Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

NEED ADVICE: Moving construction equipment

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by oestreich84
What model forkilift do you have? Are you hauling 2 forklifts? Just wondering because ours is 13k pounds and it is a decent size lift.
We have two SkyTrac 6036s and two SkyTrac 6042s. I always thought the lifts were around 6 ton, but after looking into this we found out they are 10 ton without the fluid in the tires.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:34 AM

We went ahead and got a 05' 3500 dually 6-speed this weekend and we really like the truck. Has good power for stock and rides and looks great.

Me and my dad are both getting our CDLs and got all the info on that.

Now we need to decide a few things on the trailer. We've gathered that a 20' dovetail with 5' ramps would work good. Been told it needs 12K axles on a 10K trailer with hydraulic brakes, dual stands of course with dual cranks, Delta axles, low profile height, punch holes in the rails, and a toolbox in the front.

Now we need to decide on what size of tags to get to make this legal. The dealer said the state offers 36K and 40K tags.

This reason we feel this load is possible is because we know people that haul alot of gates and those who sell trailers for those loads. Most guy's regular loads are 10 ton of gates and they use duallys and haul out of state.

Another factor is that 90% of our jobs are within an hour of each other, with some exceptions.

We are going to try it when everything is set-up properly and if it seems too hard to handle then we will still have another good truck and trailer to pull the other loads.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Registered

a dodge dually will do that. jsut gettin it stopped is the problem. However i do have the solution. Vacuum over Hydraulic tralier brakes. Along with a exhaust brake, you should getter stopped. but if you dont want to chance it, go get a bigger truck.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Registered

ok just realized that the hay in my gallery weighed 1000 lbs a bale times 20 bale = 20,000 lbs. Which is 10 tons. And quite frankly, i didnt have the exhaust brake then and i could stop that if i planed what i was doing. And pulling it, HA, My dodge didnt even know that it was back there!! Pulling that will be no sweat with a 1 ton. And with vacuum over hydraulic brakes, and a exhaust brake, you will have absoutly no problem.

Congrats on the new truck, and have fun with it!!
Old 08-14-2005, 06:20 PM

Blackdiesel,

Tell me more about the vacuum over the hydraulic brakes. We are going to have the trailer built, can I get the vacuum as an option?

How do your 3:55's do pulling the load? We wanted 4:10's but ended up with the 3:73's but they seem pretty low to me especially with the bulldog gear.

We are definately going to add an exhaust brake. Any suggestions? The dealer will put a Jacob's exhaust brake on it for around $1200. Is the $1200 a good price or too high.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Registered

Basically the vacuum over hydrolic brakes run off of the trucks vacuum pump. The stock vacuum pump should pull enought vacuum to operate the tralier brakes. (my 2ng gen does) When you hit the brakes, brake fluid goes to an actuator on the truck and then lets the vacuum pull through the hoses that are hooked to the tralier, this in turn, activates the brakes. The have electric over hydraulic brakes out now. They are cheaper (ive herd) when ever you hit the brakes, the electric brake controler tells the master cylander on the tralier to activate the brakes. alot of people are going to the electric over hydrolic because it cheaper. Both are a option. most tralier builders will build a tralier with a set up.

My 3.55's pull loads like a champ. I might haveta downshift to 5th if im pullin a big hill. But i would hate 4.10's with the cummins torque and the first gear, i can get a BIG load rollin.

I put a OEM jacobs exhaust brake on mine. i installed it myself, which was quite easy. i think i got it for under 700 bucks. works great. It was a turbo mount, but if you plan on upgrading your turbo, get an inline exhaust brake. i kinda wish i would have. Any more questions either pm or post.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:18 AM

You don't have to have a CDL, but, you do need to have a higher weight rating on your drivers liscense.

Look into getting a Class A liscense instead of commercial. This could save you alot of hassle.

You would be legal to tow the weight, but you cannot be getting paid to tow whatever you are towing.

Might be something to look into.

You can get a class C CDL, and still be in the exact same boat you are now....

Merrick
Old 08-19-2005, 05:06 PM

I would just get a class A CDL. I got mine by picking up the book from the DMV and studying that. I took my road test in an International with a DT 466 Single axle dump and a 7 ton trailer with electric brakes. I would also just get a international 4300 or Freightliner 60 or 70. Those trucks hold up well and have good resale value. The interiors are not that cushy but they hold up better in general than a pickup's for everyday work. They tend to be slow but employees don't tend to get speeding tickets in them. They also turn sharper than our 99 Ferd F350 4x4 LB.