Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Hensley Arrow Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Ron, Just a note I DO ENDORSE the Hensley and agree its well worth the money.If I towed by bumper again I'd own one for sure.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisM55
every body that has a Hensley wants to tell you how great there investment was so they can justify it to themselves! If you need a 3K hitch to get a trailer to pull properly with an 8000# tow rig you need to learn to setup and load your trailer. IF you set it up there is no sway anyway.
Wrong. This is nothing more than willful ignorance.

I've been towing travel trailers for more than 30-years, my family for nearly 60-years. I grew up with it. I've also seen when a well-sorted conventionally-hitched rig (down to wheel-by-wheel weights; have you done yours?) had to make an emergency maneuver -- calmly, smoothly -- and still rolled.

Not to mention guys who ONLY get it most of the way in rigging (more than 90% of TV/TT combinations are incorrectly set-up; lack of "sway feel" is NOT the determinant, it is half-assed); rollovers are one ugly sight. I cranked out the miles as an OTR driver and I've seen plenty of bad rigs, okay rigs and far too few rigs that "looked good".

The Hensley was cheap. Go look at what they're selling for used. If I sell mine tomorrow YOUR (inexpensive) hitch will have cost about the same. Maybe more.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:21 AM

are you saying towing travel trailers are inherently dangerous.... without a hensley hitch?

in the example below, trailer is loaded correctly and not over weight. yet you are saying it's inherently dangerous in an emergency maneuver. resulting in a roll...

Originally Posted by Rednax
Wrong. This is nothing more than willful ignorance.

I've been towing travel trailers for more than 30-years, my family for nearly 60-years. I grew up with it. I've also seen when a well-sorted conventionally-hitched rig (down to wheel-by-wheel weights; have you done yours?) had to make an emergency maneuver -- calmly, smoothly -- and still rolled.

Not to mention guys who ONLY get it most of the way in rigging (more than 90% of TV/TT combinations are incorrectly set-up; lack of "sway feel" is NOT the determinant, it is half-assed); rollovers are one ugly sight. I cranked out the miles as an OTR driver and I've seen plenty of bad rigs, okay rigs and far too few rigs that "looked good".

The Hensley was cheap. Go look at what they're selling for used. If I sell mine tomorrow YOUR (inexpensive) hitch will have cost about the same. Maybe more.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:47 AM

The Hensley has been outperformed and under priced by the Pro pride and right now the Pro pride is a lot cheaper,AND it is better.It is everything the Hensley is,and its adjustable,no need to buy a replacement stinger for different height TV's.
http://www.propridehitch.com/

DO some reading on the 3P hitch at
http://www.myrvtalk.com/ and see for yourself.compare the Hensley to the Pro pride.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:49 AM

Sean, nice web site! unlike the hensley arrow site. yours contains a bit of information on how hitch works.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:08 AM

I haven't seen the need for it.

I towed a 26ft, 5000lb TT with a 98 Durango and then a 2001 Yukon XL...

Now tow a 31ft, 9500lb TT. Have towed it with the Yukon XL, a 04 2500 series Quad cab and now my Megacab..

Sway has never been an issue on either trailer and I think the key is the right amount of tongue weight...

This last summer my single friction sway popped off (bad spring clip). I didn't realize it, till a visible inspection at the gas station...

Save the $ on the hitch and assuming you have a TT with 15" D rated tires, upgrade them to 15" or 16" e-rated tires... Better investment in my view.

My $.02 worth,

Bryan
Old 04-02-2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by 2500
Sean, nice web site! unlike the hensley arrow site. yours contains a bit of information on how hitch works.
Thank you. It's a work in progress. We add stuff almost daily.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by troll3193
I haven't seen the need for it.

I towed a 26ft, 5000lb TT with a 98 Durango and then a 2001 Yukon XL...

Now tow a 31ft, 9500lb TT. Have towed it with the Yukon XL, a 04 2500 series Quad cab and now my Megacab..

Sway has never been an issue on either trailer and I think the key is the right amount of tongue weight...

This last summer my single friction sway popped off (bad spring clip). I didn't realize it, till a visible inspection at the gas station...

Save the $ on the hitch and assuming you have a TT with 15" D rated tires, upgrade them to 15" or 16" e-rated tires... Better investment in my view.

My $.02 worth,

Bryan
Every trailer pulls a little different,but many trailer do need some help or a bigger tow vehicle to stay straight. My 14ft tandem axle dump trailer pulls straight and true,even loaded at 14000 lbs,it tracks great behind my pickups,and requires no sway control or WD bars to pull easily.Tongue weight varys between 1000-2000lbs,depending on how its loaded. On the other hand,my sunnybrook 3310 has 1200 lbs of tongue weight,and a total weight of close to 9000 when travelling,that is plenty of tongue weight,yet i get into sway with my reese 1200 lb bars and sway control,no matter how i load the trailer,or which truck i use my 2000Dodge/Cummins (138" wb) or my GMC crew cab 153" WB.I get sway with trucks as i pass them,and in cross winds,the best way ive helped aleviate it is to add weight to the tow vehicle,firewood in the bed,and my golf cart work the best.A Pro pride hitch from Sean is one of the hitches im considering,the Hensley is not,due mostly to its extra cost and unadjustable stinger which I need there is a 4" hitchg height difference between my trucks,and i want to be able to use both. BTW,when i tow this same trailer with my dads 3500 Dodge dually quad cab,i dont even have to use WD bars or sway control,and it pulls rock steady,better than my trucks with bars,sway control,and weight. The dual wheel truck with long wheelbase has a huge advantage pulling heavy bumper pull trailers.
I have no doubt that Sean's hitch would make my truck pull better with a trailer than without it,due to the straight truck effect you get with the trapazoid setup.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:45 PM

It has often been said that you can not have too much truck. If you haul trailers at all, dually 3500 is an answer to a prayer.