Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Medium/Heavy Duty Car Carriers???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Medium/Heavy Duty Car Carriers???

I know I am in the wrong forum for this[dummy, but I would like some peoples opionions since some of you operate these. As some of you know, im a hotshotter that just started out and I think I am doing very well for only a month into it. I dont have any customers yet and im about to do a website but most/ALL of my work is off centraldispatch which is a pain for my little trailer. Let alone I have way to much overhead. But, I only work 3 days out of the week, basically 1 trip a week. My last trip which I just got back from, TAMPA, TO Virginia Beach, and back, left monday morning, got back wednesday. Did 3 cars each way totalling just under 1900 miles round trip. I grossed $2500. As that might seem like alot to people who dont hotshot, IT ISNT!!!!!! 600 went to gas, ROUNDTRIP. Then of course all your overhead. In the end, its not much, but i only worked 3 days a week for this biz.

Now for the question, IM GREEDY AND NEED ANOTHER BIGGER TRUCK!!!!

I would like at least a 6 car carrier, seen some up to 11. My gosh that is big. I like the new petes but those are 240k new for 11 car carrier.

I have no idea about anything in bigger trucks and trailers as im totally new to transporting. But I caught the greed bug and I want more, more, more.
Any ideas on what to get, brands, ect, ect, ect. I know i can get the biz to work it, just im now starting my research on bigger trucks. Im seeing this could take awhile cause this will be a bigger investment. But i can see it making an easy 40k a month gross with only a few day trip each week. Idears please???

How many miles is to much???? 250k, 450k, 600k, ect. trailer brands and models?? Truck brands and models?? I been looking alot at truck trader.

Thanks for all your help
Old 09-26-2007, 07:55 PM

As one who posesses a class A CDL, I can tell you, you'll be entering a whole new realm in transport. A full size tractor trailer is not something you just jump into and start making money. First, you'll need the aforementioned class A CDL. Then a decent truck and trailer. (Insurance might be hard to get if the truck/trailer is not fairly new.) If you think your overhead is high now, prepare for it to reach the stratosphere. Independent truckers are far fewer than they were 20 years ago, due to the overhead. Most carriers won't let you haul for them if your tractor is more than a few years old. My personal opinion is if you want to stay independent, stay with the hotshot and work on building your customer base.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Banned

I have a cdl a, but what is a aforementioned????? I have insurance, mighty expensive at 12,000 grand a year. 150k cargo, 1mil liability, that should drop to 6500 a year within a few years hopefully
Old 09-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Banned

What about opionions on a f650 and a 6 car trailer if possible??
Basically what is the biggest you can go for hotshotting???
Does that make sense what im asking, lol
Old 09-27-2007, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by ccoop769
what is a aforementioned?????
aforementioned = previously mentioned
Old 09-27-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by ccoop769
What about opionions on a f650 and a 6 car trailer if possible??
Basically what is the biggest you can go for hotshotting???
Does that make sense what im asking, lol
even with a 650, your basically driving a big rig, the maintenance costs will still be up there with the big rigs, not quite as much but still costly. Honestly, the biggest your going to pull behind a one ton dually is a 4 car wedge...if you step up to a 450 or 550, you may be able to get into a bigger trailer but then your going to step the weight of the trailer up significantly and the 450 or 550 wont be able to handle it GCVW speaking. If you want to make more money, you need more loads...plain and simple. Whoever told you hotshotting was an easy way to make money, lied.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:32 PM

welcome to the glamorous life of hotshotting! i would'nt go overboard just yet (my .02)big trucks =bigger pay but approximatly 3 times the expense.and around here the price of fuel is on the rise.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Banned

Does anyone run biofuel like b100/homemade stuff and hotshot????? Thinkin of doing that once my warrenty runs out.

I wanna step up just alittle cause I have a driver for my truck and I plan on working it 5 days a week, or 2 trips or 1 big trip, or just 5 days. I really dont wanna get another dually!!! But I wanna start my own little empire

PS. I would really be happy with a 6 car carrier!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would run what you have and get some experience under your belt, sometimes the urge to grow quickly can end up making you go broke. Now if you must, I would either look at a used expeditor truck and remove the box and shorten it up, they can be bought cheap and would already have a sleeper. That and a used 6 car and I bet you could be in it for under 25k. The other way I would go would be a used class 8 tractor with a single rear and a used trailer, again could get into for under 25k. Just make sure you have the cash to keep it rolling in case of repairs. As far as med duty trucks go I would look international for the simple reason with a dt engine the rebuilds can be done in frame (4-5K), unlike a 3126 cat (9-12K)you will find in others. Not sure on the 8.3 cummins maybe someone will chime in on that.

