Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

New Jordan--is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Jordan--is this normal?

Hi again,

I know I've already had Jordan in my signature, but until an hour or so ago, it's actually been sitting shiny & new in the box. Not trusting my mechanical skills, I decided to have the local Dodge dealer put it in when they said they'd do it for an hour labor charge.

So, now it's installed, but I'm not sure if things are set up correctly. (They hadn't done a Jordan before, but I tried to warn the mechanic about the slightly different design beforehand, and judging from the greasy fingerprint on the directions, he at least looked at them. )

I've only just now driven home from the dealer and have NOT hooked up a trailer to it yet, so maybe these questions aren't relevant, but here they are:

1. I'm only getting a readout of 00.1, which comes on when I brake, but seems to be the same whether I just brake medium-lightly, or I try to mash it a little harder. When I mash it, some other numbers flash up too quick to see, and then it reads 00.1 again. I've got the output control turned all the way clockwise. The Jordan manual says 00.3 to 1.00 are normal readings without a trailer, so, should I be concerned?

2. I'm hearing (and maybe even feeling, haven't decided) a definite "click!" noise every time I press the brake pedal, unless I barely touch it. Is this normal?

3. There were some comments in other Jordan threads about having an "S" in the control cable. I definitely do NOT have this--the control cable goes in a straight line from the cable clamp to the bracket, so the mention of having a S in the cable makes me wonder if mine is set too tight...? There's only about 4" of cable visible, and the line it's on is almost parallel to the ground, not at an angle like in the diagram... Is this okay?

I may be panicking prematurely, but I'd sure appreciate some input from the experts---thanks!
Old 03-26-2004, 02:05 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: New Jordan--is this normal?

Originally posted by HaulinRoans
1. I'm only getting a readout of 00.1, which comes on when I brake, but seems to be the same whether I just brake medium-lightly, or I try to mash it a little harder. When I mash it, some other numbers flash up too quick to see, and then it reads 00.1 again. I've got the output control turned all the way clockwise. The Jordan manual says 00.3 to 1.00 are normal readings without a trailer, so, should I be concerned?
Normal. That just means that the wires on your truck are drawing 00.1 amps when you hit the brakes. Mine is usually 00.3 when I hit the brakes.

2. I'm hearing (and maybe even feeling, haven't decided) a definite "click!" noise every time I press the brake pedal, unless I barely touch it. Is this normal?
Not normal. There shouldn't be any clicking at all if it is set up properly. Since it does not do it when you barely touch the pedal, this would indicate to me that there is not enough tension in the cable. This can easily be adjusted by following the directions provided with the Jordan. It's just a matter of loosening the set screw and then putting a little more tension on the cable while you tighten the set screw. The clicking sound is probably the rounded end of the control assembly hitting against the back side of the bracket when you hit the brakes.

If you notice any kind of digital readout when you are NOT applying the brakes then you have the cable set too tight. It should be as tight as you can get it without causing a readout on the display.

3. There were some comments in other Jordan threads about having an "S" in the control cable. I definitely do NOT have this--the control cable goes in a straight line from the cable clamp to the bracket, so the mention of having a S in the cable makes me wonder if mine is set too tight...? There's only about 4" of cable visible, and the line it's on is almost parallel to the ground, not at an angle like in the diagram... Is this okay?
Ideally you do not want an S at all, but according to Jordan it will still work if there is an S in the cable. The best case is to do just as you have done....which is to line the cable up directly with the brake pedal so it's a straight shot....leaving you more of an opened up C than an S.

Regarding it being parallel to the ground. If you look at the brake pedal (not the adjustable kind), there are two bends in the brake arm. My bracket is mounted directly above the second bend (the upper one). This seems to be a good place for it.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:21 PM

Thanks Hoss,

So you don't think the 00.1 reading is too low?

I will try tightening the cable as you suggested, and see if the clicking disappears. I also looked at where they mounted the bracket, and it does seem to be just above that second bend.

Thanks again!
Old 03-26-2004, 03:42 PM

No. In fact, if I recall correctly, Lightman gets a 00.1 reading on his Jordan as well. He will tell you that it's because of his awesome soldering skills, I pretty much think he's full of it. If you were getting 00.0 or 88.8 then I'd worry about it. That just means that you're wires on your trucks don't draw many amps...which is a good thing.

