Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Overhead Camper Plans

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 07:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Overhead Camper Plans

Well, been looking for a used overhead or slide-in (you know what I mean) for the wife, but have not been able to find anything she likes that I can afford right now. Being handy, I decided to build my own if I can find the plans. Anybody else had any luck doing this sort of thing? Ideas? Thanks,<br>Ed
Old 05-24-2003, 11:38 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Overhead Camper Plans

If your anything like me JUST BUY ONE! . I think you will be money ahead to just buy one. I helped a buddy restore one and man what a pain in the butt! Keep your eyes out, you will find a good deal and somthing she likes. <br>just my .02
Old 05-24-2003, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed,<br> Many years ago, I found a shell for a slide in and built my own interior for it. Decided it was a real pain to build and still didn't have things where they needed to be.<br> My suggestion would be to keep looking and find a layout you like at the price you want to pay. MAy take time but it would be worth it.<br><br>Bill
Old 05-24-2003, 09:41 PM

Most women don't like havin to slide-in to that Over-the Cab. Don't ever awaken with a start, head meets ceiling fast, ceiling wins. :'(
Old 05-24-2003, 10:22 PM

Your better off to just buy one. I've had three slide-ins over the years..and i really like them.....however, i've yet to see a homebuilt one that DOSEN'T look homebuilt and if you buy a shell and refit it your going to run into problems with dryrot and wiring etc. <br>Unless your Tim the tool man Taylor....i'd just look around till you find a good deal.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:40 PM

[quote author=goldenears link=board=11;threadid=15085;start=0#141802 date=1053832921]<br>Unless your Tim the tool man Taylor....i'd just look around till you find a good deal.<br>[/quote]<br><br>If he is Tim the Tool Man Taylor, his brother is my neighbor Ken the Tool Man Taylor. Ken the Tool Man owns Hangtown Tool AKA Placerville Polaris. Ken the Tool Man Taylor has himself pictured on local Buses in life size adds.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well you guys convinced me. Gonna wait and see what I find. No real hurry. Thanks for the inputs. Oh yea, just being honest here, have had &quot;several&quot; Tim the Tool Man experiences <br>Ed
Old 05-25-2003, 11:07 PM

Hi Ed,<br>I have to agree with everyone else. Buy one. A home made unit would likely be so heavy that you would need a 2ton rig to haul it. To make it lightweight, yet strong takes a lot of engineering.<br>I have and had the same issues as you. Limited funds, yet the desire and need, so to speak. There was nothing at all in the local paper for camper coaches, or truck campers, or slide ins. Seems that they have taken on several different names over the years.<br>I did a number of web searches. I finally came across a dealer in Dover, Delaware that was willing to work with a cheap skate like myself. They went the extra mile. Alexander RV has a lot of Truck Campers. (Use Truck Camper for your search). I bought used. I asked them to put me on their list, as use truck campers go as fast as the can get them in. <br>I know that is quite a ways from you. But, just incase, their Web Site is http://www.alexanderrv.com or e-mail doug@alexanderrv.com<br>Real good salesman and a straight shooter.<br>I ended up with a nicer unit than they originally had found for me. I was to get a `92 Star Craft and ended up with a `97 Lance for not much more money.<br>By the way. Banging your head in the cab over of our Lance is not an issue. Good head room for a cab over.<br>That Lance has a full queen size bed in the cab over, A/C, Furnace, 3-way frig, water heater, range/oven, hood, fantastic vent, bathroom/shower, exterior shower,electric jacks, prewired for stereo and tv (now installed), dual propane tanks, its own battery, exterior lighting, receptacle, cable ready, charger/convertor, etc. It is 9' 6&quot;. <br>Not knowing what you money situation is like. They Make a Lance Lite which is not too terribly expensive. <br>Of course,if you had the money, the Lance Slide out models are king! Wish I had one. Really nice!!!!<br>Oh, no sales tax in Delaware!! Well, at least when I bought mine.<br>Truck Campers, as the industry knows them, have come quite a long ways. Tons of features and very efficient and comfortable. Shoot, in mine can even be used off of the truck, which I will when I go to Florida this summer.<br>Shop around find a good dealer that is willing to work with you. If you can find a private party, great, but not likely. At least the dealer stands behind the product. Shoot, they even replaced the microwave before they would even let us take it. <br>If you have the time, that is great. Take that time a search. I believe I saw that you are driving a 1ton. WOW! you have tons of options!!<br>Do consider air-bags for your rear suspension. JC Whitney has them reasonible. Get better rear shocks.<br>Check out the Happi Jac tie down system. Real strong and it can stay on the truck and not interfer with normal use. In fact, I can put my slide in bed liner in the truck with that system. With our trucks, you can also install the camper electrical receptacle in the driver's side of the bed on the side (in the bedside) and no one will hardly notice it.<br>I have found laying a piece of 1/2&quot; or 3/4&quot; plywood in the bed of the truck is a cheap way to prevent getting dents. My father use to do that back in the early `70s. Still works.<br>Good Luck! <br>
Old 05-26-2003, 02:15 AM

:-[ :-[ I wish you were out here on the Best Coast. I have a '97 Northland 8'6&quot; for sale, and have had no bites thru newspaper ads. Gonna list it in RV Trader next week. It's simple, and clean. I moved up to a Lance 9'10&quot;, and could sure use the money for vacation next month. Lar.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:38 PM

If you want to look at plans for a truck camper go to this site and look at the plans.
www.glen-l.com/campers/glenlrv.html
I been thinking about one myself. That way I can pull my car trailer and sleep in the truck. I have a 33ft 5ver, but hard to pull it and the car trailer together.
Steve
Old 05-27-2003, 09:25 PM

Hi Lar,<br>Did you get the Lance Squire 5000?I have the 4000, a `97. We love it. My only complaint is I can't get my fat A** in the bathroom if the table-bed is set up as a double bed. I guess you know if you pull up the false floor under the table, you can make that a single bed. Then I can access the bathroom.<br>We plan on going to Florida next month and like will need that A/C unit. I often flat tow my Jeep CJ behind it. Works great.<br>Lance told me that you can use it off of the truck. So, the CJ will stay home during our trip.<br>They said go about as low as the jacks will let you and bring the front up 1&quot;. I bought the 45degree drain fitting so the pooper can still drain when using it that way.<br>See ya!
Old 05-27-2003, 10:53 PM

;D ;D Several things pop into mind............ 1st, yes, it's a '97 Squire 5000. I had a chance to use it for the 1st time last week, when I met a group of fellow Kolb aircraft builders at Monument Valley, Utah for a fly-in. Take a look at www.webpictures.homestead.com/travelling.html , or start at my homepage of , www.gogittum.com and work your way thru all the other stuff. Some dandy pictures in there, for those who like to travel, and more to come. The camper was super comfortable, and I'm very pleased with it. At the end of June, I'll be leaving on a 2 month circuit of the country, and will be visiting friends in Baltimore, before heading south to Florida, and back across the southern states. I travel alone, so have lotsa room. Let me know - maybe we can split a pizza ?? Lar.