Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Fuel Transfer Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Transfer Tanks

Ok, so I have been looking at fuel transfer tanks for the bed of the pickup (probably just a 50 gal. with hand pump). I notice that they all have a sticker on them that says does not meet DOT regulations for hauling flammable fuels. Thus, not approved to haul gas. Well most of the time this is not a big deal, I usually only want to haul diesel. But question is this, is it just not approved by the DOT, or is there actually something structurally wrong with these tanks that make them unsuitable for carrying gasoline? I am guessing that it doesn't meet the DOT standards for if the vehicle is involved in a crash, I just want to know if the tank itself is capable of holding flammable fuels.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cummins66
Ok, so I have been looking at fuel transfer tanks for the bed of the pickup (probably just a 50 gal. with hand pump). I notice that they all have a sticker on them that says does not meet DOT regulations for hauling flammable fuels. Thus, not approved to haul gas. Well most of the time this is not a big deal, I usually only want to haul diesel. But question is this, is it just not approved by the DOT, or is there actually something structurally wrong with these tanks that make them unsuitable for carrying gasoline? I am guessing that it doesn't meet the DOT standards for if the vehicle is involved in a crash, I just want to know if the tank itself is capable of holding flammable fuels.
The tank will hold fuel just fine. It just doesnt have a plastic or rubber bladder in it to pass DOT safety. So if you get hit or in a wreck and the metal tank punctures or dents the fuel should not leak out. I thought about getting a 75 gallon and making it my regular tank. I think I will on my next Cummins.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:44 PM

The tanks are fine for all types of fuels just not DOT approved for vehicle use. As in tying into the vehicles fuel system. Though there are such setups available that are approved. You will be fine hauling gas or diesel, just make sure to have a vented cap on it and this day and age a locking cap!!