Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Gooseneck Hitch Failure, Check Yours!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Gooseneck Hitch Failure, Check Yours!!!

Take a moment and check the main pivot pin if you have a folding gooseneck ball of any brand in your pickup!

I recently noticed on my Curt Manufacturing Folding Gooseneck Hitch that the ball was flopping around and not staying locked in the full upright position. I went to fold it down and it almost fell out! The main pivot pin that the ball rotates on had sheared the tiny cotter pin on the end and this allowed the pin to slide over to the one side and come out of the hole on the other side.

I posted a picture in my gallery that shows the under side of the assembly. This view shows the main pin doesn't go far enough through the base assembly to allow the proper sized cotter pin to be used. Know what they did? They put a tiny .125 inch cotter pin in to hold the main pin and stamped 30,000# rating on it! Looks like some assembler was too scared to tell engineering they had a problem and just stuck a tiny little piece of baling wire through it because that is all that would fit!

I have contacted them about replacing my hitch and we'll see how well they come through for me. I'm not knocking their products, I actually like my hitch and have used the crud out of it. I just want you to be aware and take precautions.

Meanwhile, please check your rigs out and make sure this doesn't happen to you! You life and others could depend on it!

JWB
Old 05-31-2005, 03:20 PM

Great advice, I have worn out and had to replace the ball on a few trucks over the years, and I think that it is one of the most overlooked issues on farm trucks, most think that the ***** will last forever. But I am here to tell you that they do indeed wear out, it would surprise some it they took a mic and measured thiers after a few years. And the ones like yours that fold I know they have to wear also if not more as they are not as rigid as the mounted ones. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 06-01-2005, 08:31 AM
Banned

I spoke with the guys at Curt Manufacturing about the problem and they told me they will send me a new hitch. I have to go through the dealer to do this, but at least they are standing behind their product and taking care of the customers. Kudos to Curt for replacing the entire thing and not trying to patch it up.

Now, go check your hitches. I don't want your trailers coming off and hitting me!
Old 06-02-2005, 04:57 AM
Chapter President

Originally posted by 4x4dually
I spoke with the guys at Curt Manufacturing about the problem and they told me they will send me a new hitch. I have to go through the dealer to do this, but at least they are standing behind their product and taking care of the customers. Kudos to Curt for replacing the entire thing and not trying to patch it up.

Now, go check your hitches. I don't want your trailers coming off and hitting me!
I have the Curt Hitch too.....I have had to replace my gooseneck twice because of wear.....like you they have never given me any grief about it and always sent a new hitch plate and ball

I pull my gooseneck allot with heavy loads and can tell when its time to call CURT about a replacement......it has never gotten so bad that it mite break or lose a trailer just a noticeable clunking starting and stopping