Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Need Trailer Brake Drum / Bearing Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need Trailer Brake Drum / Bearing Help

Hi, Desparate for any help here.

I'm looking to buy a 1985 travel trailer out of state that has not moved for 3-4 years and has not been out of the field for much longer. It's a Silver Streak, 31ft tandem axle. I want to restore it.

It has 6 lug wheels and H 78 15 rubber.

All the 6 lug drums I find are 12 x2 with a 6 x 5-1/2 bolt circle. Some come with bearings installed. So are there any other possible variations for 15 inch 6 lug?

What is the wheel bearing size?

Backing plates listed for these drums are either 4 bolt or 5 bolt How do I know which it needs?

Anyone with experience on these trailers?

I need to tow it 600+ miles to get it home.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:17 PM

why would you want to change hubs???? grease mites eat the grease????
i have pulled farm mach, old trailers,all i ever do is take the dust caps off and fill them with stp,grease does not evaporate.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by olddodgetrucks
why would you want to change hubs???? grease mites eat the grease????
i have pulled farm mach, old trailers,all i ever do is take the dust caps off and fill them with stp,grease does not evaporate.
Had any of them sit for 8 years and the pull them down the interstate for 12 hrs??

Drums wear, rust, adjusters get frozen, shoes delaminate, grease seals leak, etc. I just play it safe.

I found that there is no way to know for sure any of the parts without teardown. I'm going to tear it down first and go from there. It's going to take some extra vacation time! Repack or replace bearings and change tires is the minimum.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to make the same decisions. I recently bought a airstream trailer that had sat in the same space for 20 years. 550 miles from home.
I found a tire company that would come out and change the tires on site. He pulled the outer bearings and packed them and added grease to the inner bearings. Checked the brakes for not being frozen and loose parts, etc. I had to put batteries in it to run the brakes. I checked the brakes with the breakaway switch. Then again after I got it hitched and pulled out of the site. Took about 4 hours instead of the 4 days I thought I was going to have to spend to get it going. So I pulled it home with no problems. Cost me $560 for the 4 tires mounted and balanced at the shop and installed at the site and the service. About the same as just buying the tires at a retaier. Now I have it at home I can recheck it and rebuild at my leisure. Check around where the trailer is. You may be suprised at what you can find and it will save you days on the road to do it. Plus this guy had several thousand dollars worth of jacks and his compresser and tools on the truck to do the job with.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might give Dexter a call. They may be able to help identify the peices you need.

http://dexteraxle.com/home
Old 05-17-2010, 09:06 PM

It has Hadco axles. I cannot find much info on them. From pics on the web they look a lot different than Dexter. My local Dexter guy can order a custom built axle assembly from Dexter with exact dimensions of existing, complete, fully assembled drum to drum for around $345 each plus I can get self adjusting shoes. That's what I'm going to do when I get home. Then I have all new and easy to find parts. Easy to replace too. Block it up torch off the old u-bolts and bolt up the new assembly - done. And attach the brake wires...
Old 05-17-2010, 09:14 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Found via Google in 0.16 seconds.......

http://www.hadcoengineering.com/
Old 05-17-2010, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
Found via Google in 0.16 seconds.......

http://www.hadcoengineering.com/
Right. I found the same in less time and a thousand more articles that I read today. Problem is their e-mail link is rejected and their phone does not even sound like a work phone message. A lot of the info has old area codes on the phone numbers. Have YOU any real leads or is this company dead or on vacation or what????

Major trailer parts suppliers hardly list any Hadco parts.

Maybe I'm missing something but show me a Hadco parts lists with numbers and pricing and a shopping cart. Probalbly a good quality axle but past it's time and no support available.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:28 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hub series 5r sounds like your set-up.. the universal bearing numbers are listed:

download and save this pdf to you computer:

http://www.hadcoengineering.com/PDF%...atalog2001.pdf