Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

GN Horse Trailer questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pull a stock trailers full of cattle and horses fairly often with my truck. In an open stock trailer they do tend to pull my single rear wheel around some but never to the point of being a problem. If your in a slant load those horses wont have enough room to move around enough to be a problem. If you think hard enough about it anything you pull behind you for a load can be a hazard. All you can do is honestly evaluate your driving skill and the condition of your equipment and use you common sense. What's completely safe for me might not be for the next guy or vice versa.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:44 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are valid arguements on both sides of teh dually/SRW issue.
I have pulled slantload horse trailers to and from shows, ect. for years with a SRW one-ton and never had a problem, and thats going across western KS on I-70, windiest place onearth probably, a 40 mph gust is nothing...
I have never had a horse, even BLM mustangs fresh from the gathers, get so rambunctious in a trailer as to cause a problem with the SRW.
The biggest advantage to the dually is that it will bear the stresses of a heavy trailer load better thatn a SRW.....meaning that both will pull the same weight, but the bearings and such on the dually will pull it for much longer.
A lot of three quarter tons used to be biult on a half ton frame, this bred the bias that you had to have a dually to tow.. this aint true anymore, with most 3/4 tons being built on teh one ton frame, using the same axle, bearings ect.
my 2cents worth......its realy a matter of preference anymore....

all that being said, tho I have a SRW, I realy prefer the looks of a dually and want to convert mine to duals.....
Old 12-23-2005, 06:22 AM

Roadranger

Roadranger did you buy the horse trailer,if so what kind of milage are you getting with the 19.5 tires pulling the trailer?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:10 PM

No, I haven't bought it yet. Truck camper didn't sell this past fall.
Will try again this spring...

With the 11ft 6 in. tall 4100lb truck camper I'm averaging 12 mpg on 19.5's. (paper figured), with a low of 10 mpg highway running against headwinds.
The 19.5's are only 1/2 in. taller than the factory 16 in. tires.- my speedo reads 4 mph slow.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by roadranger
Looking at a gooseneck living quarter horse trailer. It's a Bison 3 horse with a 10 ft. shortwall and slideout. Supposed to weigh empty at ~9200 lbs, and has a 24 ft. floor length. I'll be putting about 3000lbs in it, so it'll gross about 12,200 lbs.

The trailer weight is within Dodge's ratings for my '01 2500...

Do you think this is too much trailer for my truck?
Yep. I would want a 3500 dually.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GN Horse Trailer

Originally Posted by 5string
A couple of addtional points to consider: a dually will have 33% more rubber on the road which will help when braking; also, when traveling at interstate speeds I feel much more comfortable knowing that if one of my rear tires blows I've got another one on the ground. I'm not sure how much experience you have hauling horses but when they get to moving around back there a dually will provide much greater stability as well. I pull a 29 ft Sundowner living quarters with 4 horses loaded.............I know a SRW will "pull" it but there are several other things to consider with live weight. Just MHO........
Point well made 5string. I pull a 38ft triple axle liveaboard, 4 horse slant by Jamco. When I don't have the mules back there, there's a Jeep Wrangler parked. Not quite the same as live animals, but the load can still shift, if not properly secured. Dually is the only safe way to travel. An SRW has it's own little niche, in the marketplace, but not in practicality.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:10 PM

I would go to: http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/for....asp?forumid=2 and ask your question there or do a search. You will probably find someone there that has same horse trailer or nearly identical and find out what their experience is pulling it.

I pull a 24' Hart 3 horse slant load (about 10k loaded) behind my SWD truck and it is very stable and tracks extremely well. I think you will be in good shape expecially with having an E-Brake already. Worst thing is you try it and find out it's marginal and you then have an excuse to buy a 3500. That's what happened to me when we upgraded from a bumper pull 2 horse and bought the Hart 3 horse GN. My '95 2500 12 valve would pull it OK but felt under-braked and the old tranny was questionable. Oh honey...we need a new truck the horses won't be safe! Worked like a charm, we had a new truck that month!