Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

HELP....4 wire to 7 wire

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP....4 wire to 7 wire

My dad has a '05 1/2 ton dodge gasser and he wants to install a brake controller, however it only came with the 4 wire harness factory installed. Does anyone know what to do to get hook up the brake controller. Where does the brake controller hook into under the dash to send back the power, and where is the other end of that wire. I hope I made myself clear enough.

If anyone has anything that can help me figure this out would be much appreciated.

thanks
Old 10-23-2006, 10:23 PM
DBF

Use 10 or 12-gage wire off battery positive, to a 30-amp fuse, to the controller input. You can route the wire any way you want.

From the controller, route the wire back to the rear of the truck. Buy a 4pin-to-7pin converter from a RV place. Wire the brake output wire to the correct terminal in the 7pin socket.

Take another 10 or 12 gage wire and run it from battery + thru another 30-amp fuse and route it all the way to the back; wire it into the 7pin socket's "+12V" terminal. This will charge the trailer battery while you're running.

The 4pin leads will take care of left, right, brakes, and ground. You may well want to run another (10 or 12 gage) ground wire to accomodate all the power being supplied.

Wrap it up to keep out water. If you want to tow something with a 4pin plug, just unplug your 4-to-7 converter and hook up.

Regards, DBF
Old 10-24-2006, 07:31 PM

What I do is buy a plug made by Hoppy that has the 7 prong and the 4 prone made into one plug(about $24 @ WalMart), your 4 wire will plug into it and then run the wire(Blue wire) from the the controller back to it and wire it up.
Contoller has to have a positive, negative and a wire to the brake light switch to activate it and one run from the controller(blue) to the plug.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
"to a 30-amp fuse"

Not quite. Your best choice will be a 30 amp self resetting breaker. If there is a short, you will still have pulsing brakes, instead of no brakes at all. Auto Zone has them for a couple of bucks. You controller manual should say this.

I would suggest also, an adapter pigtail for the truck to the brake controller. Most trucks will be prewired and if you look under the dash, usually to the left of the steering wheel, you'll find a pigtail with a paice of tape over it. that's for the brake controller. You can get a specefic pigtail ready to go for your truck.

You may need to add a relay in the panel under the hood. that's where the pigtail runs to.

If you have the pigtail and a relay, all that's left is the 7 way connector at the back. You can even order one for the specefic truck that plugs into the harness at the back.

If you don't have a need for a charge line at the trailer (fridge or recharging breakaway battery) then your probably done. A charge line will usually require you to run a #10 to the connector in back.

Lastly, do yourself a favor and do not rely on the ball for groung. Physically connect a ground wire on bothe sides of the hitch (truck and trailer)
Old 10-24-2006, 10:24 PM
DBF

Originally Posted by charliez
"to a 30-amp fuse"

Not quite. Your best choice will be a 30 amp self resetting breaker. If there is a short, you will still have pulsing brakes, instead of no brakes at all. Auto Zone has them for a couple of bucks. You controller manual should say this.
You're right. That's what I have, just forgot. Thanks for the correction.

Regards, DBF