Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

looking to haul lumber, am i over weight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CTD NUT
Towing anything over 10350 lbs or 4600 kg in On. requires a restricted A if the truck and trailer are not air brake equipped, as you already know. I am kind of in the same boat as you right now. I am building a 32' 5ver camper with a flat deck for my jeep. Soon, I will have to get that A-R like you because the trailer axle weight will be slightly over 4600 kg. What concerns me about the licence is the wording for the tandem trailers. I was always under the impression that tandem implied two trailers of the same size. From time to time, I want to pull a sled trailer with a couple of ATV's which will probably only be around 800kg behind the 5ver but the wording of the A-R could be construed in such a way that I couldn't do that. What would be the difference in wording between towing this combo of two trailers or "tandems" or "doubles" I wonder. I don't want to be at the mercy of the interpretation of the law by an uneducated MTO officer. Your thoughts on this?

As for your annual safety inspection sticker, unfortunately, you will have to have one for your Dodge to be legit. Your registered truck weight will have to include the gross weight of the trailer. At that point, no matter how you slice it, your truck and trailer will both be subject to the annual safety inspection sticker since you will be over 4500 kg. If the "towed" (trailer) vehicle is over 4600 kg (not 4500 kg like you stated), you will require the A-R. My advice to you would be to re-register the dump trailer gross weight to 4600 kg (10350 lbs) to avoid the A-R requirement. It will put you a little under capacity on the trailer but that is still a decent load.
Unfortunatley the dump trailer has cgwr on the side plate next to the vin and cannot be re-registered as suggested.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes the trailer has a plate on it stating the weights information.. However so does our trucks, mine is gvwr 3990 Kg (8800lbs). However I am registered to 4500kg??? Why did I do that,,, just to pay the extra fees?? now I feel real dumb!!

So I need to goto a scale and ask as well...

As for the Class AR, If you take your dodge and two trailers to the drivers test, You should come out with a Full Class A, because you cant pull two trailers with the AR.... SO even if they are both empty 16' boat trailers, you should get a full A. IMO..

I will post what I find, I should be driving by one tomoro, and will be home in a few days, hopefully with some answeres...
Old 08-13-2008, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by fireram
Yes the trailer has a plate on it stating the weights information.. However so does our trucks, mine is gvwr 3990 Kg (8800lbs). However I am registered to 4500kg??? Why did I do that,,, just to pay the extra fees?? now I feel real dumb!!

So I need to goto a scale and ask as well...

As for the Class AR, If you take your dodge and two trailers to the drivers test, You should come out with a Full Class A, because you cant pull two trailers with the AR.... SO even if they are both empty 16' boat trailers, you should get a full A. IMO..

I will post what I find, I should be driving by one tomoro, and will be home in a few days, hopefully with some answeres...

The licensing of a power unit vs a trailer is very different. You pay more money on the power unit for the higher registered weight( your plate sticker). A trailer has no plate sticker and is registered by the max weight the trailer can legally contain or be loaded with, which includes the trailer itself.

I drive tractor trailer for my day job and have a good idea of what I'm talking about.

By the way if you take 2 trailers in a train configuration make sure to get it video taped as you have to be able to back them up into a pilon marked area.

Don't forget to get your CVOR as you will need that also.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:18 AM

You should consider getting a class 1, (at least that how a tractor/trailer is referred to in Alberta). Then, you can drive any truck of any size with just about any trailer combination, just about anywhere. It also might lower your insurance.

I was hauling super b trailers in BC and Alberta on a class 1, even though the test only requires a single trailer.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats what I think I will get, I already have dz (truck with air and trailer up to 4.5 ton).. Should be going past a scale tomoro, if open I will stop and ask....