Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Grade Percentages

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re:Grade Percentages

Gentlemen,<br><br>Lary has already asked to keep this friendly. <br>While Lary hides from the animal activists...<br>Lets make sure we keep things civil.<br><br>This topic has had some good information. I do not want to have to pull out the<br>[move][/move]<br>keys.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I want to know is why they always use the same picture of a truck driving down the same triangle, regardless of what the actual grade is?
Shouldn't they use an actual representation of the actual grade in the picture for those of us who don't understand exactly what the &quot;8%&quot; means? ??? : ??? :

phox

[img width=150 height=150]http://highwaytrafficsupply.com/images/regulatory_signs.html/W7-1.jpg[/img]

Oh, I won't even mention how long it took me to find a linkable picture to post
Old 04-24-2003, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an actual representation of this topic.<br><br>
Old 04-24-2003, 10:45 PM

Ok, I'll stick my neck out on this one --
My information (Pocket ref by Thomas Glover) has a table of % grade to degrees, and according to it, 45 degrees = 100% grade, and 90 degrees is infinity percent grade. This is determined by the formula: % Grade = 100 * tan(slope) or (100 * vertical rise)/Horizontal distance. From this I would conclude that:
a. % grade is rise/run
b. It is possible to have a grade greater than 100%
c. The hypotenuse is not the run.
Sounds logical to me 8)
Old 04-25-2003, 02:22 AM

emjay thank you for the input. I was just looking for an old math book, looking to get info like that to post.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:26 AM

[quote author=bulabula link=board=11;threadid=13700;start=0#129015 date=1050587356]<br>I agree. I always thought the grade was a ratio of rise over run. If the road rises 5 feet up per 100 feet of roadway, the grade would be 5%.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Correct, this is the easiest way to think it out.<br><br>Hence...<br>2.5% is 2.5' or rise in 100' of horizontal run<br>10% is 10' of rise in 100' of horizontal run<br>7.8% is 7.8' of rise in 100' of horizontal run.<br>...and so on.<br>
Old 04-25-2003, 12:08 PM

{whew}, if I could instill as much energy as has gone into this discussion into my teenage sons to mow the lawn, I'd never cut the grass again.<br><br>Personally, I would call a 90 degree grade a &quot;wall&quot; or &quot;cliff&quot; depending if my head was looking up, or down.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:27 PM

Using the formula Thomas gave us to calculate percent from the tangent of the angle expressed as degrees, I get 1143%? Is that right? I think so, I hope Thomas can help us, as 85 is getting closer to undefined. I have figured this equation for figuring slope the &quot;non-dot&quot; way. 100[a(tan)]=x where a is the angle of the slope and x is the percent of slope. Of course, none of this means anything compared to the road signs we see, we need a formula to relate the dot's version of percentage slope to actual percentage slope. The dot's version is much simpler when actually on the road, since you are traveling on the &quot;hypotenuse&quot; of the equation, and you can just figure slope by looking at the odometer and measuring elevation increase. At the low angle generally travelled on a roadway, I would say the difference is neglegible anyways. Interesting discussion, TGIF. Let's all go camping. Jcamper
Old 04-25-2003, 12:28 PM

gary, it was a joke. A 100% grade could also be called an &quot;A&quot;. ....an old school teacher joke.<br><br>What time are you normally on 10m? I'd like to see how well my homemade windom works.

Quick Reply: Grade Percentages