Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Looking for more info on Horizon Transport

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for more info on Horizon Transport

This is my first post on here.
I have been reading up and it is a wealth of information!

OK, I have almost made to move to start driving for Horizon Transport. VR is going over my application as I type.

As of now we (girlfriend/and I) do NOT have a truck yet. But if I make the move it will be a 03 Ram 3500 QC LB 2wd DRW CTD HO with the 6speed tranny and still on a toss about the 373 or 410's.

Now, I have a job making a few dollars but I feel the need to get out and run. I got the bug to tow after working for Hall's campers for the summer using their 1 ton Dodge DRW (late 80's) with the power pack. I loved towing 5's all the way down to the pop-up's.

This will be a huge investment on a new truck and fear of the unknow is killing me. I hate to think of NOT making ANY money at this and having a $800-900 payment for 5 years.

Is towing for a company that has training every week of the month (tues-thurs) a bad sign (gut tells me so).

I checked the usual about CDL's and was told by KY DOT that I do not need CDL as long as I was under the 26k mark. Horizon assured me of that too. I looked into insurance on the truck and I am looking at about $2,500 a year for 500,000 to 750,000 coverage.

I know I will need to run a log book and such. But will I have to stop at the scales? I never asked.

The money that they tell me sounds good but is it real? I know I will get the noobie runs but that goes with any job. Start low and work your way up to not so low.

I thank you for any advice that can be passed our way in advance.

Greg and Jennifer
Old 06-09-2003, 07:42 PM

Re:Looking for more info on Horizon Transport

BigblackDodge,
Thanks for the info but, I will be towing their 5th wheels and such. So I will not need a trailer.

We don't train for a month but for only three days. The company has training every week for new people or for safety meetings.

The company requires the log books. (bummer) :'(

If I can think of any more questions I will post.

Old 06-09-2003, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg if you will be leased to Horizon you should be under their insurance and only need dead-head and bobtail. That should not cost anywhere near 2500 a year. The Carrier has to have the insurance not the truck owner. I have to have it because I am a Common Carrier and that amount is $750,000 liab unless you pull Hazmat and than it is one mil. Before you go signing for insurance, make sure that you are nmot over buying. They do not pay back, you will lose a lot if you sign for too much.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:09 PM

Although I don't work for Horizon,a few facts for you. You are a commercial vehicle so you have to log all loaded miles,with Horizon you log all miles.No problem,running legal is enough unless you have money problems that just won't work. Then forget it. My bobtail insurance runs me $170 per month. I figure my fuel at $.10 per mile and my tires are good for about 90,000. It's not easy but it isn't bad if you aren't hammered by other bills. I like it.<br>Right now we are at $.75 +.03 for fuel<br>People I know working for Horizon seem to be happy there,think it veries with the person.<br>If I can be of any help feel free to contact me.<br>Shafe
Old 06-10-2003, 05:17 PM

Haulin n dixie, Thank's for the info on the insurance. Jennifer was the one calling around on it. We are not up to speed on it but learning. I will contact them and double check on the dead head miles.<br><br>Wildolman, Horizon wants all empty miles loged. I'm not in a money pinch but if all goes wrong then Katie bar the door! Who is you insurance co.? The only one around here is willing to work with me but the others are sky high or don't do such policys.<br><br>Their pay is .75 + .06 to .08 fuel surcharge<br><br>Their reimbursements are: Toll, Fluids, and additional approved miscellaneous purchases. (here is a ?) what all falls under fluids? OIL changes etc...??<br><br>Haulin in Dixie,<br><br>OK, I found the insurance requirements on the web page.<br>Things to bring: <br>&quot;#6. Non Trucking Liability Insurance Policy<br>you will need a copy of your insurance policy showing the minimum coverage of $500,000 and the expiration date of the policy&quot; <br><br>Will this fill the dead head area?<br><br>If I remember right they hold the cargo insurance on us at 1mil.<br><br>Thanks again, Greg
Old 06-10-2003, 05:39 PM

If you are driving a vehicle plated commercial and are more than 100 air miles from your place of origen, the federal DOT and I know for sure Georgia and Florida, and Alabama will ticket you if you do not have a log. On the USDOT system I am listed as 74% where 75% is an unsafe driver and would have problems getting insurance. This is because I had an Alabama DOT check, no log, but no fines. I have no speeding tickets or accidents on record. I was listed as being put out of service even though I was not put out of service. All commercial vehicles are required to log over 100 miles. They are real serious about it here.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:45 PM

[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=11;threadid=15697;start=0#147951 date=1055284778]<br>If you are driving a vehicle plated commercial and are more than 100 air miles from your place of origen, the federal DOT and I know for sure Georgia and Florida, and Alabama will ticket you if you do not have a log. On the USDOT system I am listed as 74% where 75% is an unsafe driver and would have problems getting insurance. This is because I had an Alabama DOT check, no log, but no fines. I have no speeding tickets or accidents on record. I was listed as being put out of service even though I was not put out of service. All commercial vehicles are required to log over 100 miles. They are real serious about it here.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Roger that. We will be running a log all of the time. I will say we will have commercial plates. They ask for a $50.00 &quot;Plate deposit&quot; So that is what I am assume.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:40 PM

Yep you're right and the federal is the same. Must be the state regs. They sure did mess me up though... Maybe I should just move to Texas