Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

New MegaCab Question for you folks

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New MegaCab Question for you folks

OK, somehow before I bought my new 2500 MegaCab truck I got the mistaken(I think??) impression that I could tow up to 16000 lbs with a 5th wheel.

I beleive my tow rating is 12450 lbs and the max in the bed is around 1545 lbs. I have the Diesel 4x4 megacab with the 3.73 rear end which will be delivered in early December.

So anyway, here goes:

1. I was worried about the insurance thing in another thread that said basically in a wreck the insurance company automatically looked at GCWR which is 20,000 lbs for this truck. So, can I get it re-certified to a 3500 by the dealer or am I out of luck and even though I can haul more and rate this thing to a 3500 by adding airbags and the like - because of insurance concerns - I'm on my own if I choose to do so?

2. Is there a difference in tow rating between a 5th wheel and a typical travel trailer?

3. What's the best way to get the pin rating up? Should I just have the rear made at the dealer like a 3500 - if I get a trailer that big?

4. Any thoughts? - I probably won't get a trailer over 12000 lbs loaded which I think this truck should handle but I thought I would ask.

5. My truck is being made in Mexico - dealer says that's a good thing - quality is better - have you guys heard that one?

6. Truck is supposed to be done November 14th - I hope it waits till Decemeber to get here cause I might get a bigger rebate!

Thanks for any responses..............

Also,
Old 11-08-2007, 03:52 PM

I don't know the answer to any of your questions but from everything heard and read be very glad your truck is being made in Mexico. Mine was and I've had pretty good luck with it. just a few cel and such nothing big. I'm sure some rv guys will chime shortly.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by MikeRP
OK, somehow before I bought my new 2500 MegaCab truck I got the mistaken(I think??) impression that I could tow up to 16000 lbs with a 5th wheel.

I beleive my tow rating is 12450 lbs and the max in the bed is around 1545 lbs. I have the Diesel 4x4 megacab with the 3.73 rear end which will be delivered in early December.

So anyway, here goes:

1. I was worried about the insurance thing in another thread that said basically in a wreck the insurance company automatically looked at GCWR which is 20,000 lbs for this truck. So, can I get it re-certified to a 3500 by the dealer or am I out of luck and even though I can haul more and rate this thing to a 3500 by adding airbags and the like - because of insurance concerns - I'm on my own if I choose to do so?

You can just add air bags to handle the load, but I'm not sure if changing the GVWR or GCWR is possible.

2. Is there a difference in tow rating between a 5th wheel and a typical travel trailer?

I don't think so, but don't exceed the hitch weight rating.

3. What's the best way to get the pin rating up? Should I just have the rear made at the dealer like a 3500 - if I get a trailer that big?

The 3500 had a welded on strike plate/bracket that the factory overloads hit. Don't think its possible to add one to a 2500 frame without chopping up a 3500 frame. You're better off just adding air bags.

4. Any thoughts? - I probably won't get a trailer over 12000 lbs loaded which I think this truck should handle but I thought I would ask.

Add bags and you'll have no problem with a 12,000 lb 5th wheel.

5. My truck is being made in Mexico - dealer says that's a good thing - quality is better - have you guys heard that one?

That's what I hear. Mine was made in Mexico and has been pretty much perfect.

6. Truck is supposed to be done November 14th - I hope it waits till Decemeber to get here cause I might get a bigger rebate!

Thanks for any responses..............

I rooting for November 14th 'cause that's my birthday!
Old 11-08-2007, 05:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Great luck with my Mexican truck thus far-- though it was made at the Lago plant (now closed).

Justin
Old 11-08-2007, 06:29 PM

You can put overload springs or airbags on your 3/4 ton truck, but if you are over the weight ratings, you are screwed.

The police and DOT don't care if you have upped the weight of your setup, they only go by what is on the weight sticker.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by huntr70
You can put overload springs or airbags on your 3/4 ton truck, but if you are over the weight ratings, you are screwed.

The police and DOT don't care if you have upped the weight of your setup, they only go by what is on the weight sticker.

Sort of. The only law enforceable numbers are the GAWR(s) and tire load rating. GVWR can be used for licensing requirements, but the rest are manufacturers recommendations.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:52 PM

I'll check out the towing regulations in Ohio and report back. That's an interesting question about the axles. I have a CDL Class A - you'd think I'd know. However, I haven't driven in years.

I appreciate the responses guys - thanks
Old 11-08-2007, 08:54 PM

You can change your registered weight at your local Dmv.

To stay legal, you cannot overload your axles. So add up the trucks max weight on the axles, and then add your max trailer weight, again off the axles, and thats you max GCWR. Make sure your tires are rated higher than your axles.
And then like mentioned, dont go over your max pin weight, or get a new one. My gooseneck is rated at 30,000lbs.
If I remember right, the rear axle of my dually is rated just over 9,000lbs. Dry weight over the rear axle was somewhere around 4000lbs, leaving 5000lbs that I can add to it....

Its just a math game. Make sure your under and your legal.

Atleast in this state.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:05 PM

You might want to look into changing out your rear springs, adding the mini-packs, and the air bags. I believe that mod/group of mods will easily bring you up to the 3500 and a little better.

