Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Gooseneck hitch for a megacab?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gooseneck hitch for a megacab?

Morning all,

Seeing as the mega cab is so long and the bed is short is anyone having problems with the mega cab hauling a gooseneck trailer? seems like it would ride very close to the cab?
Old 11-22-2006, 02:01 PM

What are you pulling? Maybe I can help you with a few suggestions. I pull an enclosed gooseneck with my mega cab. It is a full width.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:27 PM

I would recommend a B&W Turnover with a 5" set back instead of the regular ball. Just my 2 cents.

Adam
Old 11-22-2006, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TXbroker
Morning all,

Seeing as the mega cab is so long and the bed is short is anyone having problems with the mega cab hauling a gooseneck trailer? seems like it would ride very close to the cab?
Weve put them before,

on a shortbox and on a mega cab, your safest bet would be to get the extender for the trailer to still have the proper balance of where the ball should go and be able to safely tow the trailer..

Rick
Old 11-22-2006, 10:53 PM
Chapter President

I do believe there is an aerodynamic advantage of the maga cab towing a gooseneck. The air flow has less space to drop before it hits the front of the trailer. I know that's not what was asked but it's still what I think and I was wondering if anyone else had anything to say about that.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:26 AM

I'm with Adam - I would look into the B&W. I have ran them on several trucks and they make a great product. I have never had a short bed truck, so I could not speak from experience. My father in law has a short bed crew cab superduty ford and uses the 5" set back hitch from B&W - it work great for him and he hasn't had any cab/trailer clearance issues.

On the other hand, my cousin has a brand new duramax crew cab 4X4 short bed. He chose to intall a "standard" gooseneck hitch in his truck. He crushed his cab a few weeks ago while pulling a 28' gooseneck trailer in New Mexico. He has a miserable trip back to Texas listining to the flapping piece of plastic that he had taped over what was left of his rear window
Old 11-23-2006, 10:34 AM

This is all assuming an enclosed gooseneck? Shortbeds wouldn't need a setback ball for a flatbed gooseneck, right?
Old 11-23-2006, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by GOTMEAT
This is all assuming an enclosed gooseneck? Shortbeds wouldn't need a setback ball for a flatbed gooseneck, right?
I tow an flatbed gooseneck and have had no issues at all. It is a 25' PJ and I go in and out of some tight spots, never have come close to hitting the cab with it.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:48 AM

That's right GOTMEAT. I have a tapered nose on my GN horse trailer and do not use a setback, I also pull my GN flatbed without using a setback. I have an enclosed with a full-front and I DO use a setback. You can get a hitch that will roll back for tight turning to avoid the 'crunch' also. You can get a replacement coupler that fits your down tube that has a built in setback. Even guys with 8' beds and full-fronts have crunched the cab when trying to make too tight a turn. Use your mirrors, know what your turning radius is, you should have NO problems.

I agree that the MegaCab with it's short bed has some aero-dynamic advantages over the 8' bed. Less turbulence getting into the bed in front end of the trailer makes a lot of sense. The louvered tailgates pretty much took care of that issue.

The other place you might want to keep an eye on is the bed rail height, some guys have had a problem with the little taller truck and interference.

CD
Old 11-23-2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by CD in NM

The other place you might want to keep an eye on is the bed rail height, some guys have had a problem with the little taller truck and interference.

CD
Good point. While I am just a few inches above stock height, I purchased my GN flatdeck w/those clearance issues in mind. Our property has some rolling ground to it and I have gotten within an inch or two of bed contact, but that was fairly decent angles I was rolling around on . IMO, there is a good bit of clearnace even with the loss due to the mild lift I have on my truck.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Even with a custom-built GN, you have to mind the curbs and ditches when jack-knifing...

Old 11-23-2006, 06:07 PM

My ball is set 4" back from the center of the axle. It is welded in. I also use a PopUp extension on the trailer itself. This combo allows me to pretty much do anything I want to do. I still can hit the cab before I get to 90 degrees, but I just don't put my self in a position to have to jack knife that hard.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:36 PM

http://www.pullrite.com/SuperGlide.html
Old 11-26-2006, 03:10 PM

I use the Popup trailer hitch set-back and a modified B+W 4" setback when pulling my full width race trailer, but when pulling my GN workboat trailer I use the reg. ball. with no probs. They are single tree GN tailers for my boats, i like the single tree design much better than the dual(standard) Gn trailers, and they less chance of hitting on uneven ground. Also easier to get around while your messing around in the bed of the truck.