Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

long trip across NC

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
long trip across NC

Well, made the trip across NC and down the coast to Jekyll. I know now where all old traffic lights go to die. Don't think I got out of 3rd gear all the way across NC. :'( Lot's of pretty country though. Topsail island was nice as well as jekyll island. Kind of warm but not very touristy. Averaged around 13.5 - 14.0 mpg. Thought that was pretty good towing a 5th that weighs around 10k (pretty close guess I think)<br><br>That was the first time we went a lot of different places while towing the camper. Probably try to pick a couple of fewer destinations next time and spend a little more time in each place. Since it was the week of the 4th we felt we should have reservations and that kind of locked us into a time schedule. Next time I will pick a time that is not near a holiday and not worry about where we end up each day.<br><br>thanks to the guys that provided highway info. Next trip in that direction will probably be thanksgiving. Wish there were more campgrounds in the raleigh area.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:51 PM

Re:long trip across NC

Next time try 64.<br>It's slightly north of 73 but not stop and go, you can run it over to I95 and down to I40
Old 07-17-2003, 09:37 AM

64 is OK except you have to go through every little town. Lexington, Asheboro, Ramser, bypass now around Pittsboro but then you have to go around Raleigh and through Knightdale to get back to cruising open road.<br><br>Not sure about west of Lexington but once you get to where the 64E fourlane ends its back to small town/country two lane.<br><br>And don't even try 64 around Raleigh at rush hour. My worst three miles of commute is 64E to the Beltline twice a day. <br><br>Once they get the 64 Bypass built east of Raleigh it will really help take the traffic off my preferred route (I am looking forward to that day ;D). That and the 540 connect and I will be in a very good location for getting out.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:05 PM

Pretty much took 74 all the way across to Wilmington. Lots of traffic lights, especially before and after Charlotte. 540 will be nice when it is done. Tried to leave the map alone as much as possible and just went with the flow. For a while the flow was very stop and go!<br><br>Other interesting part of the trip was in Charleston. Wife is not much on high narrow bridges. Went right through the center of town and ended up towing over two of the highest and narrowest bridges I've seen in a long time. I thought they were cool but I couldn't even get my wife to look, much less take pictures. Finally slowed down until it was clear and took both lanes. Wife finally calmed down enough to hit me a few times - like I built the bridges like that on purpose or something. Oh well, was a long but interesting trip. We will be heading back to Charleston for a whole week sometime soon. Looked like a pretty cool town. I really want to go to Ptriots Point and check out the naval ships there.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:58 AM

Cooper River Bridge is not for the faint at heart for sure. They actually run a 5K? foot race over that bridge each fall.<br><br>I have relatives in Charleston - nice place to visit. You should attend the Wildlife Festival if you ever get a chance. The Battery area is very nice as is most of the tourist section of downtown. Lots of history to be found.<br><br>If you like Charleston then you would probably also like Historic Savannah - same kind of stuff just not on the water.<br><br>I got to see what was left of the Charleston area after Hurrican Hugo went through it. They have done a good job putting it all back together. Gave the city a chance to &quot;renovate&quot; some of the flophouses and slums after Mother Nature did them in. Much nicer now than it used to be.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:20 AM

Glad to hear you had a good trip. I hate that bridge at Charleston. I have a fear of heights so when I drove my old Dodge 1500 over it in 1998 I had everyone behind me mad because I was right in the middle of the bridge runing the speed limit (45). There is a new wide bridge around Charleston that is just as high but not nearly as scarry. That is the way I puled my old TT around Charleston. There is a very nice campground at James Island. It is in a public park and was fairly new in 98. They have a water park there also.<br>We also enjoyed Savanah, which we visited on that same trip.<br><br>Bill
Old 07-22-2003, 07:35 AM

[quote author=redramnc link=board=11;threadid=17076;start=0#160954 date=1058452675]<br>64 is OK except you have to go through every little town. Lexington, Asheboro, Ramser, bypass now around Pittsboro but then you have to go around Raleigh and through Knightdale <br>[/quote]<br><br>yeah, I'm waiting for the day 64 is done all the way through Manteo!!! ;D, just can't stand slowing down in Williamston and crawling though Martin, Washington, Tyrell, and mainland Dare counties. Seems to take days :-[