Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

My hot water won't work...help :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My hot water won't work...help :(

OK, trying to get my trailer ready for its first trip of the year. I turn on the switch inside the trailer to hot water 'ON'-it lights. The flame starts blowing so I guess it's heatintg the hot water. I can tell that much has worked because the brass valve on the hot water heater is too hot to hold my hand on for more than a second or two. So, I turn on the pump, turn on the hot water on any one of the 4 hot water faucets, and it's cold. I can't find a valve to let the hot water flowing to the trailer, if there is one.<br> Does any of this make sense (my problem or my desription)? This is frustating the heck otta me . :'( <br> This is the water in my tanks, not from the outside.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:25 PM

Re:My hot water won't work...help :(

had that happen to me on my first trailer. Turned out the bypass valve was opened. Once I sat down and traced the pipes I figured out that valve didn't make sense. Nothing in the manual about it. Found out later it is apparently for winterization.<br><br>Might be worth a look
Old 05-25-2003, 09:35 PM
DPG

Sounds like what Trailblazenyj said. Your hot water heater should have two valves, one each on a line going in the top, and one on a line coming out of the bottom. In addition to that there should be a valve on a line that connects the top line with the bottom line. The top valve and the bottom valve shoud be open, the valve in the middle closed. This will allow water to flow into the HWH, and out of the HWH, without the bypass valve (middle one) allowing water to circulate around the HWH. If your heater burner is working, this should solve the problem.<br><br>DeWain
Old 05-25-2003, 10:27 PM

Ok, thanks! Well, there's two hoses, one red, one blue, coming from-going to the water heater. I did look there before but that space is so full of duct hoses, I couldn't see it. Looks like the blue one is closed and the red open. The water tank is still quite hot. I'll let it cool some more. Just hope I didn't ruin it with having no water in there...so the middle one should always be closed, is that what you're saying DPG? Or all three opened when in use. ??? ??? <br> <br>
Old 05-25-2003, 10:50 PM

I think ONE of the valves is a bypass valve. it's purpose would be to turn off water going to your heater when you are winterizing or flushing your system. It's kept closed during flushing so you dont get contaminants and or bleach/RVantifreeze in your heater...which makes your water smell and taste funny.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:03 AM

Thanks, got it working! ;D
Old 05-26-2003, 07:07 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you heat hot water (make steam) . I thought it was a water heater not a hot water heater ;D<br><br> Glad you found the problem.

Trending Topics

Old 05-26-2003, 10:39 AM

How do you heat hot water (make steam) . I thought it was a water heater not a hot water heater <br><br>Glad you found the problem.
<br><br><br> ;D :P ;D :P ;D :P<br><br>Big dawg