Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Ideas for brake controller mounting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas for brake controller mounting?

I am going to install a electric brake controller on my '96. I rarely pull but when I do it is a 16' enclosed landscape type trailer. I already have a controller from my last truck, it is a draw tite, and a basic one at that (remember I rarely tow). Does anyone have any slick locations to mount it so it is not way down by my feet where it is hard to reach but not in plain sight either? I was thinking about modifying the ashtray so the controller can &quot;hide&quot; behind it. Any thoughts???<br><br>Thanks.<br><br>John<br><br>
Old 03-17-2003, 10:26 PM

Re:Ideas for brake controller mounting?

The ashtray is exactly what I did in mine. I made an aluminum bezel to screw into the ashtray mounting screws and angle brackets to hold the Prodigy in the bezel. It's a great place right in front of the shifter for easy access. Painted bezel and brackets flat black. (It's not hidden though) I also removed the cup holder and made another bezel for my gauges. I thought a cupholder above the stereo was pretty stupid anyway. Both installations look good IMO. John
Old 03-18-2003, 09:43 PM

I also did the ashtray mount in my '97...looked like a factory install. I removed the front plate from the ashtray itself, cut it out to fit around the brake controller - made a real sano looking trim for it. I hope I can do something similar for the '03.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:20 AM

Sweeeeet!! Thanks for the info guys, I'll be tackling it this weekend. I had one on my '97 that was down by the floor, both inconvienent and ugly!! This should be much better. <br><br>Thanks Again.<br><br>John<br><br>
Old 03-22-2003, 12:27 PM

My ashtray if far too valuable for the storage of things that I don't need, and won't ever use. ;D<br><br>I mounted mine to the right of the park brake release, and high enough to reach. Out of the way, no foot interference. Can see easily, but the light on the prodigy is not too offensive in this location. <br>The light is my only complaint about this unit. I wish it was switched.