Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Mobile broadband

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 04:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mobile broadband

Any of you transporter's or camper's use a wireless mobile broadband card in your laptop. Just wondering if they are worth a hoot. If so, what do you have. Thank's.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:31 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all I have it the cable to use my phone as a modem. you get dialup speeds,but it works for reporting in and checking emails.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:38 PM

Not sure where you go but you may want to check out Verizon's wireless service. They have pretty fast speeds (400-600k steady with quicker bursts) for very reasonable prices ~$70/month. I'm a computer geek by trade and have several execs at work using them. They are very happy with them. I mentioned where you may go as its not available in all areas, where its not available, it'll go about dial up speed, in the areas where it is available though, its fast.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
all I have it the cable to use my phone as a modem. you get dialup speeds,but it works for reporting in and checking emails.
What service do you use? I have unlimited Cingular internet, but was told by them a couple of days ago that an additional service plan is needed to set the phone up as a modem.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to be putting my truck back on the road transporting car's, so I'll be going all over the country. This time I'll be running under my own authority, so I'll have to get all my own load's, and need the internet somewhat.

Is one company really any better than the other's, or are they all about the same.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Chapter President

Check their coverage maps and see if they cover where you're going. I know my Cingular has a lot more areas covered then my daughters T-Mobile.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by crobtex
What service do you use? I have unlimited Cingular internet, but was told by them a couple of days ago that an additional service plan is needed to set the phone up as a modem.
My company has phone numbers around the world for employees to get online. I have only used it once and as far as my cingular bill goes, it just got charged as a regular call.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Chapter President

Hmmmm. I guess I'm doing something wrong. I still have a PeoplePC account that I thought would dial up using the "dun modem", via cable, from the phone to the laptop, but it didn't work.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bad Ramer Jamer
I'm going to be putting my truck back on the road transporting car's, so I'll be going all over the country. This time I'll be running under my own authority, so I'll have to get all my own load's, and need the internet somewhat.

Is one company really any better than the other's, or are they all about the same.

So many truck stops, restuarants, hotels everything now days have WiFi spots. Might be worth just buying a wireless card for 40$ and use it at any of the above places, rather than worring about using your phone...
Old 03-19-2006, 08:35 PM

i use alltel thru my cell phones blue tooth. same as a card tho. 59$ a month unlimited data and has broadband in phx. not sure of other cities broadband availability. outside of braodband areas it is still faster than dialup.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:47 PM

I connect my phone, it shows up as a Sony Ericsson modem.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Chapter President

My phone shows up on the laptop, but I can't get it and the phone modem to work together. My phone will do just about anything the pc will do on the internet, but it would be nice to have a bigger screen and a KEYBOARD.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by russd
i use alltel thru my cell phones blue tooth. same as a card tho. 59$ a month unlimited data and has broadband in phx. not sure of other cities broadband availability. outside of braodband areas it is still faster than dialup.
I guess they were right about the extra charge for usng the bluetoooth.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Chapter President

I even tried IR, but my laptop doesn't recognize the phone. I can find IR in the I386 area, but can't figure out how to trun it on. Guess I'll call Compaq tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:23 PM

crobtex... To use your phone as a modem, check with the phone manufacturer for the driver software. I could probably surf mobile friendly sites with my phone, but for now, I use my phone as a phone.

On the wi-fi subject, there are several places that are hot spots that are open to the public. truck stops, coffee shops, stuff like that. stop by star bucks and have a double expresso and check for loads.

Quick Reply: Mobile broadband