Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Mobile broadband

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been waiting for the cell technoligy to get to this point for some time! There is more knolege here at this post than at the cell providers! I understand you have to be in certain areas to use certain speeds. I have been using mobile antennas and amplifiers to have cell connections in fringe areas (and beyond) for some time. Is it possible to set up a system that uses just a cell phone with unlimited use that connects to a laptop for an internet connection and aquires the fastest possible speed when available? I understand I can get a broadband card for the laptop and do it but then it is a dedicated phone number and can't be used as a phone. I would like to have just a phone that can connect to a laptop that can be used as either if the speed is there.......I guess my question is does a cell phone have the same speed capability as the card?
Old 03-28-2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by crobtex
What service do you use? I have unlimited Cingular internet, but was told by them a couple of days ago that an additional service plan is needed to set the phone up as a modem.
Do you mean you have internet on your phone? If you do, then check out the Snapdialer folks on the internet. hey have software and cables to allow you to use cell phones as a modem. Look for your model phone and provider and see if something is available. We are using this method currently and have been for several years.

http://www.futuredial.com/Default.aspx

Good Luck!
Old 03-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I read the "red" print correctly, didn't it say that the service would usually be an additional charge from service provider. If that's true, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I can already get on the net on my phone, I just want to connect it to the laptop.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by crobtex
If I read the "red" print correctly, didn't it say that the service would usually be an additional charge from service provider. If that's true, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I can already get on the net on my phone, I just want to connect it to the laptop.
Same here!....I don't want to have 2 accounts one for phone and one for broadband.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:58 PM

Verizon charges $15 for the tethering option. Don't know about other service providers. I would check with your service plan. Some plans include unlimited data and include tethering.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cingular has different plans. You can pay for XX mb's or something like $60 for unlimited.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:46 AM

I am interested in this Verizon broadband. They call it "Broadband Access"

I will be staying in the NYC metro area and their coverage map indicates I will have full "BroadBand Access" where I will be driving.

I have an externally mounted antenna on my truck that will help with the signal a little but my question is will the latency be good enough to operate a VOIP phone over it. Yes I know this is absolutely backwards but it is part of my job.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:54 AM

I would say the VOIP will work, but with very poor quality. Especially if you try to download something while making a call.

Nick
Old 05-05-2006, 12:05 PM

I have a CINGULAR data plan. It has its own phone number, and works anywhere a regular voice Cingular cell phone would work. I find Cingular coverage (at least in Florida and East Coast) to be pretty good. When I did volunteer rescue after Katrina in southern Mississippi, the laptop worked well and the cell service was spotty.

The cost depends upon how much DATA (not minutes) you will transmit. I had 50mb plan (about $30-40 month), but now have unlimited (about $60 month). My laptop also works in WiFi hot spots, but going down the road, out in the woods, even at home if my router or modem are having a problem, it works well.

You receive a sim card for your computer with a small antenna. I simply click on an icon on the desktop - it "serches for signal", I tell it to connect and it does. Speed is pretty good too, a bit slower than DSL but faster than dial up.

It is great for weather on the road, checking email, maps, banking, etc. It is independent of my cell phone - I get one bill showing the two numbers. I can be on the cell and the laptop at the same time.

My computer is a Dell Inspirion. Hope this helps.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:15 PM

I work in the construction world so I end up being very mobile. I use the verizon wireless card as I'm on it now sitting in a job trailer (don't tell) and have been very happy with it. I can only think of a couple places I have not been able to get service but that was in some remote areas of northern utah camping. I also help on a drag race crew and have been able to get service at all the tracks, comes in very handy when that one thing will not work or you lose the instructions also can watch the race video.

The speeds are not to bad, it's as quick as my old dsl I had at the house. For the unlimited it is 80$ a month but well worth it for our needs, plus it's another right off.

My 2 cents,
Old 05-05-2006, 12:45 PM

Thanks sounds pretty decent. I will be staying within the NYC Metro area where the VZW network is very built up. I believe it is the strongest network in the area which is why I switched to it for audio to begin with.

I will have to find someone locally to let me play with their card to do some audio tests. Doubt Verizon would let me
Old 05-05-2006, 01:30 PM

I just tested my connection speed and it came back at 499.90 kbps, not going to set the world on fire but works for me.
We are doing a project in PA and toke a trip into NYC, used the laptop a couple times (trying to find out where we was and how we got there) in NYC and had no trouble seemed to not have a problem getting connection with those big a** buildings you all like out there.

If you find a card to borrow there's a cd that comes with them to download the software or I beleive you can get it from the verizon site

Good Luck,
Old 05-06-2006, 06:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This product in about 170 dollars and works great. The antenna is powered by the laptop USB Port and takes the place of a plug in card, and does much better than a laptop with a built in WIFI antenna. I think if you need the extra range, this will do it.

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/waverv.php

Here is a product that is expensive and depending on which one you choose,
fairly large, but when fully functional, you'll be able to access Satilitte Intranet anywhere in the country, unless your in a tunnel or under an obstruction.

Its functionallity now is to received Direct TV, Dish TV and other in orbit TV
providers. Once the intranet is added, one can subscribe to Vontage Phone service. I have this in mind for my RV when I start traveling.

Anyway its expensive now, but worth looking at in the future.

http://www.raysat.com/Shopping/Categ...CategoryID=186

Dave
Old 05-09-2006, 06:44 PM

You guys that are having trouble with bad connections on your cells need a 3 watt booster. I have 3 of them myself. I keep one in my 5th wheel(I live in it when I am out of town working) one at home for my wife to use because without it the cell signal flouts between no signal an 1 bar,with the booster she gets 4 bars. I also have one I keep in my truck. The booster pushes the had held cell phone to the power of the old bag phones but because the new signals are digital it works even better than the bag phones did. I bought one new for $220 the other two I bought on ebay for $35 each. You can even get them that repeat the signal so you dont have to have your c phone pluged into it. Mine are not that type as they are about $400. I am using the verizon 2 system but it is slow. I have to wait another year to get a phone that can get there high speed service. I also have a wi-fi card to take advantage of the times I can use it. With the booster connected to my cell phone there has only been one place that I couldn`t get a signal and that was in the middle of the Argone national forest in the U.P. of michigan. Some of the brands of booster that are made are, JDTECK, Wilson,Remotek,and there are at least 2 others that I cant remember.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bad Ramer Jamer
Any of you transporter's or camper's use a wireless mobile broadband card in your laptop. Just wondering if they are worth a hoot. If so, what do you have. Thank's.
I'm using a card from Verizon Wireless. It plugs into my laptop. Anywhere there is cellphone coverage, I get downloads at about twice normal dialup. But in a lot of places in the country, I get broadband-level downloads. I've found though that most of the hotels I stay in have free Wifi, so the only place I really use it is in remote locations and at my house. It's costing me a flat $60 a month for unlimited downloads.