Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Pickup crane installation in CTD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pickup crane installation in CTD?

Hi all,

Has anyone installed a pickup bed crane in their CTD? I am looking at this one:
Harbor Freight 1647 1/2 Ton Pickup Truck Crane

The base of the crane is a steel plate that bolts down at the four corners of the plate. It says that it needs to be bolted through the pickup bed AND through the truck's frame. Looking underneath my CTD, the bed sits several inches above the frame and the frame isn't lined up underneath the mounting location.

So, my question is, has anyone mounted one of these in their CTD and how did they do it? Is the truck bed metal thick enough to support it without going through the frame, or can some adaptation be made to make it work?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Banned

I built my own crane. It slides in and couples to the gooseneck ball. You'll have to do some metal fab to get that baby in there. Definately go to the frame, that is about all I can offer as far as advice.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sdaly
Hi all,

Has anyone installed a pickup bed crane in their CTD? I am looking at this one:
Harbor Freight 1647 1/2 Ton Pickup Truck Crane

The base of the crane is a steel plate that bolts down at the four corners of the plate. It says that it needs to be bolted through the pickup bed AND through the truck's frame. Looking underneath my CTD, the bed sits several inches above the frame and the frame isn't lined up underneath the mounting location.

So, my question is, has anyone mounted one of these in their CTD and how did they do it? Is the truck bed metal thick enough to support it without going through the frame, or can some adaptation be made to make it work?

Thanks for your help.

I really like that alot. I could use one of those. Sorry, I can't help with info and I know nothing about them. But, thanks for the idea. Let me know if you get it and if it works as expected. It looks like it will fold down and maybe rest just above the pass. side wheel well, out of the way.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:14 PM

That's a really nice setup, 4x4dually! Yeah I figured I'd have to fab something and that's no problem for me. Hooking into the gooseneck hitch is a clever idea, I like that. Might be an excuse for me to finally install a gooseneck hitch!

I'd actually like the crane to be installed off to the side though so it can swivel around to place cargo in the pickup bed, so I think that idea is kinda out for me. But the idea of fab'ing a large slide-in base like you have might be worth considering. One other thought I just had though is maybe I can find some long enough u-bolts that can go around the truck's frame and up into the base plate for the crane. Thanks for the ideas so far!

TexasCTD, yeah I really like the design of this particular crane because it will fold down out of the way. It looks like it all folds down low enough that my tonneau cover can still close up. And, it doesn't really take up much space. You can still get cargo, even 4x8 sheets of plywood in the bed without the crane interfering. A crane would sure be handy for smaller engines, transmissions, barrels and other heavy stuff. Right now I have to back my truck up to my shop crane to load/unload, and I have to make sure that whoever I'm picking stuff up from has a crane or forklift on their end to load things into my truck. The engines I'm picking up are only about 350 lbs, so this pickup crane would be perfect.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah that would be very handy to have it off to the side like that. I may have to get one soon. I have a 5th wheel hitch that I like to remove from my bed and I usually have to get a buddy to help me get it out. I can do it by myself, but boy is it a bear. It probably weighs about 170-180lbs. This would be sooooooo much easier than breaking my back.

And, it would be hand other times too for whatever you need to lift. Good find.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been considering something like this. I have a 400 pound generator that i need to lift in and out all the time now. I wonder how it would act with 400 lbs on one side of the bed.

The manul on the HF model shown says it needs to be bolted to the frame, not the bed. Might be tricky to do if placed over tot he side as shown.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:23 PM

If anything, get a 1" thick plate, u bolt it to the frame, but run it twards the bed, bolt the crane to that, gives you a solid foundation, but still on the side? The other thing I thought of doing (may work for you) is to buy it, then buy some 2x2 stock so it can slide into the hitch. That way you can slide it in and use it, haul it with you when you need it, or take it out, plus it'll be much stronger this way. They also have those cheep ones from pep boys (engine hoists) that fold you could buy, just take it with you when you need it.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:56 PM

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts

The wife and kid got me the larger version of the Harbor-Freight crane for Christmas, a couple years ago.

It is the one that has a crank-winch and a hydraulic ram-jack.

I have used it for everything, including small logs, big generator, big squares of hay, transmissions, etc.

I love it and use it frequently.

I mounted a thick plate under the flat, with nuts welded to the bottom of the plate.

This way, I can tighten, or remove, the bolts that hold the crane to the truck, with only one wrench, as the nuts being welded cannot spin.

I can install, or remove, my crane in less than three minutes.

I recommend them highly.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I've actually done this in the ceiling of my garage:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40765

I tossd a pipe across some rafters, slipped the two loops on the back through the pie and plugged it in. I use it now to lift my 5'er hitch in and out, but I need to begin lifting a large generator in and out. The lift will do the job, but the rafters won't. I think I'm going to stick with this but add a steel frame that I can support with legs so I can support it better tot he slab, rather then tearing down some rafters. I have a 24' span and it scared me whe i tried to lift the genny.

The diffrence is it's 110, and you can't take it with you, AND you have to move all the crap outa the way to load something. But a year ago, when I got it, it was sufficent for what I needed.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:43 AM

I needed to keep my bed clear and still lift a 500+# genny into the bed so I went a lookin and found this
http://www.spitzlift.net/
hooks into the reciever , is powered by yer arm, and works well for me, it can be mounted in the bed as well ifn you want. Works well for me. might be worth a look
Thom
Old 10-10-2006, 10:06 AM

I have the larger model with the crank winch and bottle jack, it was easy for me to mount because I have a flatbed. But mostly I just wanted to say I have used it once, to unload my new dana 80!! It lowered the truck a couple inches on that side with the weight on it. So how much does a dana 80 weigh?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:11 AM

That Spitzlift is pretty cool! Although, I about fell over when I saw the prices.

As TAS05CTD610 said, it would be easy enough pick up some 2x2 stock to just weld up a hitch receiver bracket like the spitz but use it to attach the HF crane. I might do that.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:35 PM

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts

It would be a simple matter to mount either of the HarborFreight cranes to a receiver-hitch connector, complete with an adjustable ground-contact stabilizer plate, or even outriggers.

When I get time, I just may cobble something up.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I welded my HF pickup crane on to a 2inch reciever bar. I'm still working on it now. I didn't want to mount it in the bed losing the bed space. I'll try and get some pics of it on.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by BearKiller

The wife and kid got me the larger version of the Harbor-Freight crane for Christmas, a couple years ago.

It is the one that has a crank-winch and a hydraulic ram-jack.

I have used it for everything, including small logs, big generator, big squares of hay, transmissions, etc.

I love it and use it frequently.

I mounted a thick plate under the flat, with nuts welded to the bottom of the plate.

This way, I can tighten, or remove, the bolts that hold the crane to the truck, with only one wrench, as the nuts being welded cannot spin.

I can install, or remove, my crane in less than three minutes.

I recommend them highly.

LOL DIDDO. I also got the bigger one for Christmas, and used it a lot until I got my GN trailer. I welded a thick plate to the bed floor in the rear corner, and ran 2 bolts through the truck frame, and 2 through the supplied angle iron. I purchased a small 2k lb electric winch from them a while back and mounted it up where the hand crank went. It worked great and I still have it. Maybe Ill remount it again sometime.