use a closed tank, pull a vacuum on it, open the valve and slurp, its in. Just like a bigger cesspool truck. An air compressor tank would do fine. I used to build them. .

now ive thought about this plan, but where can you find air tanks big enough? Ive thought about trying a water tank, something like you would get from tractor supply or something. you know the lil things you see on the back of a 4 wheeler, or on the spray trailers that lawncare people use. but im not sure how much vacume they could hold
Old 09-25-2005, 08:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We both have Muncie PTO's running rear tailshafts on our transfer cases for unloading forage boxes, which gives you more gear choices than running it off the transmission.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by kingofdodge7131
now ive thought about this plan, but where can you find air tanks big enough?
Could use an old 100# LP tank. Have seen people use them to make portable air compressors.

Most of the tanks that spray companies use are poly. Can't put pressure or vac on them. Now, if the tanks are SS, then it will depend on what the tank has been pressure tested at, if at all.