Tires also make the DOT guys nod in the direction you are looking. Right now you will have load range E tires. I forget the actual numbers but something like 3200 ea/6400 paired, that's the max up front with the Cummins. The back end will be the same, so the pin weight adds up to the unladen rear to give you your total. You are getting a SWR truck, so about the only way to get your rear totals up are to go to tires of a higher rating if that is your main concern. Couple the tires to the springs/air bags and you should be just fine. Half the secret to a good tow is having the right stuff working for you the right way.

As far as accidents, if you drive with sense and don't try to always be pushing the envelope, you should be able to handle the load you are speaking of without any problems. Many are pulling loads greater than you are talking without doing much of anything except putting their trucks into drive and going down the road. Just make sure your DL take you past the 10K towing restrictions that many DL's from many states have attached to them. You may need an RV endorsement. That adds a little cost to your license but makes you legal over the 10K to be driving with more than 10K hooked to your truck. Your truck at about 8K plus the trailer at 12K has your combined under the 26000 req for a class A license and you will not be hauling commercially or for hire. So, you might want to make sure you are OK over the 10K DL stuff, have your suspension beefed to have safe driving/handling conditions, then you should be going down the road without problems.

CD
Old 11-08-2007, 10:06 PM

#1-Don't know the answer. I don't think so.
#2-Yes, there is a difference. A pull trailer's has more of it's weight on the trailers axles and less on the hitch. A 5th wheel has 15-20% of the trailers weight on the hitch. So technically the truck can "pull" a LOT of weight but a big 5th wheel can easily exceed the GVWR of the truck before you've reached the limit on how much the truck can pull.
#3-As far as I know you can install air bags, helper springs, timbrens, and it won't legally increase the GVWR of your truck. We know that the main difference in the 2500 and the 3500 is the rear leaf spring but it doesn't change the sticker on the door after modding your truck. I'm not saying that there aren't a lot of us with 2500 trucks who haven't added air bags and virtually have the equal of a 3500....!!
#4-The megacab 2500 weighs a little more than the regular quad cab which lowers you payload capacity. I would try to keep your pin weight below xxxxlbs even after your "mods" (I hate to state a number, but a 12k 5th wheel will have a pin weight of 1800-2400lbs). You have a shortbed truck, I would recommend a sliding 5th wheel hitch. Personally recommend the Pullrite Superglide. Technically I'm guessing that you'll be overweight.

Like someone previously stated. The 2500 shares the same axle as the 3500 and most of them came with load E rated tires which are rated at 3195 (I think). If you've got the money, 19.5" tire/wheel combo gets you load G tires rated for 4500 lbs. This will be the 2nd year that they are on my Christmas list!!
Old 11-09-2007, 06:07 AM

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating(GVWR)[i]=9000
Payload[i]=1592
Curb Weight[i]=7408
Curb WeightFront/Rear=4500/2908
GAWR[i]Front/Rear=5200/6010
Gross Combination Weight Rating(GCWR)[i]=20000

Here's what's listed on the website. The gross axle weight rating of 5200 + 6010 seems to indicate the GVWR could be as high as 11,210 lbs.

Do you guys think the DMV would re-rate for this?

Am I right that the pin rating on the 5th wheel could be no more than 1592-me-my wife minus our gear? Hell I'll be below 1000 lbs.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you look out on the highway the most common "package" you see is 5th wheels and srw trucks. You are not hauling commercial, so you will not be in the scales so that greatly reduces any chance of hassle.

I used to haul a 40ft gooseneck 2-3 car hauler with a 92 Dodge 2500 std cab. Had it all plated for the weight and traveled all over the country and never had an issue.

For the last 4.5 years I have been hauling rv's and the only thing I have ever had them look at was, plates correct for weight and make sure I was not over weight (26k) since I am non cdl. I did run a srw 06 Dodge for a while and never was questioned.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating(GVWR)[i]=9000
Payload[i]=1592
Curb Weight[i]=7408
Curb WeightFront/Rear=4500/2908
GAWR[i]Front/Rear=5200/6010
Gross Combination Weight Rating(GCWR)[i]=20000

Here's what's listed on the website. The gross axle weight rating of 5200 + 6010 seems to indicate the GVWR could be as high as 11,210 lbs.

Do you guys think the DMV would re-rate for this?

Am I right that the pin rating on the 5th wheel could be no more than 1592-me-my wife minus our gear? Hell I'll be below 1000 lbs.
No one can change the GVWR on the truck, not he dmv, not a dealer, no one.

Th pinweight can very quite a bit, it all depends on how you load it. If you pack the bedroom in the front pull of clothes and others stuff it will raise the weight. The best way to see for real where you stand weigh the truck loaded but no trailer, then hook the trailer up loaded and see the difference. It may shock you. Now one last thing, I tow a large toyhauler privately and I also on occasion pull my friends 48ft race car trailer (its heavy and LOADED), now I have not weighed these but I am sure they both put me over and I have never been questioned (mainly because while doing this I am NOT commercial).
Old 11-09-2007, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the information guys............Do you guys think if you were in an accident and hauling over the GVWR (I don't see after an accident how they could determine with accuracy the individual axles weights) that your insurance company would give you a hassle?

Thanks for the replys........I also think that less than a 1000 lbs of pin weight on this 2500 is really light. I can see doing the upgrades but I think a pin weight of 1700 lbs and my junk should be no problem for this truck with the GVWR loaded around 12500 am I crazy?

Otherwise I will have to limit my selection of trailers to travel trailers only to get the size I want.