Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

New to RV batteries question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
One quick thing to note when looking at golf cart batteries - - look carefully at the dimensions. The footprint may be the same as a starting battery, but almost always it is about 1" or so taller. Drat it.

Jeff, that is a good website - - read that several years ago when setting up my friends solar system. He bought some stuff from them. Most people will not take the time to wade thru all the stuff, hence I refer them to Phred - - and Phred can be very phuny at times. LOL
Old 08-17-2007, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I ended up with 4, 6 volt Workaholic U2200, AH capacity @ 20 hrs is 232, Reserve 25 amp @ 474 and only weighs 63 lbs each. I got these free (my kinda price). These should hold me over for a few days boondocking.

Greg
Old 08-17-2007, 10:57 AM

Where do you get the T105's? How much do they cost?
How do they differ from the Sams(Interstate?) Golf Cart Batteries?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:27 PM

I got mine from Batteries Plus , about $95 , I bought those because my Airstream had 2 battery box's that would only fit a standard 12v in each box .
If you have room for the golf cart 6v , get those instead , Trojan makes good batteries , but the T105s , [ if I am remembering right ] being 12v have less capacity than 2 , 6v golf cart batteries , and 2 , 6v golf batteries you may get for the price of 1 T 105 , I have seen them for $39 at Sam's Club / Costco , if you want the almost the best battery , go for the Trojan [ there are better batteries , but they cost more and are harder to find almost a dedicated alt energy thing .
One way to judge is that batteries capacity is directly related to there weight & size , more lead more capacity .
Old 08-17-2007, 02:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Actually the T105 is an industrial 6v battery of 225 amp hours @ 20 hours. They are a little shorter, and a little lower capacity than the T125 and T135. trojan-battery.com lists the dimentions and specs, and they have a dealer locator.

Interstate is another battery brand. I don't know how they differ from Trojan, but if you had a specific Interstate model, you could probably look them up.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by John Faughn
I got mine from Batteries Plus , about $95 , I bought those because my Airstream had 2 battery box's that would only fit a standard 12v in each box .
If you have room for the golf cart 6v , get those instead , Trojan makes good batteries , but the T105s , [ if I am remembering right ] being 12v have less capacity than 2 , 6v golf cart batteries , and 2 , 6v golf batteries you may get for the price of 1 T 105 , I have seen them for $39 at Sam's Club / Costco , if you want the almost the best battery , go for the Trojan [ there are better batteries , but they cost more and are harder to find almost a dedicated alt energy thing .
One way to judge is that batteries capacity is directly related to there weight & size , more lead more capacity .

John,

The T-105s are 6V, not 12V.

I'm running (2) Trojan T-105s in my travel trailer and I'm totally happy with them. I paid $180 for both, including a couple custom made cables to adapt them to my coach. I bought them from a local custom golf cart maker. I also bought an Allied Long GC2 dual battery box designed for the taller 6V Trojan batteries (up to the T-145, I believe) that positions the batteries end-to-end and fits in the factory location on the trailer tongue. The whole setup cost me about $250 total and was well worth it.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
My T-105's cost me $59 apiece from a local battery shop. I made some phone calls first to find the best price. I imaging they are somewhat higher now, but I saw someone post they paid $72 apiece for the same thing. Interstate has a good rep, but they farm out production to other companies based on their specs - - that is not a bad thing, necessarily. I wanted Trojan. I would consider Interstate if they have something rated similar to the Trojan line with good guarantee - - they will sure stand behind their guarantee from all I hear.

Those that might consider installing a larger inverter and are changing batteries, do your homework on the DC wire size. My 2000w inverter takes a minimum of 4/0 cables - - big - - had to special order them to size and keep them as short as possible. One of the best safety features you can install at the same time is a catastrophe fuse of about 300a in line with the inverter. You should all ready have about a 90a in line to your dc fuse box. And, wire in a shut off switch if you don't have one.
Bob
Old 08-17-2007, 05:06 PM

Well I wasn't sure , I've got multiple battery banks set up with a variety of systems , the ones in my Airstream are Trojan 12v like said , then I have seen them go through a numger system change a few yrs ago , and most of then have the catalytic caps that recover water , only need to add distilled water once a yr , those are 135 lbs before several gals of acid go in , that a stand alone solar system .
With mutable set ups it hard to remember all the numbers .
Old 08-19-2007, 12:20 AM

When I transferred my Trojans (I think they are the 125s) to my new 5er I had to "remodel" my battery trays to take the Trojans as the top shelf was about 3/4 inch too short. I pulled the top tray out, cut the sides off and then installed it a bit lower on slide out drawer glides. Works like a champ.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I actually kicked around modifying my battery box (welding would be required) to fit a pair of L-16's in there... The high capacity version is like 420 amp hours, but those things are really huge and heavy... Hopefully I'll upgrade the toyhauler soon, though, so I went with what would fit without modification.

FiverBob, that seems like a really good price on T-105's. I also like Phred's page, but that wind-sun page has pretty much everything you could want to know about batteries on one page, although it is more than many people would care to read...