Here is a 6 car and a truck.

Here is a new 5 car trailer.

Here is a used 6 car.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Banned

What are your opionions on the smallest truck you can get with a 5 or 6 car carrier?????? I mean im breaking the limits with my dually since your only supposed to pull 16500 pounds I beleive!!!! Thats good info on the DT and Cats though with the rebuilds!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2007, 05:54 AM

Hi ccoop769...glad to know things so far are going well.

I have a single axle (23,000# rear) FL70 Freightliner. Full and comfy double-bunk stand up sleeper. 175 gal fuel. Toll boxes, 8.3 Cummins w/6 spd. Air seats/air brakes, PAC exhaust brake. When hauling 15,000 load and 7,000 trailer avg 8 pmg. Maintenance is maintenace, but parts/labor tend to cost a bit more than for my Dodge (but many T/A's have a Freightliner service location in them, so repairs on the road are not a problem).

You can pick up a truck like this used for 30-45K.

My GVW is 35,000. The truck has an air dump to lower the rear end, also has a fifth wheel and a recever hitch as well as the gooseneck, elec brake controller. Air bag rear suspension.

If you are going to spend a lot of time in a truck, the FL is much more comfortable than the Dodge, and a lot of Hot SHot guys are switching to the medium duty trucks. I get a little less MPG, but I can haul much heavier (and more safely). So far, I've hauled about 27,000# as a heaviest load.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bonshawman
Hi ccoop769...glad to know things so far are going well.

I have a single axle (23,000# rear) FL70 Freightliner. Full and comfy double-bunk stand up sleeper. 175 gal fuel. Toll boxes, 8.3 Cummins w/6 spd. Air seats/air brakes, PAC exhaust brake. When hauling 15,000 load and 7,000 trailer avg 8 pmg. Maintenance is maintenace, but parts/labor tend to cost a bit more than for my Dodge (but many T/A's have a Freightliner service location in them, so repairs on the road are not a problem).

You can pick up a truck like this used for 30-45K.

My GVW is 35,000. The truck has an air dump to lower the rear end, also has a fifth wheel and a recever hitch as well as the gooseneck, elec brake controller. Air bag rear suspension.

If you are going to spend a lot of time in a truck, the FL is much more comfortable than the Dodge, and a lot of Hot SHot guys are switching to the medium duty trucks. I get a little less MPG, but I can haul much heavier (and more safely). So far, I've hauled about 27,000# as a heaviest load.
Tell me what you think of this. I have a couple options that im thinking about and im trying to keep my dodge in the process so i will have 2 trucks runnin. Im looking at a F650 with 26,000 GVWR. Cat/Allyison combo. Is that possible to pull 6 cars with a kaufmen car trailer. I like the ease of the kaufmen for the 6 car. But if you have other reccomendations, that would be nice. Also I am looking at a 99 Volvo with 6 car trailer with it with a DT motor with around 250k, and a eaton 10 or 13 speed. Also has a 48" sleeper, and all the goodies your talking about too. This sounds cheap compared to other trucks im looking at. Do volvos suck?? Truck and trailer overall look great shape. I hate so much to get used stuff as im probably not ready yet to break down on the road. I really like the f650 with the bed package and I can get really nice loaded ones Brand New for 85k. Air Bagged and All. What do you think?? Odds are though im gonna be spending on a used rig like yours and find a truck and trailer for under 50k.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:02 AM

I'm sure you're aware the GCVW of the F-650 is 40,000 lbs. A loaded trailer with even 3 cars with this rig will put you well over 26,000 lbs. and require a CDL A . Check your insurance company for requirements of insuring a Class A driver . Many of them require 2 years experience .
Old 09-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Banned

Cmon RickG. U know I have a CDL A and FULL INSURANCE. But thanks for the info. I was waiting for a good response like that. But can it pull 6 vehicles and trailer. Ahh, i just do the math myself!!
Old 09-29-2007, 10:40 AM

You're right . Only you can do it . You have the info for the specific truck to figure the net weight which will need to been known in figuring the towing capacity . You need to know the fuel tank capacity and weight of the truck and trailer fully equipped with tools . By now you should have a pretty good idea of what 6 vehicles would weigh . It wouldn't hurt to allow for the weight of snow in the winter . More than a few drivers have been fined for being over on axle weight from carrying heavy , weight snow . I'd shy away from a Ford though . There's a reason you don't see many of them out there . Their service network on the road is very limited . Most F-650's are used locally and serviced by a local dealer .

Quick Reply: Medium/Heavy Duty Car Carriers???