Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Golf Cart Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Golf Cart Batteries

Originally posted by rockwithjason
I recently had a chat with an RVer who uses two 6V golf cart batteries in series instead of two 12V deep cycles for his rig. He claims they last alot longer before discharge. Anyone running this setup?
I'm running 4 Interstate 6-Volts that are about 540 AH combined! I have 2 125 watt solar panels, and a 3K Xanex inverter. Also run a solar boost for charging and monitoring. Only thing I can't run on it is the AC. Microwave and all run on it just fine. And so far haven't run out of juice on long outings.

Brian
Old 07-11-2005, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by OTR PU
Now I'm totally confused, SureFire and Hell Roaring both claim they invented the battery isolators. No doubt. . .if I continue searching for the answer. . .I'll just find others making the same claim. Not knocking anybodies suggestion or product, just stating what I've found. ...
OTR, there are typically two methods to connect aux batteries. One, using the classic diode based battery "isolators". And Two, using relay based battery "separators". The Battery separators nowdays are voltage controlled by a circuit that automatically senses when the master or vehicle battery is being charged by the alt. It will then close a heavy solenoid type relay contactor, bonding the battery systems together without additional voltage drop caused by diodes etc. This can also be done semi-automatically by simply tying the coil of a plain heavy duty relay to the ignition 12v bus. Tied together when running, separated when stopped. Just gotta have a continuous duty contactor that won't vaporize under continuous duty

Since diode type battery "isolators" require messing with the alternator voltage sensing circuitry, this becomes a PITA since most modern vehicle alternator regulator controls are smarter than the average housecat..
If you get those misconnected, the battery charging voltage(s) can be either too high or too low depending on how it was mis-applied.

They even have a model of a battery separator that is really ideal for RV's with batteries AND 12v power converters.. It allows bi-directional charging/separation of the vehicle AND the RV batts.

Good Luck
Keith
Old 07-14-2005, 06:25 PM

Plain & simple: (2) 6 volt wet deep cycle golf cart batterries are the cheapest , long lasting you can get for the money. You will need a battery charger, hopefully with a deep cycle battery cycle to bring them up to full voltage. Even plugged in, most RV's will not fully charge these.
Also, they will not fully charge driving, normally.When you get home, plug in the charger for 12-24 hrs' 2 amps, 15A if you are in a hurry. A small genrator on the road is plan b, or if you want to drop a couple large, go solar. Northern has a 1 amp/desulphate charger that can be used long term, in theory, will not overcharge, if you have 120AC, abou $45.
These batteries cost $45-50 at Sams or Walmart. You can use a large tall plastic storage case as a battery box.
Keep the water checked monthly. Should get 3-5 years, if you do not drain them past 25%, about 12.2V. 12.8 to 13= 100%, normally.
Happy camping, keep up the volts!!
Old 07-18-2005, 02:42 PM

I have four 6 volt Interstate's in my 5ver, needless to say I can run a long time on my DC to AC inverter before the bat voltage drops. The OLD 4000 watt Kohler RV generator in the belly charges them back at a pretty good rate, but this also has the 12 volt charge back feature. Knowing what I know now... I would not have anything other than 6 volters. And to think, the wife wants a new 5ver now, this thing is perfect for boondocking and NASCAR races!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 02:55 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by OTR PU
[B]Now I'm totally confused, SureFire and Hell Roaring both claim they invented the battery isolators. No doubt. . .if I continue searching for the answer. . .I'll just find others making the same claim. Not knocking anybodies suggestion or product, just stating what I've found. Truthfully, I know nuttin bout any of this, doin good to get a grounded plug in the wall socket correctly. Keep suggestions coming, I can use any help I can get. Got 4 solar panels sittin in the garage I'll mount to something affore I'm done. Ain'ta puttin out a volt where they're sittin.

Cheers,
Steve J

She's 10k & 25 foot rigged 'n ready.

[IMG] [/IMG]

This is what I am using in my truck, I have 2 Interstate 950 CCA starting batteries isolated with a Surepower isolator with a 100 amp solenoid in parallel. My electrical loads are on the aux. battery and only the starter is on the main. Out of view I have a duplicate system that connects to my Interstate 8-D deep cycle battery that is in my camper shell behind the wheel well. This is the power for all of the 12 volt loads and for my 3000 watt inverter.
All of heavy wiring is made with welding cable. 1/0 cable connects the 8-D to the system.
I had my charging system checked by a kid at Auto Zone and I really messed with his head when he would load the system and the isolators would cut in as the voltage dropped.
You have to be careful because there is over 3,400 amps waiting to be arced.
All of the batteries are charged by a Leece Neville alternator.

[IMG] [/IMG]

I like your rig, how long did they stretch the frame?
Jim