One question regarding the clicking. Without the brake pedal depressed look at the bracket and see if the controle module back there is dangling down or if it's holding itself up. The cable should be tight enough that the control module is not dangling down....and I suspect yours is probably doing that....causing that clicking you're hearing when you hit the brakes and it tightens. How far do you have to push the brake pedal before you get a reading on the display?
Old 03-26-2004, 04:02 PM

Okay, just back from the driveway ... I looked at the control module and it's not hanging down. The back end of the module is slightly higher than the plane that the bracket screws are on, if that makes sense. I did try tightening the cable by just moving the whole bracket higher up the arm, but then the readout kept coming on so I put it back where it was. I have not yet tightened it by pulling the cable farther through the control module. Can't get a good grip on the slippery cable! (Feeling more like an idiot moment by moment. LOL)

The cable is loose enough that I can move it some with my finger---it's definitely not taut like a guitar string or anything.

Re the brake pedal--I have to push it down about 1/3 of the way before the display lights up. It seems like the clicking is happening an instant before the reading comes on.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:38 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I have no click. You might check to see if the bracket is clicking. Listen closely to the box itself and make it click. If the click is in the box, give Jordan and buzzz and ask him about it. Mine reads .2 with no trailer. I have my cable adjusted so that the controller starts to light up the numbers prior to my truck brakes starting to activate. This allows the trailer to have light braking just before the truck starts to brake. One of the neat things of this controller is the ability to have the controller come on exactly when you want it to - - not determined by when your brakes lights are activated. You should be able to pull the wire fairly easily with your fingers, but don't pull it too far.

You should not leave the module in the bracket when not towing - - it saves wear and tear on the controller. I find I can remove the module, then insert it in the holder from the front. It has never come out and it sure is handy. I love the smoothness of mine.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:56 PM

The clicking might be the cable sticking inside of the box. Mine's been doing it forever... and I don't have any S bend ( I just haven't had enough downtime to send it back. Jordan said he'd fix/replace it for free.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:07 PM
Banned

this is my normal unhooked readout. you need to set your cable up yourself. it's easy if you follow directions, i've got pics of my cable routing if your interested. the box should not be clicking.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:44 PM

Nice shoes !

My cousin wears those..

Merrick
Old 03-27-2004, 03:45 PM
Banned

there imported
Old 03-27-2004, 03:54 PM

Then maybe he doesn't.. LOL. He get's his at WallyWorld.

To stay on topic,, I am wanting to get a Jordan soon, as I like the fact that it brakes proportionally to the truck.

Merrick
Old 03-28-2004, 11:36 AM

Hi again,

Sorry, got sidetracked with some other stuff.

The good news is, the clicking isn't coming from the box

The bad news is that I keep being attacked by the power-seat I HAD TO HAVE, whenever I squeeze in there to mess with stuff. More fiddling with the control module and updates coming soon. Thanks again for the help!
Old 03-29-2004, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by HaulinRoans
Re the brake pedal--I have to push it down about 1/3 of the way before the display lights up. It seems like the clicking is happening an instant before the reading comes on.
That would indicate to me that the cable isn't tight enough. If properly adjusted, you should get a reading the instant you touch the pedal (but not before). Try tightening the cable.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Hoss
That would indicate to me that the cable isn't tight enough. If properly adjusted, you should get a reading the instant you touch the pedal (but not before). Try tightening the cable.
This has control over "when" the trailer brakes start to apply. If your pads are wearing and the brakes are not engaging quite as soon, you may want a small amount of pedal travel before the brakes hit. This is both a positive and negative of the Jordan. You have the ability to set when the trailer brakes apply. However, after many thousands of miles of brake wear, you might need to loosen the wire to coincide a change in the pedal position when the truck brakes apply. It just takes a second to move it. I have about 1" of pedal movement before my controller hits.
Bob
Old 03-29-2004, 04:46 PM

I'm sorry Bob, but you're wrong.

Quick Reply: New Jordan--is this normal?