Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Payments on an RV

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RSOPNCO1
TX has a sales tax. you will pay when you register it Bowie county is 6.25% so be on the look out fir the lowest price possible. I bought mine at a FEMA auction. 2006 35' Bunkhouse super slide. I would tell you try to buy from a person instead of a dealer if you could some times you get better deals.So rock crawler how is El Paso? I used to be stationed at Bliss back in 97-2000 and worked on bliss for part of 2003
Thanks RSOPNCO. I have started to look around local for a used 5th wheel (private owner) but just not ready for a month or two.

Right now it is too darn windy here in El Paso!!! And it is not even March What took you away from Bliss? You done with the Army?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah im done with the camo side i now work on the civilian side on the other side of TEXAS. will always have good memories of that place but a few bad ones Roving Sands, White Sands, McGregor Range Tobin Wells just to name a few
Old 01-30-2008, 08:48 PM

I agree on favoring used, just don't buy one too old. Maybe one or two years old. I've never financed a used one so check rates. My new one was financed for 12 years and luckily I'm fairly happy with it because it lost half it's value the first year. Next time I'm going to buy used. I've never lost money on a used one. If you decide on a new one just make sure you love RVing. Good luck
Old 02-02-2008, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
Would I look under it for the damage or are you talking about signs of damage on the inside? Or just both ( I probably answered my own question)
I am mainly referring to roof and sidewall damage from water leakage (rain). I have been unlucky enough to purchase two used rv's with major roof and sidewall damage.

My first rv was a 10 year old TT that had sat for 3 years. The owner covered up the water damage by installing new wall paper and patching up the interior panels. MAJOR problems for us 3 months later. We traded it in and practically gave it away.

My previous unit was bought at 1 years old and appeared to be in great shape. I owned it for 4 years and did the proper upkeep caulking and maintenance. About 8 months ago I noticed soft spots at my 3 roof vents. I realized then that the manufacturer incorrectly installed the vents resulting in leakage behind the caulking.

Hopefully I am older and wiser now. We purchased our current rv new and did all the caulking and upkeep immediately. Even changed out them pesky roof vents. One of my summer projects will be to build a carport for the rv to keep the weather, rain, and sun off the rv. Hopefully this combination will lead to many years of carefree enjoyment.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:31 PM

We have an 05 model that is going up for sale in May that was ordered with every option and is in excellent condition. We are getting ready to order our retirement trailer.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:36 PM

Got a new one no regrets

Purchased my 5er in sept 04 bought 05 model at show price. My wife and I used it last year from easter on almost every weekend with lots of road trips (have 50000 miles on it). We are the camper everyone comes to for entertainment so We've decided to upgrade. I paid 39,000 for the camper and have spent quite a lot on upgrades, Converter, Solar panel, extra batteries, Satilite, basicly all the comforts of home. My interest rate is 5.5% on 15 year, I was offered 42,000 for trade and they would move my Solar panel and control, best interest rate I could get now is 7.9% 15 year. We've been holding off on the new one, Priced around 73,000 when we started. Off season price is now down to 65,000 and getting ready to pick up the new one. I sure didn't have a problem with loss of money, Just make sure it's well spent. Found ours is worth every penny we've paid for it. looking forward to the new one. We're in our 40's not retired and still both work full time. I can say if it's something you enjoy do it right. (can't take the money with you, lifes to short enjoy what you have while you can).
As far as purchase make sure you shop around, there are great deals on used units a lot of people buy and find out they only use it twice a year so you can find like new easily. We went new because we didn't want to buy someone elses head ache.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by stllost
Purchased my 5er in sept 04 bought 05 model at show price. My wife and I used it last year from easter on almost every weekend with lots of road trips (have 50000 miles on it). We are the camper everyone comes to for entertainment so We've decided to upgrade. I paid 39,000 for the camper and have spent quite a lot on upgrades, Converter, Solar panel, extra batteries, Satilite, basicly all the comforts of home. My interest rate is 5.5% on 15 year, I was offered 42,000 for trade and they would move my Solar panel and control, best interest rate I could get now is 7.9% 15 year. We've been holding off on the new one, Priced around 73,000 when we started. Off season price is now down to 65,000 and getting ready to pick up the new one. I sure didn't have a problem with loss of money, Just make sure it's well spent. Found ours is worth every penny we've paid for it. looking forward to the new one. We're in our 40's not retired and still both work full time. I can say if it's something you enjoy do it right. (can't take the money with you, lifes to short enjoy what you have while you can).
As far as purchase make sure you shop around, there are great deals on used units a lot of people buy and find out they only use it twice a year so you can find like new easily. We went new because we didn't want to buy someone elses head ache.
I'm sorry, but no dealer is going to give you $42k in 2008 for a trailer you got at a "great price" of $39k in 2004. What they ARE going to do, is sell you a trailer with a MSRP of $73k at an "off season price" of $65k and "give" you $42k for your trade, making you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The thing is, as a general rule, you probably shouldn't be paying more than $55k (~75% of MSRP) for the trailer to begin with (probably less?) due to the HUGE markup on RV's. You are just paying way too much for the new RV so they can make it seem like they are giving you big $$ for your trade. If you paid $39k for your trailer in '04, I'd be suprised if it is worth $30k now.

