Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Heavy Towing...your honest opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heavy Towing...your honest opinion

I have a part time business of hauling junk cars, trucks, equip, etc to the steel shredder for extra money, and while working on a farm, was offered to haul a large truck...actually very large.

Its a late 80's Ford L9000 (old coal bucket) No drivetrain, no bed. Just cab, 4 axles and a frame. I am not worried about weight because i have a heavy 14,000 lb trailer, a Class 5 Hitch, reciever, and ball and a heavy rear suspension on the truck, with excellent trailer brakes, etc.

My worry is size. My trailer is not a 5er, so the truck will look very large on the trailer. Is that gonna lead to my chances of being pulled over, and hassled? I dont think im illegal, but i hate the "fine print" Ill be pulling about 20 miles of state routes
Old 09-22-2005, 04:15 PM

if your within your GCVWR then you should be fine
Old 09-22-2005, 04:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Check with the DOT of your state for maximum width. You may need an "oversized load" permit, even if it's within all weight limits.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Banned

WARNING!

Before you go ape you better check with the state.

I believe you are in for a very rude awakening in PA.

IOU 2 cents, bad week.

Old 09-22-2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by csramsey640
I have a part time business of hauling junk cars, trucks, equip, etc to the steel shredder for extra money, and while working on a farm, was offered to haul a large truck...actually very large.

Its a late 80's Ford L9000 (old coal bucket) No drivetrain, no bed. Just cab, 4 axles and a frame. I am not worried about weight because i have a heavy 14,000 lb trailer, a Class 5 Hitch, reciever, and ball and a heavy rear suspension on the truck, with excellent trailer brakes, etc.

My worry is size. My trailer is not a 5er, so the truck will look very large on the trailer. Is that gonna lead to my chances of being pulled over, and hassled? I dont think im illegal, but i hate the "fine print" Ill be pulling about 20 miles of state routes

If your legal for the weight and width, less than 8" wide, you are OK. If you are not legal and hauling a big overweight looking rig you may get stopped.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by RickCJ
If your legal for the weight and width, less than 8" wide, you are OK. If you are not legal and hauling a big overweight looking rig you may get stopped.
Rick, sent you an e-mail to your msn account about the car trailer.

Ramsey, do you know what the truck weighs?
Old 09-23-2005, 08:11 AM

I dont honestly have a clue on weight, but im willing to bet about 4-5 ton.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:22 AM
Banned

Not a 5er?

I am guessing when you say that your trailer is not a 5er, meaning not a fifth wheel with a king pin or a gooseneck either? (still learning the lingo around here) I'm thinking you don't want to pull it on a bumper trailer. You'd have to have a pintle because I don't think you could get the tounge weight less than 500 lbs for a reciever hitch. It would ride like a load of rocks. In OK, the state width max is 8'6" and height is 13'6" and the weight is the GCVW of course.

I have a #14,000 gooseneck trailer (see gallery) and haul a JD 4020 with loader. All in all over #10,000 net cargo. Your L9000 is going to weight somewhere in the neighbor hood. My 3500 weighs in at #8000 alone. I'm also assuming your trailer has two #7000 axles and is not a dual tandem rig. You may bend your rims if you have a lot of manueving to do.

Be carefull what ever you do. Just remember they are easy to get going, but hard to shut down. Drive slow!

PS. Just noticed your exhaust brake, that is a good thing to have in this situation!
Old 09-23-2005, 08:30 AM
Banned

[IMG]

I found a used '93 model L9000 with a dump bed and snow plow and it weighs in at #34,500. I can't figure how much to subtract for the stuff you don't have, but it looks like it adds up fast!

Apparently the image didn't work. How do you post an image on this thing?
Old 09-23-2005, 09:06 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
I am guessing when you say that your trailer is not a 5er, meaning not a fifth wheel with a king pin or a gooseneck either? (still learning the lingo around here) I'm thinking you don't want to pull it on a bumper trailer. You'd have to have a pintle because I don't think you could get the tounge weight less than 500 lbs for a reciever hitch. It would ride like a load of rocks. In OK, the state width max is 8'6" and height is 13'6" and the weight is the GCVW of course.

I have a #14,000 gooseneck trailer (see gallery) and haul a JD 4020 with loader. All in all over #10,000 net cargo. Your L9000 is going to weight somewhere in the neighbor hood. My 3500 weighs in at #8000 alone. I'm also assuming your trailer has two #7000 axles and is not a dual tandem rig. You may bend your rims if you have a lot of manueving to do.

Be carefull what ever you do. Just remember they are easy to get going, but hard to shut down. Drive slow!

PS. Just noticed your exhaust brake, that is a good thing to have in this situation!
His class 5 receiver should have a tongue weight rating of about 1000 - 1200 lbs - much more than the factory class 4......it sounds as if he does have the appropriate receiver and hitch for his 14k trailer.......the question is, how much does that skeleton of a L9000 weigh?
Old 09-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
[IMG]

I found a used '93 model L9000 with a dump bed and snow plow and it weighs in at #34,500. I can't figure how much to subtract for the stuff you don't have, but it looks like it adds up fast!

Apparently the image didn't work. How do you post an image on this thing?
You have to have the image uploaded in your gallery before you can attach the pic to your post. Once it is in your gallery, click on the pic to enlarge it and the scroll down the screen and find the line that says "UBB code". Copy and paste the text in that line into your post......that's it.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:40 AM
Banned

Ill be pulling about 20 miles of state routes

Did you guys miss this?

If it were me and I were under GCVWR I would just run it. Now if it is more like 200 miles I would be contacting the DOT and getting all my ducks in a row. The fines aren't too bad, but the headaches that go along with them are what will really ruin your day.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Banned

Dog

Look at the first line in the original post...... see the word "business"

I have been in this business for 30 years. Get one of them little tickets
in PA and see just how hard they pull your pucker string. In PA a Ford
F-350 with a 8 foot dump can not legal but a shade over 4000 pounds
in the bed.

It's better to get permission then to seek forgiveness is PA.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:06 PM

I dont honestly have a clue on weight, but im willing to bet about 4-5 ton.
Well, if it had the engine, tranny and no bed, it would probably weigh around 15-17k, depending on what else is left on the truck. No engine and tranny, could probably knock off 4k or so.

Take the mirrors off, or fold them in, you should be fine width-wise, depending on how wide the trailer is. Truck shouldn't be much over 96" wide. The flatbed on my Ram is 94" wide.

The DOT guys in any state or certain locales, can be a real PITA.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:58 PM

Ill answer a few questions.

Yes I do have a class 5 hitch, with a 15,000 lb pintle setup. weight wise(will truck/trailer handle it) Yes it will handle it, but I think what im looking at is how odd it looks. I dont need any extra heat from the Law because it looks oversized compared to my pickup and trailer combo.

I think we are gonna give her a shot.

Quick Reply: Heavy Towing...your honest opinion