Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

New to a 48 foot trailer. Need advise please ....

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to a 48 foot trailer. Need advise please ....

Hi, I'm brand new to a long trailer. I've hauled a 24' enclosed trailer for years, and now I just bought a 48' enclosed Vintage Outlaw trailer gooseneck. Anyhow, I'm picking it up in the middle of March, and I really wanna get ready for it. I've got a '99 Dodge Dually extended cab with a 24v 5.9 diesel, and 5 speed transmission.

What do you suggest ??

* Jacobs exhaust brake ??

* 4" exhaust ??

* How about EGT gauge, and where to install on the exhaust for accurate readings ??

I've got the gooseneck hitch already in the truck, and I was told that they're actually better than the fifth wheel........... Is this true ??

Also, I've got a large 7 blade electrical plug receptical on the bumper that I used for my tag along. Do I need to relocate this for the gooseneck, or what do you suggest ??

I've got my CDL, so that shouldn't be a problem, but is there anything I need to know when going through any particular states, and how can I find out ??

Anything else you could tell me would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks !!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 06:00 PM

Also, What's the Wastegate Mod, where do I get it, and how much are they ??
Old 02-26-2005, 06:29 PM
DPG

How much weight you going to be towing, CAT? You should fill in your signature so that we know exactly what you have for a truck, and we can better help you with answers to questions you might have. Is your truck bone stock? If so, I would recommend a fueling/timing box like the Edge EZ. If you notice my signature, you'll see that we have similar trucks. You can read what I have. My truck is mildly bombed, and I love the way it tows. I haven't towed anywhere close to the tonnage that you will be, but my setup tows like a dream. The wastegate mod for your truck involves a small brass elbow that has a built-in restriction to keep your wastegate from opening so quickly, which allows higher intake pressures: better power, lower EGTs. The above-mentioned elbow comes with the EZ box. You can do a search for more detailed information. There are lots of threads about increasing horsepower and torque. If you decide to go much more than the fueling box and gauges, you will need to upgrade your clutch.

Good luck with that new trailer!

DeWain
Old 02-26-2005, 08:20 PM

re

I'm going to be hauling 2 cars at a time, and that'll probably be around 17-18,000 gross weight.

Here's what I have:

1999 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4
5.9L 24v Turbo Diesel
5 speed transmission

Upgraded only with the Superchips Micro Tuner, and I could only use the "Tow-Safe" option. which I think is +40 HP, +75 ft/lb Torque.

I'll change this if I need to.

Please elaborate on the EZ........ I checked those out, and they don't mention the elbow for the turbo

Bully Dog step 1 injectors ?? What gains will these give me ?? HP, Torque, Mileage ??

Also, How about gear ratio ?? I have 4.10's

Would I be better off with different gears ?? and how would they affect my mileage / Power ??
Old 02-26-2005, 11:42 PM

NICE Trailer!!

4.10s are perfect.

Superchips... Edge EZ is probably better than Superchips, but I wouldn't spend more money switching to it when you already have a little extra power.

I would get a 7 pin receptable in the bed to make it so you don;'t have to worry about your wiring.

Exhaust brake would be nice, but not necessary, do you have a good brake controller?

5th wheel is sturdier on the road. Less lateral movement I think. I think you will be fine though with the GN.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Chapter President

A few thinks needed are good towing mirror's and I like a 6-8" convex mirror on the right side....you'll have more turn lights so heavy duty flashers are needed for both the turn and 4-ways.....Gauges EGT, Boost, and a BHAF is nice....you mite want to increase your supension with Timbrens or Air Bags....You should already be wired for 12 volt power to the trailer to charge the break-a-way switch battery

I have a 44ft enclosed which isn't too bad driving around towns but my 53 ft I sold was a bear to drive in town always clipping curbs and the need to make wide right turns...it got so bad that I would carry 2 mounted spare tires to replace the tires that blew from curb hits
Old 02-27-2005, 11:22 AM

Re: New to a 48 foot trailer. Need advise please ....

Originally posted by IH8MYCAT
I've got a '99 Dodge Dually extended cab with a 24v 5.9 diesel, and 5 speed transmission.

What do you suggest ??

I've got my CDL, so that shouldn't be a problem, but is there anything I need to know when going through any particular states, and how can I find out ??

Anything else you could tell me would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks !!!!!!!
Hauling 2 cars for business or pleasure?
State of MN has gotten really picky over their definition of pleasure. Last summer was the big crack down on racers.
Our neighbor to the east (Wisconsin) is a little tight on overall length laws.

4.10's and 5 speed ? You'll be looking to use 5th for towing. That is a bad idea unless you have improved things such as fully splined shaft and improved nut.

If you add any kind of fueling gauges are mandatory. EGT probe in the manifold before the turbo is preferred.

What part of MN?
Old 02-27-2005, 12:17 PM

I live in Duluth Minnesota................
Old 02-27-2005, 01:50 PM

Doesnt the Goosneck give more bed space and does not transfer as much side to side movement of the trailer to the truck?
Old 02-27-2005, 01:57 PM

If you're ever through Crookston, let me know.

-John
Old 02-27-2005, 03:19 PM
DPG

Step 1 injectors will add 40hp or so, and won't ding your mileage any, unless you get a heavy right foot.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran a lot of miles on my '99 totally stock. It was five speed, 3.55 rear, 14 ply tires (2500) and never had a problem. Weak spot was the clutch center broke out after a 136,000 miles. Everything else you can do makes more power or easier driving but the truck will be fine as is.

Generally a gooseneck is heavier than a fifth wheel in a pickup. Mine is rated for 38,000 pounds, almost twice that of the fifth wheel.

Get a Jordan or Brakesmart, it will save your life and keep the shorts cleaner.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:25 AM

fifth wheels ahve less movement, especially side to side. I see no real advantage to a fifth wheel over a gooseneck. Get a real controller, like a brakesmart or at least a prodigy. Make sure you have a seven pin plug. If you've been tinkering with fuel settings, get a pyro. The 5th nut is a transmission upgrade, due to the fifth gear nut coming loose. That was mentioned above. I know very little about it, but it appeared you misunderstood him.

other than that, enjoy! I just sold my 34' cargomate.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:19 PM

Definatley get EGT, boost, and Pyrometer gauges. I imagine you will be ok with EGT's in the tow safe, but just go ahead and get them, so you can monitor it. In the manifold before the turbo for EGT's. Also, a 4 inch exhaust, and scotty or cold air intake will help EGT's some, and might add just a hair more power.

Eric