Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Gooseneck distance to bedrails...??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gooseneck distance to bedrails...??

How much room between the bed rails and gooseneck should there be??

I just bought one and it is riding 4" over the rails... Is that too close? I actually need to lower the tongue or raise the back of the trailer to make it ride level... but with it riding that close and having torsion axles >> I am not sure what I need to do...

I thought about pulling the spacer on the rear leaf spring pack to lower the back of the truck a bit but it only looks like I will get about 1.25 inches there... I could go from 15" to 16" wheels and taller tires on the trailer... Not sure how to figure that without it being a complete guessing game... I need about 3" total to get it riding level and I hate to see a trailer riding high in the front rolling down the road >>> Especially when it is attached to ME!

Any suggestions??
Old 02-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Banned

Is that from the rails or the tailgate, I like to have atleast 8 inches but have hit before with 10 inches of clearance, 4" is way to close for me
Old 02-13-2008, 09:21 PM

Does yer 5th wheel have any adjustment to it? I have a Reese and it will adjust up and down to where I need it, some guys flip the springs to get the trailer to sit more level, if all else fails run it by a rv/trailer dealer they will set ya straight. my 5th wheel toyhauler rides around 4-5''s above my bed rail's you just have to watch when you go up or down angles.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:54 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I myself prefer 18"-24" of clearance..If you bought this new you might call the dealer/manufacturer and see if they will swap the out axles for you as your torsion flex axles have different indexing available to them.. Here's the link to Dexter Axle:

http://dexteraxle.com/products___literature

Old 02-13-2008, 11:07 PM

The Trailer is a WW brand gooseneck cargo trailer... I bought it used. (96 model) Looks a lot like this one except that it is shorter:

It is going to be my new work rig >> I am replacing my old 6x10 bumper pull...

I needed a short gooseneck for my business for getting in and out of close quarters parking lots... It is a 23' trailer with a 16' floor which means it is only going to be 3' longer than what I have now... That is the reason I bought it >> That and it was only $3K

The torsion axles are welded onto the frame and the trailer is about 4" from the tailgate area... That is what had me concerned...

I know I can get bigger wheels and tires and maybe get the 3" there ( it needs new tires anyway)... I know I can pull the spacers off the truck leaf springs and get an inch there (that is about 4" total)... I was just wondering it anyone knew of any tips or tricks that might also work without having to spend $1500 for new axles....

I don't lack much from getting it to ride level but I want it to ride level and not have to worry about hitting the bed also....
Old 02-14-2008, 06:50 AM

Get 16" tires which will be more suited for your usage, and get at least load range E.
Then set the trailer a little higher in front, when you'll be loaded it will be leveled otherwise it will look the opposite, lower on truck then rear of trailer

You need to have trailer raised somehow, even if you lift the front gooseneck tube you will be still low toward the end of bed. You might have to get a shop to add blocks under the 2 axles

Finally, even if it looks "not great" being higher on truck end, be happy with it, I rather have it NOT looking good than smashing the truck box everytime you go over a bump or other.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:13 AM

I have about 7-inches of tailgate clearence for me..and this is very borderline; i watch railroad crossings and other hills very closely. FWIW, mine is an old flatbed GN turned into a BBQ / tailgate rig for football games so my route is pretty consistent. I can not raise the GN much more so i am planning on flipping the axles this spring; bigger tires wont have too much impact.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:25 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Have a trailer shop grind the welds off the axles then mount the axles to a sub frame the hight you require, then remount the sub frame to your trailer. It shouldn't be that much money to do this.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestions... I think I am going to do a combination of all of these suggestions >> Except I don't think I am going to mess with my truck springs...

I think I will remove the axles and install a 4" square tubing sub-frame and reinstall the axles with custom wheels and taller tires...

It shouldn't be much more difficult than what I have done already... Yesterday I sectioned the roof and lowered it 12" to reduce wind resistance and give it a cool low profile look... I need to widen the curbside door and install a ton of equipment inside it... What is one more thing ... Right?!?! LOL

This is why I got a used trailer >> It was going to cost $12K to get one built up like I wanted!
Old 02-14-2008, 05:54 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Oilguy
Thanks for the suggestions... I think I am going to do a combination of all of these suggestions >> Except I don't think I am going to mess with my truck springs...

I think I will remove the axles and install a 4" square tubing sub-frame and reinstall the axles with custom wheels and taller tires...

It shouldn't be much more difficult than what I have done already... Yesterday I sectioned the roof and lowered it 12" to reduce wind resistance and give it a cool low profile look... I need to widen the curbside door and install a ton of equipment inside it... What is one more thing ... Right?!?! LOL

This is why I got a used trailer >> It was going to cost $12K to get one built up like I wanted!
This time when the torsion flex axles are installed I would bolt them to the sub-frame you're putting on it, it will make a change out down the road a whole lot easier...
Old 02-17-2008, 08:21 PM

Do what Busboy said, that's what I had done. 200 bucks. Makes my mule trailer look like a 4WD though. But 4 inches is NO WAY ENOUGH CLEARANCE. These dang trucks are too tall, I don't get the point of it. Also torsion axles will put all the weight, or most of it the front end of trailer is up too high. Not to mention it looks downright silly to have front of trailer a foot taller than rear.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by nelrod
Do what Busboy said, that's what I had done. 200 bucks. Makes my mule trailer look like a 4WD though. But 4 inches is NO WAY ENOUGH CLEARANCE. These dang trucks are too tall, I don't get the point of it. Also torsion axles will put all the weight, or most of it the front end of trailer is up too high. Not to mention it looks downright silly to have front of trailer a foot taller than rear.
I was looking at my trailer and I REALLY don't want the "Off Road" look... I want a low profile look... Just a couple of inches over the cab for that NON-Parachute effect.
It looks to me like I am going to have to section 4" out of the front and raise the goose neck up and get taller tires to get close to what I need... If I raise the trailer by lowering the axles I don't want to have to go more than 2"...

I think by doing it this way I will have 7" or clearance... Is that enough?? I do have to pull through the ditch or jump a curb every now and then... will 7" cover it??

Oilguy
Old 02-19-2008, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Oilguy
I do have to pull through the ditch or jump a curb every now and then... will 7" cover it??

Oilguy
You might clear a curb but not a ditch.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My gooseneck stock trailer is pretty marginal for clearance as well, I always run with the truck tailgate off and avoid sharp turns with inclines to minimise the chance of interference with the bed rails. This spring I am going with a bigger tire/wheel combo to give me some extra clearance as well. I love the low loading height the trailer gives me for loading livestock but would like the trailer to run a little more level and not have to be so carful with clearance issues.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:24 PM

7 inches. No good. You can be very careful, but one day you will come down on bedrails. I'm with you too, I don't like at all how my horse trailer looks now, but at least I don't have to constantly watch it . Looks like you got a good deal on trailer, good luck.

Quick Reply: Gooseneck distance to bedrails...??