Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

How much is too much (long)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much is too much (long)?

At some point this spring I am planning on getting a set of injectors. My signature has my trucks current setup.

I am going to stick with the Edge EZ, unless I either double my income or win the lotto, baking the VP44 is not an option. One of my long term goals is to acquire a 30' fiver that will be real close to the max weight that I can be at legally. Currently I do haul/tow 2k to 5k pounds back and forth over Eisenhower (10.5k feet and 20 odd miles of 5 - 7% grades).

I have a choice right now of picking up either a set of used stage 2 or stage 3 injectors. I was convinced to stay with the 2's but the 3's are a little less smoky (so I've heard, different brand and not EDM's) than the 2's and I like the power. Neither of the owners do a lot of towing or hauling and obviously the EGT's are my main concern. I may upgrade my turbo to a 35/40 hybrid, and or a 4" exhaust. But that is down the road. The clutch is not a concern, I have a SB Con OFE sitting in the garage waiting to be justified for installation.

When towing I do not want to be in a situation that I have tons of power to pull the weight, but the EGT's are forcing me to slow down when climbing the passes. 25mph in the right lane is unacceptable. 55mph would be the preferred choice.

So what do you think? Are the stage 3's going to be too much with my current truck setup? I would like to hear from all of you that have the ETH/DEE and do a lot of mountain towing.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:30 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My loaded trailers can get heavy 26000 lbs or more.....even tho my bombing is mild I get high EGT and some times on long steep up grades the engine will start to overheat

You need more incoming air to keep EGT down and better exhaust this will help EGT but the cure for high EGT is your throttle foot.....rear axle ratio makes a differance also when pulling heavy

These CTD's are capable of pulling heavy loads but get limited by the EGT, Engine coolant temp, Auto tranny fuild temp

I travel over I40 in NC offen and the mountain grade going over the Blue Ridge Mountains can be a truck killer (Ive seen many big rigs along side the road overheated) my truck will overheat if I dont stop and let it cool down about 3/4 of the way up the grade by the time I crest the mountain my EGT will be at 1400* and my speed will be 15-20 MPH....I need a bigger Turbo