Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Hauling with auto trany vs. standard???...need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 04:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
With a farm tag, you can use it for your own personal use and not have to get a CDL.

Now if you haul for hire, then that tosses you into the arena of having the CDL and all the other items that come with be a commercial driver (log books, DOT #s, etc).
Old 11-08-2007, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome, that's what I've heard. But what about any restrictions? If any?? Still a truck that size I wont need the CDL? That would be freakin great! I'm only hauling, tractors, some cattle, and tons of hay. So I'll be good in that area. Isn't a farm tag supposed to be a little cheaper on insurance and registering it too?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:32 PM

AFAIK, being a farm-use vehicle gets you around the CDL requirement. And the farm registration should be cheaper on registration fees, but not sure about insurance.

I think there may be limits on how far from home you can operate the vehicle, but it's hard to enforce since there's no way to tell where you're originally from when they see you driving down the road.

Just remember, if you're ever stopped, make sure you tell them whatever you're hauling is yours. If they find you're hauling for someone else and getting paid, they'll have a field day with you.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:05 PM

Ok, I have heard that also. About telling them the load is mine that I'm hauling.

Even though the International is kinda a mini semi, I won't need the CDL ? What size of the truck will I have to have a CDL even if I have farm tags???

Thanks for the help Justin! I met you down in Houston, when we went to Baytown right? And stayed at Tylers place?

I'm gonna be finding out insurance tomorrow or Monday on a truck that I'm looking at. Then gonna sell mine and down size to still 2nd gen. 2wd, 6 speed. I'm gonna sell mine as is, so all the mods on it is gonna go with it, except the radar detector, cb, and tool box. If anyone knows someone looking for a truck like mine specified below let me know.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:00 AM

Yeah, that was me in Houston.

I'm not sure if there is an upper limit on truck size to still get away with the farm exemption for the CDL. I don't think that there is, but I never looked real close into all the regs. I've talked to guys before that have semis to use for hauling their own grain and IIRC they didn't have CDLs. I used to have a CDL when I was in college, but dropped it because it wasn't worth the expense (and no defensive driving when I get a chance stop and talk with a highway patrolman).
Old 11-09-2007, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
I thought I have seen on this forum somewhere that for nearly the same price ($6,000 if I remember correctly) one can have an Allison tranny put in? That should hold to some towing...
-P
if your gonna spend 6k on a generic allison tranny(which can't hold up to an edge juice on stage 5 on my friends truck) you would be better off with a much higher quality product like goerends-dtt-suncoast...for now i can only dream though. Im afraid to go over 2k rpms in my truck anymore with the stock tranny in it, but every time I am able to save up some sort of money to buy parts something else comes up that is a bit more important to me...dog's vet bill... that is one industry that needs to be regulated!
Old 11-09-2007, 11:09 AM

Yeah, I can't do a CDL for that reason. That's why I was wondering about it. I'm gonna be talking to the insurance guy here in a few hours or Monday about it. If I get farm tags, no CDL and insure it through my business then I can save so much more than insuring it regularly. Will let ya'll know what comes of it! Thanks for the help, again if anyone knows someone that's good in the mini semi dept. - single axle day cab trucks...send them my way just have them PM me!
Old 11-10-2007, 07:36 AM

I drive a single '02 single axle day cab international every day for work 258k on the od... If your not use to med / heavy duty trucks, I would look at a 7-speed eaton manual, it is a very basic tranny and IMO probably the easiest one to learn to shift when first starting out... We have a hand full of these trucks that we use in city deliveries, we run the snot out of them and they come back for more... The ones we have, have detroit engines in them with 7-speeds... We also had a international straight truck that had a detroit w/allison auto behind it... That was the biggest piece of junk and couldnt hardly get out of it's own way, that tranny was a slipping piece of junk and the engine just sat there are spun at max rpms (out of it's torque band) that whole time you would drive it...

You should be able to easily pick up one of these trucks for way less then $10k, and you have the added bonus of a factory on board air system...
Old 11-10-2007, 08:01 AM

I didn't see you say anywhere what gears you have? I had a Dodge CTD with 355's and it pulled like crap. Now I have 410's and it's great. Gets rolling good and I can actually pass someone while towing now. I don't pull the kind of weight you do though. I used to pull that kind of weight, but in a CAT powered Ford. Like the man said right tool for the right job.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:51 PM

Asher...
I'm looking at those right now, International, with a DT466, 93-94 year model, p-pumped, 200-400k miles on it. They start at $6700, what do you mean they have a factory on board air system? Also, they have air brakes, and my trailer has electric, that won't be anything hard to put on the truck..right??

My gears are 4.10 but the wieght is my biggest problem.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:58 PM

If you have air brakes you have a factory compressor and air tanks on the truck... I made up a glad hand that has a quick connect air line fitting on it... If I need air, I just lock the glad hand on the trailer air brake line (red side) and hit the trailer brake button in the truck... It comes in very handy if you need to air up a tire or run a impact or something... You have 120 psi on hand any time the truck is running and those tanks are about 10-15 gallons...

Those trucks seem to be VERY durable, they aren't any speed demons, but they pull fine for the job and will easily haul the load you are asking of it.... I scaled mine the other day (bobtail) and got 7,600 on the front axle, and 5,600 on the back, this might give you an idea of what kind of weight you are looking at...
Old 11-13-2007, 05:17 PM

I forgot to tell you, the only common problem I know with these trucks are water leaks... The windshield seals can leak on them and drip water on the floor boards. Some times it is just the clearance lights leaking, but other times the windshield seal it self is the problem... If you find one you like just have them run a hose over the cab real well and see it it gets wet inside... Also don't get one without A/C.. these trucks are little hot boxes with out A/C... (we have about a 50/50 mix) and the non-A/C ones suck to drive in the StL, MO summer time....
Old 11-14-2007, 11:30 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the help, like the idea of the on board air system. I can still hook up electric trailer brakes to it, can't I?? Yeah, I need to get one with A/C. Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:56 PM

i have an 07 dodge 3500 with the6.7 and the new auto 6 speed tranny and personally it runs and works harder than what my 06 3500 with the 5.9 6 speed man
Old 11-19-2007, 10:11 PM

It really doesn't seem right for me to answer, but what the heck. We pull an 11,000# fifth wheel, have an '03 2500 with ctd and auto. pulling this trailer is easy, have never had an issue and am looking to try and convince the wife we can handle more trailer. Okay, I'm over the dream now - you know she's gonna turn it down.