Don't believe me? Go to your dealer and tell him you've stumbled on an excellent deal on a nearly new rv from a buddy that you just can't pass up. Since you got such a smoking deal from your buddy and obviously don't need 2 RV's and you greatly appreciate EVERYTHING they've done for you thus far, you are willing to "pass along the savings" to them. Tell them you will sell them your 2005 trailer for $35k, which is $7k less than they were going to give you on trade, just to help compensate them for the time they've spent with you and keep up the good relationship. Do that and see what they say. Bet they come up with excuses REAL quick as to why they can't buy your trailer from you, even at such an OUTSTANDING price!

Or, if you prefer, walk in and tell them you've already sold your trailer and you would still like to get the one you had been looking at with the MSRP of $73k. However, due to (insert whatever you want here) you are only going to be able to afford to pay $55k. I bet IF they even let you leave the lot without signing papers they will be calling you within 2 weeks and telling you "great news, due to blah, blah, blah we can now accept your offer.......when can you come down?" Tell them you have great news too! The guy buying your trailer backed out, but you sold your boat for $13k yesterday. You'll be down with your '05 trailer for the $42k trade and the $13k in cash and finish the $55k deal. What do you think they are going to say?

Don't take this the wrong way.......I'm not trying to be rude. Who knows, maybe I misunderstood something in your post? If not, all I am saying is, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is, and if you do your homework prior to your purchase it will save you LOTS of money on an RV!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:27 PM

Did my home work and it is paying off. I have checked pricing on the same unit I'm buying at 7 other dealerships within a 500 mile radius. I know where your coming from it looks to good to be true. Just picked up the right camper at the right time. blue book on my camper with the extra's is 45600.00 I've done my home work but appreciate the advice. Sometimes a good deal really can be a good deal.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:00 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by stezlaki
I'm sorry, but no dealer is going to give you $42k in 2008 for a trailer you got at a "great price" of $39k in 2004. What they ARE going to do, is sell you a trailer with a MSRP of $73k at an "off season price" of $65k and "give" you $42k for your trade, making you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The thing is, as a general rule, you probably shouldn't be paying more than $55k (~75% of MSRP) for the trailer to begin with (probably less?) due to the HUGE markup on RV's. You are just paying way too much for the new RV so they can make it seem like they are giving you big $$ for your trade. If you paid $39k for your trailer in '04, I'd be suprised if it is worth $30k now.

Don't believe me? Go to your dealer and tell him you've stumbled on an excellent deal on a nearly new rv from a buddy that you just can't pass up. Since you got such a smoking deal from your buddy and obviously don't need 2 RV's and you greatly appreciate EVERYTHING they've done for you thus far, you are willing to "pass along the savings" to them. Tell them you will sell them your 2005 trailer for $35k, which is $7k less than they were going to give you on trade, just to help compensate them for the time they've spent with you and keep up the good relationship. Do that and see what they say. Bet they come up with excuses REAL quick as to why they can't buy your trailer from you, even at such an OUTSTANDING price!

Or, if you prefer, walk in and tell them you've already sold your trailer and you would still like to get the one you had been looking at with the MSRP of $73k. However, due to (insert whatever you want here) you are only going to be able to afford to pay $55k. I bet IF they even let you leave the lot without signing papers they will be calling you within 2 weeks and telling you "great news, due to blah, blah, blah we can now accept your offer.......when can you come down?" Tell them you have great news too! The guy buying your trailer backed out, but you sold your boat for $13k yesterday. You'll be down with your '05 trailer for the $42k trade and the $13k in cash and finish the $55k deal. What do you think they are going to say?

Don't take this the wrong way.......I'm not trying to be rude. Who knows, maybe I misunderstood something in your post? If not, all I am saying is, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is, and if you do your homework prior to your purchase it will save you LOTS of money on an RV!
i think you have got the rv dealers pegged.... i couldn't have said it better. auto dealers are the same
Old 02-05-2008, 05:24 PM

Definetly do your homework. There are a lot of recommendations on this site about good RV's, bad RV's, what to look for.
I would look at a lot of RV's, with your spuse. Learn what you like , or not.
Get a book on purchaisng RV's. Talk to people you know who own them, get their opinion. Talk to full timers at RV parks.
Used is the way to go. Many used rigs have th bugs mostly gone. There are many NEW horror stories, especially on MotorHomes.
2-3 years old is a sweet spot. Over 50% less than list, often like new.
A good site to research is pplmotorhomes.com . They have all types, largest consignment dealer in the country, in Houston. You can look at floor plans, pictures, prices. Their rigs are fairly priced, with some pretty good deals.
Happy hunting!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks again for the great responces!! I am still overwhelmed now at the different brands and options. I will probably start going to the local dealers again to get a better feel of what we are going to want. I have been looking in the local newspapers and such and not too many for sale right now.

What are some brands to stay away from?