Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

To the professional haulers, what guages do you run?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the professional haulers, what guages do you run?

After our recent trip with the big fiver, I decided it may be time for more guages as the money allows. I already have Preturbo egt, and boost. Thinking about adding a rear diff temp, fuel pressure, engine oil pressure and temp, a tranny temp (6spd), and post-turbo egt.

Just wondering what guages you guys run, and do I really need all these extra guages? I think fuel pressure, post egt, and rear diff temp for sure, but not sure about the others.

What will an oil temp guage tell me that the coolant temp guage does not?

We weighed the fiver on the way to the factory, and it came across the scales at 17,700lbs. We did not weigh it on the trip to Houston from the factory, but we had the rubber roof replaced with a fiberglass roof. Don't know how that will change the weight. When we have time and get settled here, we are having a big throwing away/weight loss party . That will make it a little easier to handle, but so far the truck really does great with the trailer. We pull and work all over the western USA, so the truck sees everything from deserts and oceans, to the top of the Rockies.

I am hoping this is the last truck I have to buy for awhile, and am looking forward to at least 300,000 miles on it. I want the guages needed to take care of my baby.

Thanks again.......Steve
Old 11-10-2007, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would look into some kind of electronic gauge like a Quadzilla Commander that you could have monitor all kinds of stuff. I would say fuel pressure would be the next gauge I would add. Also a set of coolers on the NV will keep the heat down and add some extra capacity, and a MagHytec rear diff cover will also add some capacity and add a place for a temp probe.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:17 PM

A tranny and differential temp would be good for hauling heavy in hot weather. A fuel pressure gauge ok but a post turbo not needed with a pre turbo already there. Anyway there is the problem as where to mount them all. I have driven transport long haul trucks which have many gauges but the dash was designed for them but with our trucks a fellow has to do a lot of thinking as to placement....Anyway good luck with them and post pictures when finished.......
Old 11-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Banned

Im all stock gauages but im gonna have a smarty and tb exhaust soon so commander coming with that.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i run a bullydog outlooilok and have it set for pre turbo egt,boost, and rail pressure, i would say put a fuel pressure gauge, tranny temp, oil temp you already have the pressure from the factory. the diff temp ive never vthought of due to the fact that i change it at 30k . but thats my opinion
Old 11-10-2007, 04:13 PM

I'm not a professional hauler, but I would recommend a Commander and be done with it.