Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Nutty Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nutty Wiring Question

When my dump trailer gets here, I plan to mount a few work lights on it...Since the trailer has its own battery, wiring up a couple lights and a switch wont be a problem....What Im wondering, is how could I wire them up, so I could activate them from a switch in the cab?? I guess you'd call it 2-way wiring? Would it be possible? Im thinking of adding a simple 4-pin plug when I wire up my 7-pin in the bed....The 4-pin would be for switching the lights...
Old 05-16-2006, 06:13 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Okay, you want to be able to switch the lights from truck or trailer.

No problem, so long as you turn them off with the same switch that turned them on.

Run a hot wire to each switch, and a wire from each switch to the lights, or the wire that feeds them.

No matter which switch you turn on, the lights will light; but, they must be turned off with the same switch that turned them on.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:44 PM

Wire a single pole double throw switch on the trailer with a single pole double throw relay also on the trailer. The switch on the trailer will work as a three way switch as you know it in the house. The relay can be powered by a single hot lead from a switch in the truck (may be able to get that in an unused pin of your seven pin). This will then work as the other other end of your three way. You will be able to turn on and or off at either of the switches.

Make sense?
Old 05-17-2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by electrifried
Wire a single pole double throw switch on the trailer with a single pole double throw relay also on the trailer. The switch on the trailer will work as a three way switch as you know it in the house. The relay can be powered by a single hot lead from a switch in the truck (may be able to get that in an unused pin of your seven pin). This will then work as the other other end of your three way. You will be able to turn on and or off at either of the switches.

Make sense?
No, not really

Id understand a schematic better than verbal...Im not sure if I will have an unused pin....I'll have to check the wiring of the trailer
Old 05-17-2006, 10:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Herrin811
No, not really

Id understand a schematic better than verbal...Im not sure if I will have an unused pin....I'll have to check the wiring of the trailer

You probly have a back up light wire in your 7 pin that's not being used.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:53 AM

EDIT: schematic just got approved and uploaded to my gallery

Got to my trailer project thread... about halfway down page is a schematic I did to put backup, deck lights on my junk.

Stappin'Cabin Trailer Project on PBB

Lights will run with trailer by itself or with power from reverse lights or just from truck power. A switch on the dash and one on the trailer control it depending upon position.

More simply put, you can just power a relay from a switch in the truck to control the lights on your trailer... or get more involved like I did and add options like back up lights etc.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:10 PM

COOL! I can read pictures
Old 05-19-2006, 01:30 PM

btw, I went with a 3way switch on the trailer instead of two... let's you keep it off no matter what if wanted.