Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Need a measurement for 5th wheel placement

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Very complicated, reinventing the wheel. All it takes is a flat plate layin gon the frame and an angle iron on each side bolted to both the frame and the plate. And to do this the bed does not come off, the plate slides between the frame and the bed.
I like your design idea, very simple and strong. Although, I think you should center the ball on top of the axle on a four wheel drive truck with a diesel motor. They are not a semi and already have enough weight on the front axle. IMHO
Old 02-22-2009, 02:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not my design, but is standard proceedure for truck fifth wheels. Take a semi weight measurements and axle weight measurements and roughly cut it in half on all weight measurements and you then have what you are building. A semi it is really and all the specs apply. What works for one works for the other. At about half of or a little less than half the weights of a big truck.

A single axle big truck is running 18 to 20k on the drive axle, we run to about 7k on these and some hot shotters run 10k regularly. The steering axle on a big truck is comfortable at about 10k and yes virginia I realize that in some states they run 14k and higher. On ours we run around 5k on the steering. The chassis lengths and the trailer lengths are about the same and sometimes even longer. We are running our trucks as a single axle semi, don't ever forget that and then you can use the tried and proven formulas for big trucks.

In most cases you cannot get much ahead of the axle centerline in a pickup and it does work well. You hear a lot about sway on the pickups and the reason is the pin mounting. The further foreward the more stable the ride.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:27 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Very complicated, reinventing the wheel.
He is not reinventing the wheel, he just simply wants to build his own G/N hitch. Probably does not matter if it may be time consuming, or even more expensive. He just wants to build his own. The guy was just looking for a little help, GEEEZ.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:56 PM

Reinventing wheel

Originally Posted by duster75
... I work in steel fab. on a daily basis(18yrs) so mat. is cheap for me and design time is paid for by the man.CNC Plaz. torch, breakpress all at my disposal. I guess I need to find a truck with 1 and copy design but I do not have 1 close at hand right now.Nate
A pict. is worth a 1000 words. I p.m'd wyododge to thank him for those pict's.My truck had a hide a ball on it before I bought it.The guy thought I got too good a deal and took it off. I fully understand what your design is Haulin ,but I've got access to a breakpress to make it 1 piece less bolts to come loose. A better design in my book. I just wanted to feel you guys out on pin placement. The rest I can handle as said above 18 years in steel fab. (Asphalt equipment)Thanks again everyone, Nate