Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Gooseneck Identification

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gooseneck Identification

Can anybody identify this hitch? It was in the truck when I bought it last fall. The ball pivots over and hides underneath the plate. I wan't really planning on using it in the near future, but now I think we are going to buy a gooseneck trailer for our skid loader and grounds mainenence. Any ideas would be great, Thanks
Old 02-13-2004, 08:37 PM

Oops, I forgot the pic
Old 02-13-2004, 08:40 PM

Another, with the the plate down, ready to haul
Old 02-13-2004, 10:23 PM
Banned

For a while our local Tractor Supply sold thoes type hitches, but I have not seen them in a couple years. Also another local farm/trailer store sold them, I believe they were made by Shelton.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:08 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
make **** sure you keep that thing gressed and try your best to keep rocks hay any thing that would get down in there because it will wedge it self and you will be left with a ball half way up and you cussing up a storm. had one on the ranch and evrey time we turned around it was either stuck in the open postion or the down postion and you dont know how mcuh fun it was beating on it with a negoating tool to geter to move LOL. othat than that it would or could be the i think resse flat bed hitch aint clear
Old 02-14-2004, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the advice, the more I look, I think it might be an Atlas. The main thing I was worried about was the weight rating, but every fold-a-way hitch I found has a 25K, so I should be fine. Thanks guys
Old 02-14-2004, 01:25 PM

I have seen them before but don't know who makes them...
Old 02-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Banned

The main thing I would be concerned about would be did they get the frame mounting hardware? Those were sold as a fold over hitch, and the mounting hardware for tying it to the frame was sold as another and separate piece. It sounds stupid, but I have seen trucks around here that only installed the fold over hitch. They simply cut the whole in the bed,and used 4 bolts to secure it to the BED. The hitch is useless with out the frame mounting hardware. The older I get, The more I wonder about people.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:47 PM

It is frame mounted. But, I always thought the sheetmetal in the bed was the strongest part of the truck Some people...
Old 02-15-2004, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by DodgeCowboy83
make **** sure you keep that thing gressed and try your best to keep rocks hay any thing that would get down in there because it will wedge it self and you will be left with a ball half way up and you cussing up a storm. had one on the ranch and evrey time we turned around it was either stuck in the open postion or the down postion and you dont know how mcuh fun it was beating on it with a negoating tool to geter to move LOL. othat than that it would or could be the i think resse flat bed hitch aint clear
We had the same problem with a hitch like this in a chevy we had. Definately keep it lubed. Ours got a good bit of looseness in it after about 6 years. You could grab the ball and it would move around about 1/2inch in each direction. They're not the best or strongest design in my opinion, but they seem to work OK if you take care of them. I think a few companies make/made them. The one I had was a reese.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:22 AM

I got one just like it in my other truck i bought it from a local farm supply the sticker on it had the manufacturer's name of Binkly they are located in Warrenton,Mo. Hope this helps