Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

NEW proposed HOS (Here we go again )

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rednax
Why should the rest of the work force have a 40 hour work week but not truck drivers? Why should firefighters and police work less dangerous jobs but have an early retirement and a full benefits pension? (Same is true for soldiers in most instances). Go read up on the subject, truck drivers are far from superhuman NOR should their job leave them without time off. .
Working a 40 hour week would mean with inspections , fueling , loading etc drivers would only be getting half the productivity out of trucks they are getting now .
Where do you get no time off ? Many get the 34 hour restart .
Old 01-12-2011, 11:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am going to have to go through that. They need to add some flexibility back into the rules. Someone does a study, with hand-picked individuals, and comes out with an "average", and they make the rules off that, assuming average means "everybody".
I quit this BS line of work and am glad of it. Being home one night a week or every other weekend doesn't allow for much of a social life.
I worked for Schneider when the first new HOS rules came out. They let solo drivers split our breaks at that point. That was the best time I've spent driving, when the rules had some flexibility and the company allowed you to use it.