Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

PacBrake Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PacBrake Install

Just finished the installation of my new PacBrake. It took about 3 hours and I still have a couple little things left, like mounting the switch and tying up a few wire routes. The instructions were ok, but the connections on the in-cab switch may catch a few folks out, because the instructions were not clear enough on hook-ups. I say this because they did not identify the teminals correctly, so it's a 50-50 chance of blowing the fuse the first time you throw it. I blew it first time, but checked the switch out afterward and changed my connections and it worked perfectly after that.

Getting the blank pin out of the ECU connector proved to be the biggest challenge. You have to remove the two bolts that hold the fuel filter to the manifold and move the filter out of the way, in order to see it. But my old eyes have a hard time seeing what I need to see when working in these areas, so it's my problem I suppose. In the process I managed to pull apart my new connector to the MAP sensor and broke one of the latches that hold the pins in the housing..............sheesh. Fortunately me sweet wife came out with the MagLight and patiently held it where I needed it, so I could effect a repair on the connector. I managed to get it together and pronounced it good when the big Cummins started up immediately.

Braking is AMAZING. When you roll out of the pedal and 2-3 seconds later that valve closes, it tosses you forward in your shoulder harness like a big gasser. It works perfectly with the cruise control, but the big test comes later this week when we take off cross country with the 5er.

If you can read and hold a wrench, you can put one of these in. I looked into them a bit before I made the decision to buy and decided that this one would work the best for me in terms of price and performance. It works invisibly until you need it, you don't even know it's there until it engages. Warm-ups are quicker with it on and the sound when it kicks in sounds cool..........even the wife liked it.

Next up: Jordan Ultima Brake Controller install...................tomorrow, I think.

Jack