Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

how big a fifth wheel can my truck haul

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how big a fifth wheel can my truck haul

I have a 04.5 quad cab long bed with a cummins of course, full set a gauges high flow exaust and intake.
I have been looking at toy hauler fifth wheels and would like to know what would be my max empty trailer weight
Old 07-09-2006, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should put your truck in your signature so we know what you have and can help answer your questions better.

I looked in your profile and yours is a 2500. That means your GVWR is 9000lbs. A heavy 5th wheel will put you over the GVWR, especially on your rear axle.

GVWR is the weight of your truck and all it's cargo.

GCVWR is the weight of your truck, it's cargo, any trailer you are pulling and it's cargo.

The GCVWR of all of our 3rd gen trucks is the same whether it is a dually, 2500 or SRW 3500. That is 21,000lbs with 3.73 gears and 23,000lbs with 4.10s.

Like I mentioned already....your main concern will be the pin weight from the 5ver. Air bags will help but the tires are the main weak point.

Personally, I would try to stay as light on the pin weight as possible and add air bags and keep E-rated tires on it to pull a 5th wheel toy hauler.

A dually, would be much more stable and "legal" to haul a heavy 5th wheel toy hauler. Your truck will pull it, but how safe?

To answer your direct question..........you need to weigh your truck (probably around 7500lbs) and subtract that weight from either 21,000 or 23,000lbs depending on your rear axle ratio........and that tells you what you can legally "PULL". Probably in the neighborhood of 13,000lbs legally. Your truck is capable of pulling more though.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
As Texas stated, your biggest problem is going to be pin weight. By time you get the fuel topped off, put some tools in, add the hitch and mama and the kids and dog, it is amazing how quickly the weight of your truck adds up. Then, subtract that from your GVWR, and it typically does not give you very much leeway. My 2500 ended up at about 1100 pounds allowable pin weight, and that is not a very big fiver.

Then, you go shopping and pin weights are all over the board pending the type and quality of construction of the rig. Typically, the better the rig, the more it weighs. Floor plan configurations change the pin weight. And, you get a heavier one with light pin weight and it will probably give you whiplash with the chucking action. I would be looking in the 29' area and something light.

Bob
Old 07-09-2006, 02:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Those guys pretty much nailed it. Pin weight, plus the weight of the hitch assembly it's self, and anyone or anything extra in the pickup adds up pretty quickly.

In 5th wheels hitch weight is usually between 15% and a bit over 20% of the weight of the trailer, but toy haulers can vary a bit more widely.

As an example my 30' Patio-Hauler lists 1900 pound hitch weight empty. Loaded up with two quads plus water and camping gear, it's probably right around 1900 or 2000, but loaded with camping gear and water and no quads, pin weight is probably quite a bit heavier (since water tanks are ahead of the axles and garage is behind).
Old 07-11-2006, 10:11 PM
FAY

Tires?

Does anyone know if G rated tire are available for SRW pickups down in the US? My truck has LT265/70R17E Michelin tires. I have asked around here if there are G rated tires available in that size and I have been told they are not available. I would like to put G rated tires on the rear wheels. I am waiting for Dodge to manufacture a 4500 or 5500 DRW model, but I want this 3500 SRW truck to haul as much as possible until then. All I know is to get a RV fiver trailer with all the heavy suff over or behind the trailer axles to make the tongue weight as light as possible. Have the sleeping quarters in the front of the trailer. Tires are the limiting factor for these CTD units.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
As far as I know (which could be wrong) you would need to go to 19.5 wheels to go to G rated tires.

Major $$$, and it doesn't do anything it the truck's legal weight sticker on the door...
Old 07-12-2006, 10:34 AM
FAY

Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
As far as I know (which could be wrong) you would need to go to 19.5 wheels to go to G rated tires.

Major $$$, and it doesn't do anything if the truck's legal weight sticker on the door...
Thanks, Jeff, for your informative thought. I never really considered the legal significance of the door sticker very often because I have farm plates on the truck, but I should. I would like G rated rear tires for a greater safety margin. I am presently looking for a new heavy flat deck trailer. I used to own a 24 ft. triple flat deck that I overloaded severely and the tongue weights were excessive. Actually, the unit felt slightly unstable in sweeping corners if I drove at highway speeds. I just kept the tires on the trailer and towing vehicle somewhat over pressured and the ground speed of the combined unit low. When very heavily loaded I would not exceed 40 mph on the highway. The unit periodically operated within 75 miles of our farm and I never was required to cross any government weigh scale. When I traveled any far distances from home at highway speeds I always made sure the load was legal weight for my own and other drivers safety. I do feel the sticker GVWR of the Dodge trucks could be rated a little higher and still be safe, but I suppose they want a safety margin.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:19 AM

FAY, Don't pay attention too the stickers on the door....here in alberta you have nothing too worry about!!! as long as you dont exceed the tire ratings....which stock tires can carry 6380 pounds per axle. And if you are farmer or pulling your personal trailer you will never have too weigh up!!