Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Payments on an RV

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife and I bought our first RV last year. We bought a used 5er since I had camped alot with my parents when I was growing up (many years ago) and she had never camped in an RV. We did this with the thought that we could get most of our money back if she did not like it. Fortunately, she loves it and we are now looking at buying a bigger unit. This has allowed us to see exactly what we like and don't like about our current unit and really helps alot in looking at newer ones. The reason I ended up with my CTD is to pull the 5er which made me very happy. We are in our early 40's and are planning on full-timing when we retire. Looks like you are getting some real good information here and I would second what you have been told. Rv.net is a very good source also as someone has already posted.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:17 AM

Financed a motorhome a few years back for 20 years at 5.99. Same loan today is over 7%. Long term loans are available but you have to shop around.
If you decide to buy, may I suggest a higher end rig that's a few years old. You will spend a little more but the quality is defintely worth the difference. While there are several makes, I'm personally familiar with Newmar and NuWa(Hitchhiker) bought several years old with no problems.
This is the time of year that RV shows are in abundance. Survey the shows to find a floor plan that you like and see the differences in makes.
Good luck and enjoy rving.

Bill
Old 01-26-2008, 10:16 AM

You mentioned waiting till summer, i just bought an 2005 aerolite cub 236 for $9000 in nov. I think your best deals on used trailers are now befor the new ones come out so they got to clear the lots to make room for the new models. The dealer was asking $11,900 and wanted it gone. it looks to me like it was used once or twice. The unit new i think was close to $19,000 If you wait till summer i think you'll pay more. as for finacing i paid cash so cant help you there. Good Luck and have fun camping!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:56 PM

When I bought my trailer at he end of 06, the dealer and the finance guy were telling me that all the interest could be used for tax purposes, a 2nd house if you will, because it has a bathroom, kitchen and bedroom. Anyone else writting off their interest?
Old 01-26-2008, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CamperDave
When I bought my trailer at he end of 06, the dealer and the finance guy were telling me that all the interest could be used for tax purposes, a 2nd house if you will, because it has a bathroom, kitchen and bedroom. Anyone else writting off their interest?
Yup. You just have to use it a total of 2 weeks a year.

And back to the how much to pay. Ours was new and had some slight hail damage on one side. Listed for 26500 and we bought it for 19600 including an outdoor grill and the entire sway hitch set up.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:40 PM

If you need to go longer than 48-60 months to make it affordable, then its too much money. My old boss bought a used diesel pusher coach and went 15 years to make it work (payment was still just over $1000 a month), considering how fast these can depreciate you may find yourself upside down in the loan if you want to get rid of it like he did 9 months later (about 25k!!).
Old 01-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
MANY thanks for all the GREAT info here. Too many to quote so I will say this will help a lot in the very near future!!! You have answered several questions I didn't even think about yet.

Keep the info comming.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:23 PM

I don't think Tx has sales tax anyway but in Az. there's no tax if bought used from a private party. Besides, in 5 yrs with a 15 yr loan, you'd be so up side down, it would take therapy and meds to be able to sleep! I bought mine used and I could give it away and not lose what the depreciation is on a new one after 2 yrs. New stuff is grand but "paid for" is priceless! Craig
Old 01-26-2008, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Danavilla
I've owned several Rvs over the years and am a STRONG believer in buying a used, and comparatively inexpensive RV for your first one. That way you actually get hands on experience of what will make you happy in one. I've known a number of folks who jumped in and got a "real nice" one only to learn that they either didn't use it after a while, or it didn't quite fit their needs and lifestyle.

Dan
Have to agree completely. I am on my fourth TT, finally have the floor plan that we can use for retirement. Each of the others had strong points but we kept finding things we would like different. Also the depreciation as you drive off the lot is a killer if you do not keep the unit a number of years. Also spend some time at RV Shows, lots of ideas there.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:01 PM

If you buy used, be very careful and look closely for water damage from leakage. Most RV buyers don't do the proper maintenance and don't even know that they are supposed to caulk the roof, slides, and etc.

Used is cheaper, but may not be a "better" deal. New depreciate faster, but you control how it was taken care of and how it was used/abused.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cdhd2001
If you buy used, be very careful and look closely for water damage from leakage. Most RV buyers don't do the proper maintenance and don't even know that they are supposed to caulk the roof, slides, and etc.

Used is cheaper, but may not be a "better" deal. New depreciate faster, but you control how it was taken care of and how it was used/abused.
Would I look under it for the damage or are you talking about signs of damage on the inside? Or just both ( I probably answered my own question)
Old 01-28-2008, 03:29 PM

The only good reason to lengthen your payments is that the money is worth less the longer the time out....

Is your current pay/income going to increase? Or decrease?

I asked around before I bought mine and I am glad I did. I was told about the front sleeper and thats what I bought.....I bought perfect the first time......I bought a 26 footer...I don't live in mine but to tell you the truth its so comfortable I could. I love the front bedroom that I got. I learned about the pain of not being able to walk around the bed before I bought it, but thats not so bad.

I know saving money doesn't do much for me......Buying real estate is about the only good investment. Anything other than that your money is worth less and less. An Rv Doesn't depreciate as much as a gallon of gas does....I drive 20 miles and a gallon has fully depreciated...ha ha....Just .02 worth
Old 01-30-2008, 07:42 AM
Muted User

You could drive up to where they build them ,and save about 10k, or have it shipped to you for a $1.25 a mile.
http://www.rvcapitalwholesalers.com/...CW/pc/home.asp
Old 01-30-2008, 06:59 PM

TX has a sales tax. you will pay when you register it Bowie county is 6.25% so be on the look out fir the lowest price possible. I bought mine at a FEMA auction. 2006 35' Bunkhouse super slide. I would tell you try to buy from a person instead of a dealer if you could some times you get better deals.So rock crawler how is El Paso? I used to be stationed at Bliss back in 97-2000 and worked on bliss for part of 2003

Quick Reply: Payments on an RV