Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Grade Percentages

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Grade Percentages

The third and fourth posts in this thread are correct. I would add four words to the two description: Grade is the ratio of rise to run expressed as a percent. Given this method of calculating grades it is possible, but not likely, to have a grade on a road greater than 100%. In your algebra class you calculated the slope of lines by putting rise over run. You also learned that horizontal lines have a slope of zero and that vertical lines have no slope (the slope is undefined). You can also calculate the grade if you know the angle the road makes with the horizontal. Take the tangent of this angle and express as a percent. The tangent of 45 degrees is 1 which is 100% The tangent of 4 degrees is just under .07 which is 7 percent, about the maximum grade you will see on a major highway.<br><br>The second post has a minor flaw - &quot;length of upgrade&quot; doesn't really describe the 'run', the horizontal component of the slope.<br><br>I don't think you need to spend much time contemplating the grade of roads that form 90 degree angles with the horizontal—I have yet to find one in my 1 million plus miles of driving.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:49 PM

fellows, I worked on the railroad for 33 years<br>as a locomotive engineer and the way they figured<br>the grade is for instance 1% x 1 mile (5280 ft)=<br>52.8 feet per mile rise so for every 1% you add<br>52.8 feet. I suppose the highway departments<br>do the same thing. On our charts over the railway<br>system it will give us the grade at a particular<br>location. You had better be ready for it with a<br>16,000 ton coal train.....Hope this helps.....
Old 04-21-2003, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=shortfieldbreak link=board=11;threadid=13700;start=0#130149 date=1050935933]<br>ps They also have a ride called Top Gun, and whoever painted the mural put F-15s on the carrier deck, not F-14s. <br>[/quote]<br><br>At least they weren't F-16's.<br>The TV station I work at was called on that by a viewer.<br>They get their file footage of aircraft confused quite a bit, especially of late, with the war goin' on.<br><br>phox
Old 04-23-2003, 11:31 AM

Thomas is exactly, precisely, right on the money. One foot forward for one foot up, is a 45 degree angle. Take a graph, with an x and y axis (horizontal and vertical). Plot one to the right, and one up from the origin. So obviously, you CAN have an angle steeper than 100%, it would be any angle greater than 45 degrees. I remember discussing this exact thing with our prof in college. Have a good one. Jcamper
Old 04-23-2003, 12:45 PM

I get what you are saying Gary- basically, the DOT &quot;dumbs down&quot; their listing of percentages on road signs so they would seem to &quot;make more sense&quot;. I am sure when these same engineers are actually building the roads, as you have mentioned, they are using actual math and engineering, instead of some goofy form of trigonometry. So I guess what you are saying is that we need to convert when using listed grade percentages in calculations. Jcamper
Old 04-23-2003, 01:41 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Lets keep it friendly here guys, obviously there is more than one way to skin a cat.<br><br> Hides from the animal activists.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:58 PM

It seems like Tim Stowe, Civil and Environmental Engineering Dept. Virginia Tech, hasn't been teaching the &quot;engineers and the DOT&quot;. Page 15 in his Introduction to Roadway Design gives a fairly simple illustration defining grade as it is used throughout the civil engineering world, not just in roadway design.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:22 PM

[quote author=JCamper link=board=11;threadid=13700;start=15#131003 date=1051119931]<br>they are using actual math and engineering, instead of some goofy form of trigonometry[/quote]<br><br> ??? ??? ???
Old 04-23-2003, 03:10 PM

Actually I have been doing the math, retiring several years ago after 37 years of teaching mathematics. The &quot;run&quot; that is shown in the illustration I linked to is the horizontal displacement—100 feet. The rise is the vertical displacement—6 feet. Rise over run results in .06 or 6 percent or 6 per hundred. The length of the hypotenuse in the illustration—what you are calling &quot;the sloping distance of actual TRAVEL&quot;—is never used in the calculation. In the illustration, the hypotenuse is just under 100.18 feet, little more than the 'run'. In fact, for grades normally encountered on primary roads (7 percent or less) the &quot;the sloping distance of actual TRAVEL&quot; is just slightly more than the run and results in a very small error if used to calculate grade.<br><br>The error on a slope that makes a 45 degree angle with the horizontal is significant. Rise over run results in a 100 percent grade. Rise over &quot;the sloping distance of actual TRAVEL&quot; results in just under a 71 percent grade.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:24 PM

Thank you Thomas, you are precisely correct on all counts. The DOT's usually simplify the equation for the layman by giving the slope distance as an example of run, but all civil engineering uses the correct mathematical formula you described based on the horizontal component, and trig is not goofy as reffered to in an earlier post, it has been used in civil engineering since the building of the pyramids 3500 years ago. The Greeks used it as well, as did the Romans, etc.
Old 04-23-2003, 05:10 PM

&quot;Rise over &quot;the sloping distance of actual TRAVEL&quot; results in just under a 71 percent grade.&quot;<br><br>Actually I wasn't agreeing with you. Taking the bold statement above in context I was showing that if one used the wrong information to calculate grade there is a fairly small error on near-horizontal slopes and a very large error at slopes that make a 45 degree angle with the horizontal.<br><br>The question the starter of this thread posed is &quot;How is the percentage obtained when referring to hill steepness?&quot; Your &quot;sloping distance of actual TRAVEL&quot;. has nothing to do with slope when considering rise over run.<br><br>As stated in my initial post in this thread, and to answer your question about slopes that intersect the horizontal at 90 degrees, &quot;vertical lines have no slope (the slope is undefined). &quot;My first post also showed you how to calculate grade percentages if you choose to work with angles rather than rise and run: &quot;You can also calculate the grade if you know the angle the road makes with the horizontal. Take the tangent of this angle and express as a percent.&quot;<br>

Quick Reply: Grade Percentages