Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Lookin' for a serious tow rig?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 08:47 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Lookin' for a serious tow rig?

Found this one on the "other site".

'98 Kenworth T-300 medium duty

see more pics at www.public.fotki.com/customkw
Old 01-12-2003, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Lookin' for a serious tow rig?

You can see lots more at www.cowboycadillac.com, they build what you want!! We will see more of these as the trailers get bigger ant the DOT starts cracking down on over weight 1 tons. A you can see by the price bigger trucks cost bigger bucks. PK
Old 01-12-2003, 03:46 PM
ox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look you can go just about any really big rig place and they can tell you what you need see i drive a four door freighliner western hauler and they can set you up with anything you need but the best place to find a used one is www.trucktrader.com that is were i found mine it a 98 and it had 20000 miles on it and i got it for 42000 and the last time is was there i saw one it was like a 99 i think they weren't asking too much
Old 01-12-2003, 11:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

While not as heavy as that one, I saw this cool one on the road one day and followed him to the fueling station just to get pics. He put an F350 bed on the back of it.<br><br><br><br><br>More pics:<br>Cool International<br><br>Chris
Old 01-13-2003, 07:20 PM

Some will not appreciate this, but the law is set up to accomodate this situation. You already have a serious tow rig if you have a CTD, all you have to do is set it up for it.<br><br>If you want to do it totally legal with no cutting of corners of the law, take it to a truck shop. Have the proper tires put on it and wheels if necessary. Put an extra leaf in the rear if that floats you boat. If you want a sleeper like the mid sized trucks, have the frame stretched, they actually have a kit complete with the cross member in it. You cut the frame, bolt it in and have a longer truck. After the shop gets done, they stick on a &quot;remanufacture&quot; sticker with the proper weights on it for the axles and springs as you now have.<br><br>Then you can legally pull the 30,000 or better gross, 100% legal in all states and plate the truck for the weight. This the customary method of modifying a truck. For instance one big truck I had was a 238 Detroit single axle rated for 30,000 some pounds. We added a tag axle and the new specs were for 80,000 gross. Ran the thing for over 1,000,000 miles in a few years.<br><br>Our newest fire truck is a Freightliner (1999) FL60 with a reman sticker rated for 34,000 dry weight. In commercial use there are no GCWR on the truck, just the GVW and axle capacities. The GCWR listed for the Dodge is to protect Dodge, not you. The rating of the truck in commercial use is the GVW of the truck added to the GVW of the trailer. Hense there are not very many overloaded one tons. Your brakes must be capable of handling the weight of the GVW of the truck, the brakes on the trailer have to handle the GVW of the trailer. IF this is true, the truck will stop just fine and pass any brake test.<br><br>Your engine is rated for mid sized use as is the six speed. Dot does not care if the five speed breaks somewhere in the desert, just that the axles, tires, springs and associated gear are speced out heavy enough. Some states do this with the tire rating, some do it with square inches in the ground. Springs are easy, if they don't sag under a given load, you are fine.<br><br>Now all the experts can come in an tell me I don't know what I am talking about, but this is the way it works in real life. What the door sticker says is what you can run and that can be modified. If the rules are changed, I will just go with the new rules, but trucks have to be modified in the trucking industry. The laws will always accomodate this. Most tractors are built in a truck equipment shop as I ran on Long Island. Bodies are built, tanks are installed, dumps are installed and the frame and associated parts are modified to fit the new use and a spec plate added to make it legal.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:42 PM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All it takes is money , so until I win the lotto I’ll make two trips. Or pay the occasional overload. :'(Seriously though, good info. Let me make sure I have this right ,If I have an extra spring added to my truck and install G rated tires I can have it recertified for more weight ,or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Old 01-13-2003, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haulin in Dixie that is exactly what I was told when I took the CDL test. I asked some questions about how much was legal with the 3500 and was told to tag it for the total gvw of the truck plus the gvw of the trailer but don't get caught hauling more than that. I'm going to send this to a friend that has been worried sick because his 40ft Travel Supreme has a gvw of 19,900. The manufacturers use the gcvw to cover their rear-ends. Thanks, Kenny N4YYX
Old 01-13-2003, 11:35 PM

Maybe I can word it differently, if you significantly change the load capacity, actually higher or lower, it is considered remanufactured and a spec plate should be attached stating the legal limitations. I just used the spring and tires as an example.<br><br>On the other post... you have to watch California and more states may get on board. With the stock truck the factory has published a GVWR list that could be used and from what I understand, the left coast has done that. This is where the reman sticker comes in. It is far cheaper to take a $34,000 truck with some mods and a reman sticker than a $60,000 truck that is not a good grocery getter.<br><br>Actually my plans for mine include a rear assy from a F550 and 19&quot; wheels. I just have to find out how to get the speedo correct if the sensor on the ford will work. See that would be a significent change that would legally require a reman sticker. But, I am having no problems with what I have.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:23 PM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I’m catching most of what you are saying. I’ve been out of trucking sense 1983 before that I ran 48 states for about 3 years and the 5-state area for over 5 years. <br> A lot of rules and regs. have changed. I do remember that the weight that I could carry had a lot to do with the size and rating of the tires and maybe something to do with the rating of the axle? (not sure ) what you are saying makes sense to me in that so long as I remanufacture the truck to some extent I can haul more wieght so long as the rating of the new parts allow.<br><br>What are the steps involved to get the higher rating (sticker) and to who do you apply.<br><br>Not trying to get anyone PO’ed here just trying to understand so please bear with me on this. <br><br>That’s why I’m not still in trucking, rules where changing faster than I was. (In my best redneck voice) Now I got me one of them good city jobs. I treat drinking water. (talk about the rules changing fast, my head spins )<br>
Old 01-14-2003, 11:43 PM

Technically the company that does the mods puts the sticker on the truck.