Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

NEW proposed HOS (Here we go again )

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEW proposed HOS (Here we go again )

One plus for members here is time resting in a parked CMV could be logged as off duty . http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...-proposed.aspx
Old 12-26-2010, 08:50 AM

I saw that and will be looking into it further.

The wording may be the key.

Here is the wording from the proposal. Very interesting indeed.

In addition, FMCSA is proposing to exclude from the definition of “on duty,” time spent resting in or on a parked CMV. Drivers in the past have noted that the current definition makes it difficult for drivers of CMVs without sleeper berths (known as day cabs) to rest because they were considered to be on duty if they were in a parked truck. In many cases, the safest, most comfortable, and often the only place for such a driver to rest during a duty tour will be in the parked truck.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:05 PM

There is a link on the pdf to post comments . Anybody not posting a comment to support their views has no right to cry later if they aren't happy with the new rules .
Old 12-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So are you happy with the proposed changes?
Old 12-26-2010, 05:43 PM

I'm not happy w/ the potential reduction of driving hours from 11 to 10. Hopefully that won't get changed.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
So are you happy with the proposed changes?
They could be worse . They are keeping the 34 hour restart . Allowing 2 hours in the passenger seat is a good thing . They require 10 hour breaks and nobody needs to be in a sleeper 10 hours .
There is nothing in safety data to justify reducing driving time to 10 hours . This is strictly a political move to repay Teamsters for over $2 million in campaign elections in 2008 .
Old 12-26-2010, 09:44 PM

When other factors are controlled, truck drivers don't live as long or as well.

The problem is a floor for compensation, not arguing how much harder to work the slaves. No one is worth a hill of beans after 7-8 hours anyway.

I seriously doubt that HOS will ever reflect a decent compensatory environment for drivers so long as big corporations call the shots. And they do.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rednax
When other factors are controlled, truck drivers don't live as long or as well.

The problem is a floor for compensation, not arguing how much harder to work the slaves. No one is worth a hill of beans after 7-8 hours anyway.

I seriously doubt that HOS will ever reflect a decent compensatory environment for drivers so long as big corporations call the shots. And they do.
What would you suggest?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:19 AM

No one is worth a hill of beans after 7-8 hours anyway.
I'm sure you must be referring to yourself. I am only 2/3rds through my day after 7 1/2 hours! I still have miles and hours to go. 11 1/2 hours is my typical work day. 525 miles in a day cab. 5-6 days per week.
Generally speaking, generalizations are inaccurate!
It is not up to HOS Regs to specify compensation. That is up to the individual to negotiate. Or better yet, a group of individuals...Let's call that group a UNION!!! Before you get started bashing the union, re-read my statement above concerning my work week. There are a lot of us union workers that do a good job and take pride in their work.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jaxom
I'm sure you must be referring to yourself. I am only 2/3rds through my day after 7 1/2 hours! I still have miles and hours to go. 11 1/2 hours is my typical work day. 525 miles in a day cab. 5-6 days per week.

It is not up to HOS Regs to specify compensation. That is up to the individual to negotiate. Or better yet, a group of individuals...Let's call that group a UNION!!! Before you get started bashing the union, re-read my statement above concerning my work week. There are a lot of us union workers that do a good job and take pride in their work.
Yeah , these "drivers " complaining they can't work more than 8 or 9 hours kill me . How many more occupations have it tougher ? I've worked with heavy equipment operators working 10 - 12 hours a day in the summer with no A/C .
How many jobs have 12 hour shifts where you sometimes work 18 when somebody's a no show ?
The conditions are what they are . The job is a whole lot easier than it ever was .
Old 12-27-2010, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Come work in the oilfield then whine to someone when you have to work more the 7 or 8 hrs and see what happens. If you aren't worth anything after 7 or 8 hrs then you weren't worth anything in the beginning to start with.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jaxom

Why should the rest of the work force have a 40 hour work week but not truck drivers? Why should firefighters and police work less dangerous jobs but have an early retirement and a full benefits pension? (Same is true for soldiers in most instances). Go read up on the subject, truck drivers are far from superhuman NOR should their job leave them without time off.

Sure, of course a union is a better way to go. So is re-regulation of the industry in favor of small operators and individuals. (Same is true with other parts of the American economy; free trade is complete lie). The rich man and the poor man cannot "negotiate" except when the latter is organized.

I did my time behind the wheel. And may again. The hours, the time away and the risks -- short term and long term -- would still not be adequately compensated even at twice the average pay. If you've driven long enough you know exactly what I mean. Everyone in America should have a 50% raise based on productivity gains the past 40 years, and an increase on top of that for higher taxes and living expenses. Truck drivers are hardly exempt from that.

Did things get better in America 1908-1958? Unbelievably so compared to 1958-2008. Productivity, after the New Deal, meant a commensurate pay raise. The middle class is now gone . . . . (Americans have two sources of "wealth": home equity and a paycheck. Fewer now have home equity than in the Great Depression, and 70% are one paycheck from disaster, with record personal debt and record low savings. Ergo, no more middle class).

HOS falls into a larger context. Yes, we all wish to find the best balance of time versus pay.

Sorry to drag it off topic. I find it frustrating, to say the least. With decent pay and decent hours it is a job many of us enjoy.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cheap freight and companies who haul it for pennies is what is the problem.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:01 AM

Why should the rest of the work force have a 40 hour work week but not truck drivers? Why should firefighters and police work less dangerous jobs but have an early retirement and a full benefits pension? (Same is true for soldiers in most instances).
How did you come to this conclusion? A) Lots of people (those with jobs) are working more than 40 to keep the bills and taxes paid. B) more dangerous than the police or fire? Guess that depends on where you live, lala land comes to mind.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by rich
Cheap freight and companies who haul it for pennies is what is the problem.
No , people that accept jobs for the bottom feeder companies are what is the problem . The bad part is they take these jobs then quit after a few months when they can't make ends meet . That's why these companies have over 100% turnover .If people refused to work for poverty level wages the pay would have to go up .

Quick Reply: NEW proposed HOS (Here we go again )