Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Mobile broadband

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 02:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My laptop has a built in wi-fi card. I've used the truck stop's in the past. Sometime's there's signal problem's,,,or what ever the problem is, I keep loosing connection or it's realllly slow. Sometime's it's ok. The real problem is finding a truck stop when you need it, or a inexpensive hotel that has it when it's time to stop.

Also, I was hoping it would work from my home. Then I could drop my local cable modem. The only problem with that is my room is in the basement, and I'm worried I wouldn't get good signal. Anyone ever use wi-fi in a basement.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason I never went with any of the mobile broadband stuff like Sprint is because they do not work in the middle of no where (I don't think?).

I have an 802.11b antenna on the roof of my truck which should help a ton (haven't had a chance to test it out yet) with picking up signals from the Flying J and everywhere else.

Places to get antennas:
http://www.tessco.com/
http://www.maxrad.com/cgi/pro_e-spec...&catalog=10002
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/

I also can get SUPER slow internet through Verizon's quick2net that just uses my minutes (no additional charge). It is just fast enough to check e-mail but I would not try to go to a load board with it. I also have an externally mounted cellular antenna on my truck to help out. Haven't had a chance to test that one out either.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:15 AM

I've used Verizon's broadband for about 2 months now and am happy with it. It's a PCMCIA card with cellular modem in it. Has it's own phone number even. When in a broadband area with little other cellular traffic it's easily as fast as my cable modem at the office. Add heavy cellular traffic, say 4:30 to 6 pm, and it slows down but still faster than any dial-up. When outside of a boradband area it's only as fast as a 33-54K dial-up. They had a package deal, unlimited access for 59.99/month and the pcmcia card was 49.99? after a rebate.

Most libraries and a few post offices have a wireless networks that are accessible even after hours. I've used a few of these in a pinch. Problem is if they're closed you have to get close to the building most of the time to get a good signal. I don't linger long outside of a closed library or post office after hours. Just long enough to check email and move on.

I find it amusing that there are places that offer free wireless access and others don't. I can stay at a Holiday Inn Express/Hampton Inn at say $80/night and have free high speed. But the Renaissance in Downtown Atlanta at $150/night wants $10 for 24 hr access. Many other high end hotels have similar pricing policies. One local coffee shop has it free but Starbucks you have to have a T-Mobile account or pay a high, one-time access fee.

Go figure.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too have noticed the difference in charges. Even some truck stops charge a fee.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bad Ramer Jamer
Is one company really any better than the other's, or are they all about the same.

When we were looking for a solution for our execs, we found Verizon to have very good coverage, and when you get in one of their metropolitan areas, you get the "high speed".
Old 03-20-2006, 10:39 AM

I have used Verizon's Broadband card for a couple of months now and it works pretty good. But of course just like any cellular company the service is not there 100% of the time. For the most part the Mountains and a few areas in MS it didn't work too well.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:03 PM

Just got my my Verizon 7130e BlackBerry with the EVDO network. Tethered it to the notebook and connects at 700k.. Not bad. The BB itself has a browser but the screen is so small it's useless.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:00 AM

I have dual WiFi antennas mounted on the stake pockets just behind the cab. I also molded an 8" touch screen monitor into my dash and installed a PC under the center seat. With the WiFi antennas I can connect to mobile hotspots. My PC talks bluetooth (wireless) to my Verizon Razor cell phone so that I can also connect to the internet using the phone as a modem.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:01 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to connect to a dialup ISP using the phone as a modem for the laptop? Peoplepc says it can't be done.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by crobtex
Does anyone know if it's possible to connect to a dialup ISP using the phone as a modem for the laptop? Peoplepc says it can't be done.

It is possible (as ATVConnection pointed out in his setup), you just need to have a cell phone that has compatible drivers to perform that task.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:47 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

"It cant be done" when stated by tech support translates as "If you have to ask how to do it, Im too lazy to explain how its done"

all you need is an account, a phone with the appropriate drivers for the laptop, and possibly a cable to connect the phone to the computer. You need the cable if the phone isn't bluetooth ready or irda port ready.
I recommend the cable unless you have bluetooth because you will never keep the phone on the irda port long enough to use it.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:31 PM

About 6 years ago, I've tested a Motorola Startac to connect but it needed a pccard modem in order to dial out. The connection speed was so slow it was useless.

I've included a link to thread on the blackberry forum that talks about tethering with blackberries. It may give you some ideas.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...ight=tethering

I would Google "tethering" and your phone model. I'm not sure if you can actually dial a third party ISP with this option but it's worth a look.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:44 PM

Pics, Please!

Originally Posted by ATVConnection
I have dual WiFi antennas mounted on the stake pockets just behind the cab. I also molded an 8" touch screen monitor into my dash and installed a PC under the center seat. With the WiFi antennas I can connect to mobile hotspots. My PC talks bluetooth (wireless) to my Verizon Razor cell phone so that I can also connect to the internet using the phone as a modem.

You have my attention....can you post pics....this sounds WAY too cool!
Old 03-26-2006, 07:48 PM

Sure, I'd be happy to post some pics. How are you guys posting pics with this forum software. There is no attachment button for adding an image. If I click on the image icon on the editor toolbar, it wants to add an IMG tag but offers no way to upload a photo. Are you guys linking to photos that reside somewhere else on the internet? I'd prefer to upload them here as an attachment.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You have to add the pic's to your gallery, then wait a bit for them to be approved. Then you can post them in a thread.

Quick Reply: Mobile broadband