Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Problem with Brake Controller Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with Brake Controller Install

So I went to install my brake controller, got it mounted and ready to hook up to the factory harness. When I went to look for the factory connection I found it but it seems to be fastened in some form to a module with some other wiring going into it. This would be fine but the other wiring going into the module it seems the connector is attached to is blocking my access to plug the harness connection. Here is somewhat what mine looks like, maybe I am just having a blonde moment and cant figure out how the factory connection is attached to the "module". Thanks for any help

Wes

Old 01-24-2008, 09:01 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I left mine attached there and plugged the adapter harness into to it..that way it keeps it out of harms way..The in bed harness # is in my sig..and pics are in my profile as well
Old 01-24-2008, 09:05 PM

Mine was like that also when I hooked up my Prodigy. Just keep working at it and hold your tongue just right!! I was able to get one edge started, then kind of roll the rest of it together. Beware......when you want to UNplug it, you will really be saying dirty words!!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:28 PM

thanks guys, guess Ill just start tryin to get it to all fit together again in the morning. I didnt try to hard this evening cause it was starting to snow and I was tired of laying in a cold floorboard!!

Wes
Old 01-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
If you get the connector from the mfg that made your controller, and if you mount it close enough, you can leave it there and just plug it all together.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by radshooter
Mine was like that also when I hooked up my Prodigy. Just keep working at it and hold your tongue just right!! I was able to get one edge started, then kind of roll the rest of it together. Beware......when you want to UNplug it, you will really be saying dirty words!!
Ditto, terrible language when I changed controllers!!
Old 01-26-2008, 09:34 PM

well i got it plugged in and went to use it this evening to move a trailer, i dont know what was going on but the trailer was a 6 pin round, so i got an adapter to go from the 7 pin rv style plug to the 6 pin and i hooked the trailer all up and plugged the plug in and went to take off and the trailer brakes just locked up, i unhooked the brake controller, still did the same thing, then had to unplug the trailer to get them to release. so i moved it with no lights, luckily just down some backroads about 6 miles away.

now i gotta crawl back under the truck (after being under there for 2.5 hours doin the b&w turnover ball install today) and try to figure out this issue. i didnt have this issue last weekend when towing a travel trailer, so im wondering if its an issue with the 6 pin adapter or the trailer wiring.

wes
Old 01-26-2008, 10:55 PM
With age comes the cage

Originally Posted by TX Tech Wes
well i got it plugged in and went to use it this evening to move a trailer, i dont know what was going on but the trailer was a 6 pin round, so i got an adapter to go from the 7 pin rv style plug to the 6 pin and i hooked the trailer all up and plugged the plug in and went to take off and the trailer brakes just locked up, i unhooked the brake controller, still did the same thing, then had to unplug the trailer to get them to release. so i moved it with no lights, luckily just down some backroads about 6 miles away.

now i gotta crawl back under the truck (after being under there for 2.5 hours doin the b&w turnover ball install today) and try to figure out this issue. i didnt have this issue last weekend when towing a travel trailer, so im wondering if its an issue with the 6 pin adapter or the trailer wiring.

wes
That could be the problem as I know there is two different patterns for the 6 round connector
Old 01-26-2008, 11:34 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
That could be the problem as I know there is two different patterns for the 6 round connector
Yes, it's an issue with the adapter. There are two different accepted ways of wiring the six pin connectors, the only difference being the 12v power and brake pins reversed. The adapters I've used will come apart, and those two pins are reversible.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TX Tech Wes

wes
same thing happened to me excpet i was gossing 42k and had to go 50 miles.

i havent been able to find a way to correct my adapter yet?

brett
Old 01-27-2008, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by torquefan
Yes, it's an issue with the adapter. There are two different accepted ways of wiring the six pin connectors, the only difference being the 12v power and brake pins reversed. The adapters I've used will come apart, and those two pins are reversible.
got it, thats an easy fix, i figured it was the adapter but was in a hurry to move the trailer yesterday, thanks for the quick and easy advice

wes
Old 01-27-2008, 08:54 PM
With age comes the cage

Originally Posted by torquefan
Yeah I got burned on some factory harness's that I bought for the 32' GN I'm building..thought I would save some time and money not to mention they are sealed....by the time I scratched my head and rewired things no time saved..

Did you install an in bed harness to go with the B&W setup? check out the pics in my profile as I put in the one piece rear wheel well tubs and it shows you were to drill it and the in bed harness as well. Check out my GN's in home made trailer pics..
Old 01-27-2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
Yeah I got burned on some factory harness's that I bought for the 32' GN I'm building..thought I would save some time and money not to mention they are sealed....by the time I scratched my head and rewired things no time saved..

Did you install an in bed harness to go with the B&W setup? check out the pics in my profile as I put in the one piece rear wheel well tubs and it shows you were to drill it and the in bed harness as well. Check out my GN's in home made trailer pics..
no, I just use the bumper mounted one thats already there. The trailers I tow all have long enough cables to let me do this without a problem. I may eventually put a 7 pin in the bed also but Im not in any real big hurry.

Wes