Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Need advice for heavy tongue weight

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 05:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy Need advice for heavy tongue weight

I've got a 1999 Terry SUT model 26A bumper-pull. Love the trailer but boy is it heavy! (Picture in my gallery) It grosses 10,000 lbs, not a problem for my truck power-wise, but the tongue weight isn't exactly at 10%, it's more like 1,350 lbs. measured with full propane, batteries, generator & water, but without ATVs in the back (which takes some weight off the tongue, but haven't actually measured it with ATVs, so I'm not sure how much).

Anyway, I bought the heaviest weight distribution hitch I could find (1,400 lbs), but my rear suspension still sinks about 6 inches with it hooked up. I've owned many trucks, trailers, and weight dist. hitches and never had this problem (yes, it's installed correctly). Of course, as a side note, this is all at the upper limits of my stock class IV receiver.

What I'm really after is your opinion on installing either helper springs, air bags, or the OEM Dodge 3500 springs. Anyone have experience/advice with doing this on a 3/4 ton?
Old 07-10-2006, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would just add bags or Timbrens. If I remember right the 3500 leafs are expensive, something like $400 per side. For that price you can have Ride-Rite or Air Lift bags with on-board air compressor and gauges installed. Timbrens work nicely and are the cheapest way out at less than $200.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow!!! Now i dont feel so bad. I just bought a 26 foot Cherokee Wolf Pack that has 1200is pounds of tong weight empty. I pulled it home with no weight distibuting hich and my truck dident sag 6 inches. Maybey 3-4 but thats abought it. I then bought a Equalizer brand weight distributing hich and it helped but not as much as I thought it would. I got a 1200 pound unit and it still drops 1 3/4-2 inches and goes up in the front 1 inch(measured). I was a little disapointed abought that but not anymore. I hope you figure it out. Maybee someone snuck 1/2 ton springs under your truck .

Here is my truck with the 1200 pounds toung weight+ 110 gallons of watter forward of the axle+ generator+ 2 full big propane bottles and no distribution hich. The picture dont do it justice. It was saging more than it apears in the pics.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would install air bags and a class 5 reciever then it will all be safe and legal
my .02
Old 07-11-2006, 08:48 AM

Had the same problems with my truck... These rear springs just seem soft, but that is why they ride so well unloaded I guess? Anyhow, I put on a set of air bags and haven't looked back!! My toyhauler really squats the rear of the truck with excess tongue weight also, but now I just pump the bags up to ~45psi and then put on the w/d stuff. Stays nice and level and works much better.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You can do some weight distribution of your own. Move some things behind the axle and/or take some things out. Someone said they take 100 gallons of wate with them? Why? Fillup when you get where your going. Draining that tank will take nearly 1000 pounds off the hitch.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks guys, looking into Timbrens. Like what I see so far.

Thinking about ditching the stupid pig Generac generator too! Man is that thing heavy! Only need it for the AC. Maybe a little Honda will run that instead, probably quieter too.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by jwooden
Thanks guys, looking into Timbrens. Like what I see so far.

Thinking about ditching the stupid pig Generac generator too! Man is that thing heavy! Only need it for the AC. Maybe a little Honda will run that instead, probably quieter too.
What size AC do you have? A single Honda eu2000i will run an efficient 13.5k BTU AC, but if you have an older unit or a power hungry unit you better get two and the parallel kit, or a bigger genny. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2006, 09:44 PM

I have a Kipor(Honda clone) 3000 wat that poweres mine great. $1400 if I was to have bought it but it was thrown in witht he camper for free in the deal.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by charliez
You can do some weight distribution of your own. Move some things behind the axle and/or take some things out. Someone said they take 100 gallons of wate with them? Why? Fillup when you get where your going. Draining that tank will take nearly 1000 pounds off the hitch.

I would do that but my axles are so far back that I cant get much back there. I have put a utility machine back there (700 pounds) and could not tell the difference. As far as the 100 gallons of watter that was only for reference in the pics. They filled it when I bought it and did not tell me. That was part of the reason it squated so bad in the pics. I supose it gets a few people to buy a WD hitch on the spot when they see there truck squat more than expected.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:07 PM

get some airbags, makes a huge difference. I carry a 4500 pound cabover camper in the back of my 04 dodge and have no issues besides a little sway. All i have done to the truck suspension is add airbags and rancho 9000 shocks, does great, might add a helwig swaybar. My truck is right around 12,000lbs loaded up ready to go full of diesel and the camper full of water(46 gallons), the rear axle weight is 7500lbs!!!!!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:33 PM

I have similar situation. My toy hauler is 10K plus so I added an equalizer 14K hitch and a set of riderite air bags. My truck would only squat about two inches though but I still use the air bags.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:16 PM

Towing with tongue weight

I tow every size trailer available. Tongue weights as high as 3500 lbs. and use firestone air bags no problems. R C
Old 07-16-2006, 06:24 PM

Many people don't use the weight distribution hitch as effective as it can be used. I usually let the trailer down on my ball and lock the latch. And with it latched jack the trailer jack back up till your rear end is about an inch lower than unloaded. Then hook up the weight distribution chains. I usually hook on the link I can just push into latch by hand the go 1 - 2 links more with the extension pipe. Then let down the trailer jack and go down the road. If it rides too bouncy let a link out, or even try one link out and half a twist on the chain. You'll get a "feel" for how to hitch it after a couple adjustments. Don't try this with anything under 1200 lb. bars though. Way back when the guy that invented the weight distribution hitch had a selling point by using a Front wheel drive Oldsmobile to pull a trailer in a parking lot, with the rear tires removed from the car completely, thus the only tires on the ground were the front tires and all the weight was "distributed" thru the hitch. You can set them too tight on some lighter trailers and you'll find it difficult to take off from a light without spinning your tires on wet pavement.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:32 PM

Another thumbs-up for the air bags. I have a slide in camper that I barely know is there with the Ride-Rite air bags on the rear axle. Huge improvement. Like said above, I still have a little sway, but the rear is level and solid.

Quick Reply: Need advice for heavy tongue weight