Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

LEDs for interior camper lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LEDs for interior camper lights

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge about the subject. I'm thinking that if the light quality is ok, they could make a huge difference in battery life when dry camping.

I know replacements are available for automotive use, just don't know about the cost and light quality issues. I would guess the light would be very harsh, but would the light cover soften it enough to make them usable?

We camp for a couple of weeks at a time with lights our major power user and sometimes carry 3 batterys (rob em from equiptment and vehicles, our own). Hopefully LEDs could let us carry one battery. Less gear is good. LOL
Old 04-12-2005, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www.superbrightleds.com .......... they have some good stuff. LEDs are typically not as bright as the incandecent that they replace. they are, however, extremely directional. that website should tell you more. They sell them and are good to work with.

Honda - great line of small, quiet, fuel efficient generators. Easier than carrying multiple batteries.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thing that works well is a lawn mower motor pulling an internal regulator alternator. I used this setup for camping at the beach years ago. You can put one together with junk parts laying around.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:03 AM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Yeah, and when you use a few inverters to run stuff like TV's and computers there is not much reason to be on the grid. A couple of good Golf Cart batteries will carry you through the night very well and you can recharge them in the morning when nobodies supposed to be sleeping anyway.

PV's are nice but expensive.

Edwin