Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

I need airbags!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:I need airbags!!!

Okay, the airbags are going on the day after T-day ;D. I've talked to so many folks, many on this board, who have advised my truck with all the mods will tow the load. I should have got the dually, but I'm stuck with what I've got 8). I mentioned a dually to my wife this morning and it's a good thing we don't have a gun in the house . My other option is the 4:10's or wait till they come out with the 3:73's for my year. Thanks for all the replys...hopefully I'll get it weighed sooner rather than later and I'll let everyone know the true WT. Yea the slide on mirror's suck :-X, I would not get them again. Not sure about the Roadmaster Active suspension, never heard of it ???. Kinda wondering what it really does...<br> Again thanks for the reply's... <br>Big dawg
Old 11-24-2002, 08:09 PM

I know I am on the tail end of this post. BUT You must have a pin weight of well over 2000 lbs. When we hook our 5er on to my 01 2500 I set down about an 1 1/2 I can put my finger between the overloads and the stop for them. I only have a super slide in our 5er. We are looking for a deal on a new camper. I am finding enjoyment when looking at the salesmans face when I tell them I want something with less than 2000 lbs pin weight. Then are out there. I like the ones with the double slide in back and no bedroom slide. I don't need a whole lot of room to sleep. <br><br>I went back and looked at the picture you posted with your 5er. Unless Dodge changed the springs alot over the past 2 years I would say you have to much camper for your truck.<br><br>I too would sugest you get a 3500 for safty and load carrying reasons.<br><br>Good Luck<br>See Ya<br>Chris
Old 11-24-2002, 08:17 PM

Just curious<br>What brake controler are you useing?? We where stationed out in Camp Pendleton in the late 80s early 90s. You have some pretty good hills to pull or depending on how you look at it pretty good down grades as well.<br><br>Good Luck<br>See Ya<br>Chris
Old 11-24-2002, 09:14 PM

Big Dawg, I feel for you, too many people telling you you should buy a new tow vehicle or you made a mistake of gettin too big a trailer. We should all concentrating on constructive ideas to improve what he has, not what he should a done. <br><br>If you are like most of us we can't just run out and buy a new truck or 5er. We are most likely on a limited income and tight budget, can't just buy whatever we want. <br><br>Look for heavy items in front of the axle that can be moved to a location the axle. <br><br>Moving heavy items from the front closet rearward as far as possible is another approach. <br><br>Another item to check is how high your fiver hitch is set. If too high it transfers weight to the rear axle of tow vehicle, increasing the hitch weigh. <br><br>We're with you, Big Dawg.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:35 PM

Pappa Smurf,<br> Sierra Phil advised me to check the fresh water tank to see if that was the extra Wt. Opened the valve and to my suprise, it was full. So that added around 500 lbs of extra Wt that I was not aware of. I'm still going to get the airbags to assist. I'm currently out in San Diego and I'll be traveling highway 8 to the 10 heading East. Yes there are some good hills, but I've traveled a couple of them and as long as you go slow up as well as down everything should be good to go. I'm looking at the smart controler from DTT to assist in the breaking. <br> Sierra Phil, thanks...It get's frustrating sometimes to absorb all the info when some of it is conflicting. All I desire to do is haul this 5er with no problems. I'm going to take my wife's shoe collection and put it in the rear when we are on the road. Thanks again...Big dawg
Old 11-30-2002, 08:38 AM

Big Dawg..............don't be too quick to spend all that money ! ! ! I had exactly the same problem as you, and didn't like it for the same reason - blinding other drivers. I wrote about my cure some time ago, and now have something like 15,000 miles or more, loaded with my camper. These things install/remove in about 15 - 20 minutes and if I unload the camper without removing the supports, it just makes the ride a little choppy. Here's the web site I built, again...................... www.biglar.homestead.com/springsupport.html
Old 11-30-2002, 08:44 AM

;D ;D I should add that I lost one block on the way from SoCal to Alaska last summer, and used a piece of a loggers' tree falling wedge to replace it. Angle was just right, but they're expensive. It looks to me like the one piece block works a little better than the 2 piece. Good Luck. ;D ;D
Old 11-30-2002, 10:01 AM

I put air bags in my old '89 Ram 350. They made a big difference when towing my havy racecar trailer. I used to run them with 65-70 psi when loaded, and 5-10 when empty. You have to have at least 5-10 pounds in them or they will chaff through. ;D ;D