Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

How far can I turna 102" wide goosneck with a short box.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How far can I turna 102" wide goosneck with a short box.

I have pulled tappered nose livestock trailers with my truck but I am looking at buying a used Campmaster toy hauler. It is a full 102" wide at the front. That means I need a minimume of 52 inches from the cab to the center of the ball. It already has a Pop-Up extender on it but thats only 9". I measured it and the ball is only around 32" behind teh cab. I could get the B&W ball extender but thats only 4 inches for a total of 13 inches. In my way of thinking I am still 7 inches short of being able to fully turn the truck. More than that realy because the Pop-Up extender becomes less efective the closer to 90 deg you get. Should I just pass on the trailer or is there anything I can do to make it work. I know I have seen people on here with short box trucks simaler to mine that are pulling trailers simaler to what I want.
The trailer is simaler to this one but with out the slide out.
http://trailerforsale.com/Campmaster_21.html
Old 05-29-2006, 10:10 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Draw a scale model, over-head view, of the truck, with ball in correct location.

Draw, and cut out, a scale drawing of the trailer, with it's hitch located correctly.

Place your paper trailer on your paper truck and pin the hitches together.

Now, swivel the trailer, until the trailer contacts the truck.

If your drawing is accurate, this will answer your question.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope you figure this out, if you do let me know I have a horse trailer that is 84" wide and I am having trouble getting it to work also.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:46 PM

Well for now it dont matter. I went in today at noon and asked abought the trailer and for now I am gona let it go. They have there heads so far up there rear ends that no one in there rite mind would buy that thing. Long Long long story short they are so far over priced I could just as well go buy a brand new one. I ran it threw NADA's website and came up with a figure of 18,500 high book for an 04(the book only gos back to 04, trailer is an 03). Average is around 16-17K They want 21,500 for it. After having them look it up them selves they dident have much to say. They still where not willing to drop one penny though so I told them good luck selling it and see ya latter.

On with the search.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by WVdodgeman
Hope you figure this out, if you do let me know I have a horse trailer that is 84" wide and I am having trouble getting it to work also.
Depending on what hitch you have there is a addapter from B&W that moves the ball back 4 inches, but it only works withthe B&W Turnover ball like I have. That should be close to what you need. Otherwise I woud look at the Pop-up brand addapter. It goes on the trailer hitch and is a 9 inch extention. The only problem is that the closer to 90 deg you get the less efective it gets. Do a search on here for Pop-Up addaptors or ask around on here.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:14 PM

One possibility would be if you want to get 5th wheel hitch, and use a slider. You can get a different hitch tube to hook it up.

http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant...ory_Code=FWGNA

Just a thought.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:43 PM

i have a similar trailer, same width and with a shortbed. i use both the 9 inch popup and the bw 4 inch extender. if you pay attention you can pull it no problems. i cannot do 90 degrees but going around corners and getting it where i need to i havent had any problems. although i did smasjh my cab with this setup it ws my fault for getting into a tight spot and not paying attention. see my photos for the setup
Old 06-02-2006, 02:14 AM

You could do the Pull-Rite 24K Slider Hitch. It is what I will be getting when I tow my 2-car GN scar hauler which is a full 102" wide at the nose. It will enable the trailer nose to slide back 18" when at 90-degrees. It was designed for short box trailers. Hope this helps!
Old 06-03-2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by djcheez
i have a similar trailer, same width and with a shortbed. i use both the 9 inch popup and the bw 4 inch extender. if you pay attention you can pull it no problems. i cannot do 90 degrees but going around corners and getting it where i need to i havent had any problems. although i did smasjh my cab with this setup it ws my fault for getting into a tight spot and not paying attention. see my photos for the setup

Ya. Your who i was thinking of when i was posting this. I was hoping you would chime in. I knew I had seen your pics before but couldent find them. I couldent remember what you had said abought the turning clearence. The trailer I was looking at already has the Pop-up adapter so all i would have to do is get the 4" extension from B&W. Oh well, it dont matter for now. They are asking way to much for the trailer. They want 21,500 for a 16,500 trailer. I have them down to 18,500 but still to much so i am gong to wait till they come down more or just pass on it for now.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
You could do the Pull-Rite 24K Slider Hitch. It is what I will be getting when I tow my 2-car GN scar hauler which is a full 102" wide at the nose. It will enable the trailer nose to slide back 18" when at 90-degrees. It was designed for short box trailers. Hope this helps!

I like the idea of the slider but refuse to stick one of those huge box eating A frames in my truck. I use my box WAY to much to hasle with having those huge wastes of space in it. Love the function but hate the size of them.